Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Waders
Anyway, it's a fun discussion. Somebody with the time, ought to track down sales data and see how many .357's are being sold out there.

From Lucky Gunner out of the Top 10 selling cartridges the .357 Mag placed...wait...

[Linked Image]

Factory stuff for the ignorant general public shooters.

Hand loaders are in the know!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by JOG
Anyway, it's a fun discussion. Somebody with the time, ought to track down sales data and see how many .357's are being sold out there.

From Lucky Gunner out of the Top 10 selling cartridges the .357 Mag placed...wait...

[Linked Image]

Yes...and very likely cheap-ass steel case ammo, at least where 9mm and .223 are concerned.

How many posts have we seen in which a firearm/caliber is chosen based solely the cost of the ammunition?

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by JOG

[Linked Image]

Yes...and very likely cheap-ass steel case ammo, at least where 9mm and .223 are concerned.

How many posts have we seen in which a firearm/caliber ks chosen based solemn the cost of the ammunition?

My experiences with the "cheap-ass steel case ammo" are very good; never had even a hint of a problem. Remember, the US used to make "cheap ass steel case ammo" as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .357 mag is the second most popular revolver cartridge in sales behind the first place revolver cartridge, being the 38 Special. Both, individually outsell every other revolver cartridge manufactured and sold. And as far as manufacture of revolvers, the 357 mag revolvers way outpace all other chamberings of revolvers made, to include 38s. So, add 38 Special ammo sales with 357 mag sales, and they add up to a pretty big chunk of both ammo and weapon sales.

So, not sure your point. If you think somehow the .357 is dead in the water, then what do you think of .45s, .44s, and .41s? None of those come close to being as popular in sales and profits compared to the 357. None of those come close to the total number of 357s built and sold each year. I just do not see any of those revolver chamberings going by the wayside, and I certainly do not see the most popular revolver made, probably going back decades into the last century, as being anywhere close to dying out. The gun and ammo makers just plain see too big a chunk of their profit out of the 357 to let it go.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What's popular don't mean what's right.

Stumble into my abode uninvited & you'll be greeted with 45's like a shower head, from all angles.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Why is it that when we talk about hi-capacity rounds the age and ability of the shooter always get brought up? They have nothing to do with the subject....

If a shooter sucks with 15 rounds, he'll suck with 8. Knowing that he only has 8 rounds in the mag won't magically make him a better shooter. And it won't make him practice more.

And I've seen the exact opposite as what y'all have in regards to age....Lots of older shooters can't see what they're aiming at or shoot as well as they used to so they switch to pistols with dots and hi cap mags to compensate for their lack of ability.

Age and ability are just nonsense arguments from folks who don't have anything better to contribute.

The age is brought up because so many young shooters seem enthralled by and depend upon handguns with large capacity magazines. Additionally, they seem far more concerned with the capability of sending lots of lead downrange than learning to hit. i.e.- "The greater my ability to fire more shots, the less important it is for me to place shots well."

There are exceptions. My 24 year old son-in-law shoots a hi-cap 9mm but not well at all, but my 27 year old son chose a 1911 and shoots it fairy well.

Is he related to Derby Dude?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I had my eyes dilated at my eye appointment an hour or so ago and can't see crap but I can see that and it is funny. laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well guys I went to Ruger site and the S&W site and both have 15 or 16 models of .357 revolvers and I didn't even bother with .38 Special revolvers.

Pretty good for an obsolete caliber.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LEO's carry and shoot what they are issued.
Off duty and back up's are a different story, but are often of a dictated caliber.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I carried one as a deputy sheriff during a hostage situation. I gave my 45 ACP to the chief deputy who responded to the scene unarmed. I had my 3" S&W 66 somewhere you don't show in public but carried it with me to the back door. As luck would have it, the armed hostage taker emerged from that door. Half a dozen guys armed to the teeth at the front door and me alone at the back. I was standing in the shadows and he didn't see me. Luckily, a relative talked the guy into surrendering. I didn't feel under-armed any time I had a .357 Magnum with me. They make a great night light for just a second when fired and hearing protection is a great idea too!

