Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The thread about deer camp being near and upon us reminded me of what I and my huting friends do to keep, and sometimes gain for the first time, access to private land to hunt upon.

Maybe these will assist some of you, and if YOU have ideas or tactics that have worked for you, gaining hunting access where you live, PLEASE add them here!

Out here in SE Washingtons arid Mule Deer country, one needs to have access to many hundred of acres of land (thousands of acres is better) to have a place to hunt. Most of the land owned around here is measured in hundreds of acres or more so buying a hunting camp plot is out of the question for us middle class folks.

My methods HAVE, however, worked to get us a couple of smaller plots to hunt ducks and pheasant on in the rare wet spots near here. I absolutely LOVE having small farm ponds and creeks to hunt on. Or at least I did when I was more able to utilize them.

These ideas possibly would be less effective in highly populated areas, or areas with great demand for highly sought after animals, but out here in rural SouthEastern WA this method has worked pretty well for us. I am putting it here and in the general big game forum in case it helps a member or two to gain access to some good places to hunt.

If you live in WA state or wish to hunt here, please be a good sportsman and do not copycat my idea for trying to gain access on the land in between (North of) Clyde and the Snake River as this is the stomping grounds I and my family and buddies have hunted for 31 years now. Bad manners to use my method to try to bump me/us out of our long hunted area. If you want to hunt in this region, I am most happy to help you find some other good spots nearby, and, being retired, I can even look up and send you some landowners names and addresses. Happy to do it and help you out, no cost of course.

We in our small band of hunters take up a collection between ourselves each late summer, and I handle the details from there. We set aside some of the moeny for buying steel T Posts, cement, gate building posts and chains and no tresspassing signs, 2x4 and 4x4 treated wood posts for building or repairing water guzzlers, salt and mineral blocks etc but MOST of the money is used to purchase generous gift cards and or gifts for the landowners who have allowed us access in the past, and smaller gifts and gift cards for propery owners who have not allowed permission in the past, YET! grin

Here is the rest of my plan, in case my ideas help someone else here gain access to a piece of land to hunt on.....

Most of the CRP and wheat land around here is owned by folks several states away or at least on the wet opposite and populated side of the state.

I contact these folks by looking them up in the county records, and in my letter (sent priority mail in a large flat envelope to look and feel more important) I offer in writing that my hunting group will 1) post - at our expense- and patrol the land, keeping large vehicles from driving cross country right across everything 2) build and or keep in good repair the water guzzlers (needed out in this arid region) that all of the wildlife uses or any other habitat improvement the landowner would like to see done and 3) treat the land with great care. This year, we included a couple of small gifts with the permission request letters for the first time, so I am hoping for a little bit better response. The only letter I was able to deliver in person to a landowner who lives in town here was well recieved, and permission was granted. My buddies and I are having a work day on Tuesday to post up this new to us property and look it over a little.

I hope my idea is found useful to someone here. It has kept our little band of brothers in great deer hunting territory for the past several decades. Good luck and good hunting! MARK

PS: Please post up your thoughts here, and more importantly, YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

Last edited by safariman; 09/20/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You just can't make chit like this up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
PS: Please post ... YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

I bought mine.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
You just can't make chit like this up..

Hey, it works here and has been for a good long while. Plus, I am posting it in hopes that it helps others. Why is this a cause for ridicule?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
PS: Please post ... YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

I bought mine.

AWESOME! I am glad you had the bucks to do that. Truly. That said, most folks do not, thus my posting here.

Anyone have any HELPFUL, POSITIVE and USEFULL to most folks idea's to share?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if they don't use your help near "your" stomping grounds..

I would have to say your lack of self awareness has to be more serious than any of your various claimed illnesses and diseases.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, where you hunt and in your circle, it is considered OK to go around a friend who has shown you a good spot to hunt and try to gain access for yourself?

Here, and in this group, that is considered rude at a minimum, and a pretty major faux pau. A social line you just do not cross. Likely to get a man un invited to future hunts etc. Is this different in MT or among your group?

