Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Phili Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Just acuired one of these from my grandfather for rabbit/groundhog etc.. hunting. Almost mint shape with a magazine, no marks on the stock. Are they good little rifles?
seems to shoot very well and rifling is very good shape.

I can't seem to find a picture of the deluxe version with the checkering on the internet?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they're nice little rifles. Really Canadian. Trigger can be horrible compared to modern bolt rifles today, but I kilt a TON of gophers with mine when I was kid.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Phili;
Welcome to the Campfire from the south Okanagan.

I've played with several Cooey 64B's over the years and they are as grouseman noted, very Canadian which is cool. cool

There was a transition, perhaps between a 64 and a 64B where they changed the magazine. The older ones would not always feed that well.

They like to be clean and if possible you should either strip it yourself and give it a thorough scrubbing or get it done and watch.

It really isn't hard to accomplish once you see it done and they do indeed seem to run better with a clean and lightly lubed bolt.

The triggers are certainly what they are on any I've played with frown

That doesn't mean they aren't fun to shoot and accurate enough to, as grouseman said - account for bushels of gophers. wink

Hopefully that was of some use to you. Good luck with your 64B.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
B
I've had a 64b for over 25 years and love the gun. It too has shot a ton of gophers. I really like the shape of the stock and it actually has pretty good wood. I've refinished it a couple of times over the years and it looks great. I've worn out about a dozzen mags in it over the years, so they are definitely not the strongest part of the gun. If you do need parts, Western Gun Parts in Edmonton keeps a good supply.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. bpolege;
Thanks for mentioning the folks at Western Gun Parts. I use them a few times a year lately and they have always been excellent to deal with.

If memory serves I worked on an older 64 for a fellow one time and I obtained a conversion kit from them to upgrade the older model 64 to the newer, currently available magazine.

Thanks again.
Dwayne

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As with most Cooeys,my son's is accurate. They need to be cleaned to keep from misfiring. Clean burning ammo saves work. Not finding as instructions, I layed it out on a table when I took it a part.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It's a good rifle with a tough trigger (in most of them), tad bit unfortunate where winchester is going today though. frown

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
C
C
The 64B has been made for eons. First it was Cooey, then Winchester-Cooey, then Lakefield, and now Savage.

Minor changes but the same rifle pretty much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The magazines from the new Savage version might fit the Cooey as well. Used to have a Cooey 64B. It was a good gun, but I also had a modded 10-22 so didn't feel the need for both. They are pretty accurate for a semi auto at that price point. Took lots of grouse and gophers with it.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
cantom;
Welcome to the 'Fire from the south Okanagan sir.

I'd completely forgotten about this thread until you resurrected it, but as far as I know today the information I posted is still correct.

Again welcome to the 'Fire.

Dwayne

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.