Last edited by Carson; 09/12/14.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

How many posts have we seen in which a firearm/caliber is chosen based solely the cost of the ammunition?

It is much more important to learn to shoot, than the particulars of a handgun cartridge. IF you don't reload, then it is darned smart to choose 9mm, (cheapest centerifre to shoot), over say the 10mm.

Learning to shoot and hitting your target wins over cartridge and platform worship any day.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Doubt either the .357 or .45 ACP is obsolete. I have individual Dillon SDBs dedicated to each cartridge, not that this means much to anyone but me. One thing I do know is how much fun I had shooting .45 ACPs today.

[Linked Image]

Excuse the photo quality - flip phone modified slightly w/Photobucket.

Paul

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was shooting a LOT of .38specialin the 70's, had something to do with getting it from the S.O. at 1.50 a box. My firearms instructor had some good advice that i never forgot. He said one well aimed shot is worth ten poorly aimed shots. Now his wife used to humiliate new deputies by using a j frame to make head shots at 50yards, she good do it.
I never felt underarmed with a .357 in a one on one situation.
But conditions change. As doc rockett said, enough in there for one confrontation without reloading, but what if you have multiple armed targets.
Now we practiced even then for that situation, but semiauto and hicap mags just do give you an edge.
we use to train double hand, strong hand, weak hand, barricade left side, right side, prone, kneeling at all kinds of ranges out to about 50 yards. I was really laughing hard one day when i took the highway patrol course which is basically draw from the hip and point fire at 5 to 7 yards. Now for those tail light chasers it worked for what they generally would face. We had different situations.
I do have a friend who i have timed. from a holstered revolver, draw and fire and hit six steel plates at ten yards in 1.45seconds. He's getting to be an old guy too by the way for you young hot shot wippersnappers.
i haven't practiced it in years, and surely couldn't do it today, but long time ago i pretty much could do 12rounds on target with a model 19 in about 8 seconds. And I wasn't that good.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/12/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Draw from a holster, fire and hit six steel targets at ten yards in under 1.5 seconds? That's pretty sporty...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
at the time he was firing probably 30 to 40k a year in competition related events. He did manage to beat rob laetham a couple of times, but as he told me that was pretty rare.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Obsolete??

Gun stores in my area have entire display cases dedicated to the 1911, not to mention the other handgun models chambered in .45 ACP - Glocks, XD's, etc.

Smith & Wesson is still selling revolvers chambered in .357 Mag for $700+.

Electric typewriters are obsolete. .45 ACP & .357 Mag are not.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
What does "merit" have to do with it? The definition of "obsolete" is 'replaced with something newer'.

If you don't think the .357 Mag has been almost completely replaced for serious self-defense and hunting use you're in dreamland. That has nothing to do with effectiveness - simply that the buyers voted and the .357 Mag lost.

True .357 is a great round, but who really uses it? That's right. Almost no one.

.45. Almost same thing. Too big for military use, too big for most CCW--yeah there's a few die hards, but most of us carry something smaller. 380 is the most popular handgun among the masses. We're not typical on this forum.

.45 is still alive mostly for certain competitions and nostalgia.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"380 is the most popular handgun cartridge among the masses".

Are you high?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
C'mon over and teach me how to shoot my J frame Smith. When I dig it out the only safe place to be is leaning on the target.

Bring beer.

I'll have you hittin' paper plates @ the fiddy after six beers.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Originally Posted by JOG
What does "merit" have to do with it? The definition of "obsolete" is 'replaced with something newer'.

If you don't think the .357 Mag has been almost completely replaced for serious self-defense and hunting use you're in dreamland. That has nothing to do with effectiveness - simply that the buyers voted and the .357 Mag lost.

True .357 is a great round, but who really uses it? That's right. Almost no one.

.45. Almost same thing. Too big for military use, too big for most CCW--yeah there's a few die hards, but most of us carry something smaller. 380 is the most popular handgun among the masses. We're not typical on this forum.

.45 is still alive mostly for certain competitions and nostalgia.

mrm- you do not know what the f...k your talking about. Get out and mingle with real shooters.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys I think mrmarklin is talking with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.