The area I spoke of as our hunt area is very small, and I offered help to anyone wanting to hunt out this way real help in getting the landowners info. and more. On top of that, I HAVE invited a few 24hrcf members to hunt with me both in past years and this year. Asking me if one can join our merry band of deer slayers and or duck and pheasant is likely to garner an invite even though I am not up to much bird hunting lately.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All sales final on an azz fuucking is considered pretty rude, too..

But ymmv.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with that, make improvements to someone elses land that are taxable so you can hunt for free.

Having said that as already posted. I inherited some of mine, bought some more, and did a 3:1 land swap for some more, but it adjoins many thousands of public land as well for anyone that wants to hunt there.

Last edited by NathanL; 09/20/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

Kinda reminds me of something that Larry Root has posted a time or two.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand not liking another poster, but stalking his every post and chitting all over them seems kind of creepy.
What makes you guys the watchmen for the world?
If a guy is a bad guy, most folks will figure it out quickly enough. Let them.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Kinda reminds me of something that Larry Root has posted a time or two.

^^^^^^^^^ Has nothing to do what I think of Mark. It is exactly the way Larry Root handles himself here and I think it's a bit strange.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought land 243 mi from home. It was a 7 ac. parcel with river frontage. Across the river (north) is about 2,000 ac. of land. To may south there is another 20,000 ac. of county forest land. To my west is the Flambeau River State Forest. I can go 18 miles west before I get to any real chunks of private land. A guy has to go on a DIY hunt, own land or hunt public land where he can. Near my house, I have 30,000 ac. of Kettle Moraine State Forest. It's hunted very hard but it is public and free of charge. I write this cause I am all done asking people for permission to hunt their land. I will never ask again. They owe me nothing I I will not ask for something for nothing. I even have a good friend a mi. away, he has 120 ac. I have never asked him to hunt his land except mushrooms cause he doesn't like them. Just the way I am.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get on as a reserve officer then claim you saw evidence of criminal activity on the property and while accessing the property to check it out, claim whatever it was you were wanting to hunt tried to attack you.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since when is working and paying for access anything new?

I sure wish I lived "out West" where everything is different than in Texas.....oh wait, nevermind.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hunted the best turkey property in the county in Florida for a number of years. When some locals found out I was hunting that property they always had the same response 'How did you get in on that property? He never lets anyone hunt his property'

I didn't do a thing but talk to man, never asked. He had some other pasture land that bordered where I worked and I would see him out there at different times with his cattle. I'd swing by and talk with him for a little while and go on my way.

One day while talking he asked me 'Do you like to turkey hunt?' (he knew I was a deer hunter), too which I said YES. He then told me he didn't hunt but he had a bunch of turkey on his property and if I wanted to hunt them I was welcome to. He said stop by one day and I'll show you around.

That's how I got to hunt the best turkey property in the county, by not knowing he had turkeys on his property and not asking for anything from him but some of his company for a few minutes a week to chat the breeze.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, well, but that only works for personable folks.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I hunted the best turkey property in the county in Florida for a number of years. When some locals found out I was hunting that property they always had the same response 'How did you get in on that property? He never lets anyone hunt his property'

I didn't do a thing but talk to man, never asked. He had some other pasture land that bordered where I worked and I would see him out there at different times with his cattle. I'd swing by and talk with him for a little while and go on my way.

One day while talking he asked me 'Do you like to turkey hunt?' (he knew I was a deer hunter), too which I said YES. He then told me he didn't hunt but he had a bunch of turkey on his property and if I wanted to hunt them I was welcome to. He said stop by one day and I'll show you around.

That's how I got to hunt the best turkey property in the county, by not knowing he had turkeys on his property and not asking for anything from him but some of his company for a few minutes a week to chat the breeze.

^
all the private land i hunt, is owned by people who are my friends and trust me.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grote's, Thompkins or Barker?

The group sends you the dough?
Wow.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Grote's, Thompkins or Barker?

The group sends you the dough?
Wow.

Yeah, imagine that!.... And quite a few fellows here still send me items for sale with just my promise to pay and I do the same with them with zero glitches either way. You should try living in the PRESENT, it is a neat place to hang out.

I have hunted on a ranch owned by the Barker family, if that is what you were reffering to above, but not in a few years. Where I hunt now is farther East, but that was a good ranch as well. I take it that you have hunted out this way some?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.