Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Primaloft vs Thinsulate or wool for insulated hunting clothes, pants, gloves, vests etc.

Pros and Cons

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have several pieces of primaloft and like them. Very warm for the weight. I like wool as well but have pretty much moved to the synthetics for light weight and layering flexibility. I still use wool base layers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Primaloft is great for light weight warmth, and love the lighter garments for layering. I put it under rain gear on chilly,wet days; under wool when the wind blows(wind blocker),and as an additional layer under real cold conditions.

Packs small in a tiny stuff sack,so goes everywhere during early/late fishing seasons and always packed for hunts here and out west. One light zip jacket stays in the truck all winter.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/21/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I can't speak on Thinsulate, but the Primaloft is a go to for me. I use merino wool for my base layer. I am also experimenting with the new h2o proof goose down. The Primaloft does dry MUCH quicker than down or wool and keeps you warm when wet.

7mm-375Ruger
Stiller TAC 300
Broughton 5C 9tw @ 28"
Jewell Trigger
Greybull Precision stock
180VLD @ 3145fps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have embraced Thinsulate for several years. Primaloft is better and both replaced most of my wool garments except for my base layer.

My first experience with Primaloft layering was a Lands End jacket, then a North Face jacket. I liked the waist draw string on the Lands End jacket but not the elastic wrist cuff. The North Face does not have a waist draw string and it has an elastic wrist cuff.

I abandoned those jackets when Cabela's came out out with the PASSAGE jacket. Features I like are camo, two outside zippered slit chest pockets, two outside zippered deep slit waist pockets and a inside zippered slit pocket and adjustable wrist cuffs.

Primaloft offers a lot of flexibility in layering, especially when a good windproof and waterproof parka is the top layer.

A bud uses two of the PASSAGE jackets, plus a parka for layering for the elements while duck and goose hunting and coyote hunting.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
double post, deleted

Last edited by JMR40; 09/23/14.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like primaloft much better than the old thinsulate. It is basically a synthetic goose down without the downsides to down

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
I have embraced Thinsulate for several years. Primaloft is better and both replaced most of my wool garments except for my base layer.

My first experience with Primaloft layering was a Lands End jacket, then a North Face jacket. I liked the waist draw string on the Lands End jacket but not the elastic wrist cuff. The North Face does not have a waist draw string and it has an elastic wrist cuff.

I abandoned those jackets when Cabela's came out out with the PASSAGE jacket. Features I like are camo, two outside zippered slit chest pockets, two outside zippered deep slit waist pockets and a inside zippered slit pocket and adjustable wrist cuffs.

Primaloft offers a lot of flexibility in layering, especially when a good windproof and waterproof parka is the top layer.

A bud uses two of the PASSAGE jackets, plus a parka for layering for the elements while duck and goose hunting and coyote hunting.

Still on sale too.

Cabelas PrimaLoft Jacket

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.