Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You mentioned bicycles, when they were doing the assessment, they kept asking about some roadrash on my right shoulder which is from brushing up against a boulder last week on a trail

Ya, bicycles are differently dangerous than motorcycles. Even so most times I don't wear a helmet on the road. I'm often commuting home after dark and some places I ride through, a helmet just spells V-I-C-T-I-M as in "clearly you ain't from around here.".

Wouldn't dream of mountain biking without a helmet tho.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Youch! Glad you're keeping your chin up. Dropped mine in 2012. As Rattler said, now carrying around a fair chunk of stainless in my left leg. Hope you heal up quickly. Interested to hear how they treat your leg breaks. What kind of fractures are you dealing with?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First off I hope you mend quickly with no lasting issues.

I used to ride. Absolutely loved the kind of performance you can get from a street bike. After 70,000 miles, including two cross country trips, decided to quit. Knew that it was just a matter of time before a serious get off would change my life.

I was a vocational teacher. As part of my safety lessons I talked about motorcycles. I shared a very graffic story of my 60 mph slide off the interstate and across a rough gravel breakdown lane with lots of road rash. Was lucky could have tumbled to a stop.

I read Cycle magazine's editorial on crashing to all my classes. The best line in the article was: "Everyone I know who has spent any time on a motorcycle has crashed."

It is a personal choice. When I was married I quit. IMO too risky an activity when you have loved ones.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I sold my bike last summer and my wife just sold hers. 60 years of riding between the two of us and three totalled bikes. We've always been gear Nazi's and never rode (at least after I got out of my teens) without a full set of leathers or textiles. It still hurts, but at least we got to walk away.

Sorry to hear about your hunting season, but at least there is next year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Better your legs than your back. Hope you heal up soon. I have been riding since the 3rd grade. When I was in high school a car come over a blind hill in a curve and t boned me and my girl friend. We were going about 30 mph and the car was probably going slower. It knocked us both off the bike and we only had bruises and scratches. I have 2 sons now and I told a guy about 3 days ago that wanted to buy my streetbike that I would sale it to him, but ain't no way im selling my dirtbike. Besides with the money from my bike I'm gonna buy a Mokai kayak for river fishing. there is just to much traffic where I live to ride and not eventually eat it cause some idiot texting.

Glad to here your ok, I pray you recover fast and fully.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I layed mine over going maybe 5-10mph. Somebody pulled out in front of me and I avoided him but hit a big rock that put me over.

both bones in the forearm, collar bone and a blow to the helmet (which very likely would have been fatal without the helmet).

It didn't take much to exprapolate what the forces of a 60mph crash could do to someone. I rode for about another year, but never felt that comfortable and gave it up.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[bleep] I'm glad your ok buddy I guess we won't see at work for awhile. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could have been much worse I guess.

Last weekend a guy riding near here had a limb fall on him and killed him and injured his brother who was riding behind him. For all the talk about motorcycles beeing dangerous and to die to falling limb/tree while riding.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a friend who has had a string of bad luck including a motorcycle accident, totaled truck and cancer. Trying to talk him into getting one of these:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from ]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been down at 55 mph. 70 years old--still have my Harley.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy to hear you made it... when you get old you'll be able to predict the weather...and be able to tell a cool story.

Better to have ridden and wrecked , than never to have ridden at all.

.... like tears in the rain
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like I may be in the hospital for a while longer. If anyone is in the Colorado Springs area and wants to stop by, pm me for my room number, I'll gladly take more company!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
They always say that about motorcycle wrecks, that it's not if you wreck, but when you wreck.

Yeah. An insurance agent who wrote only motorcycle policies told me the same thing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good God! Bilateral tib-fib fracture.
You ought to buy 100 lottery tickets, you are the luckiest man in the state; in that; you are still breathing air.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like I'll be headed home, so keep your fingers crossed! Finally some real internet where anything "weapon" related website isn't blocked. At least the campfire is open!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you heal up fast and sound. BTDT but without any real broken bones- lots of things that feel worse when the weather is changing, though from laying down a couple bikes in similar circumstances.

Had to give up riding motos when I realized I just don't have enough self control for it. Every fast bike I got on, I just HAD to find out how fast it was and how it would handle. Last time I rode, I was flying down a country two lane and a car pulled out in front of me. I had plenty of room to pass, so flew by him and even gave it a little more for good measure as he was accelerating his 370Z hard to get out of my way. When I looked down at my speedo, I was going a tick over 125 and still in 4th gear with 2 more to go. Luck was with me that day but probably the last time so I gave it up. I don't think my kids realized how foolish I was when I was younger.

Still love fast cars and just finishing building my hotrod AC Cobra, but don't like to tempt fate anymore at 61.

Get some subscriptions to magazines- you'll be reading lots of them to kill the time.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Have a friend who has had a string of bad luck including a motorcycle accident, totaled truck and cancer. Trying to talk him into getting one of these:

[Linked Image]

Get him a nice purse to go with it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Bike Week Daytona Beach a good few years ago, I found TWO vendors of orthopedic braces, canes and wheelchairs at the convention center amidst all the other motorcycle gear and accessories.

I went up to one of the booths and asked the guy, "How's business?" He said, "It's great!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
You mentioned bicycles, when they were doing the assessment, they kept asking about some roadrash on my right shoulder which is from brushing up against a boulder last week on a trail

Ya, bicycles are differently dangerous than motorcycles. Even so most times I don't wear a helmet on the road. I'm often commuting home after dark and some places I ride through, a helmet just spells V-I-C-T-I-M as in "clearly you ain't from around here.".

Wouldn't dream of mountain biking without a helmet tho.

Birdwatcher

I got knocked off my (mountain)bike by a Mastiff last week. I was riding before daylight to the track, when it came at me in the dark. I shouted "no" and it swerved at the last second, hitting my rear wheel. Of course, I crashed. At least it didn't bite me too. You just never know what's gonna come at you. Glad the OP is still with us.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've been hit from behind at traffic lights on a couple of occasions.

Had I been on a bike, I would have been toast. Both times.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.