Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Today was the opener for my wife's pronghorn season, she drew a tag for the Crook's Mountain area, west and south of Jeffrey City Wyoming. Area is high desert, some rolling hills with little vegetation other than meager grass and some scruffy sagebrush. Got out there about 0730 and spent an hour or so driving around looking for a likely place to put the sneak on one. We are in our 70's so don't need to be hiking too far.

We finally set up about 400 yards or so above a small reservoir, glassing the few animals that were in the area. After a bit, two single bucks left the draw and climbed to the top of the ridge to our right, about 300 yards from us. She didn't want to take a skyline shot, so we waited until the bucks were out of sight over the ridge, then walked up to the top, peeking over a small hill. Both bucks were there just grazing, about 100 yards apart. She made her way to a small group of sagebrush about 50 yards from me, got down into prone, rested the rifle on a bush and dropped the larger of the two bucks: one shot, one pronghorn. Shot him in the base of the neck, he never stirred out of his tracks. I later ranged the distance, 242 yards. We had him dressed, skinned out and cooling on the tailgate by 10:00 AM.

I was proud of my wife, she has hunted for years and this was one of her longest shots. She shoots a model 722 Remington , a Weaver K6 scope from the same era, 257 Roberts cartridge, with 100 grain Hornadys and 44 grains of H4350. What a great old cartridge, she has seldom had to shoot twice.

Coming through the checking station, the G&F biologist measured the buck at 14 1/4' and said he was about 4 years old.

Was plumb disgusted when I loaded the pix I took, me "autofocus" camera didn't, came out blurry but you get the idea. A perfect day for this geezer and his geezerette.

[Linked Image]

Happiness is a cool carcass and a cold Bud.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Way cool! Congratulations on a fine hunt.

My wife's first big game animal was a very similar buck, taken with the 722 .257 Roberts that belonged to my grandmother. Eileen used a very similar load with IMR4350 and the 100-grain Nosler Partition, and the range was a little under 200.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story with great gear! I loved it...right up till the pic of the Bud Lite!

How can such a classy lady with classy gear stoop so low! laugh

Send along kudos to her on a job well done...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

..alittle fuzzy cant ruin that memory.

Nice work.

Thanks for posting.

Congrats to her. Gotta love a girl who gets after it.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good job

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations to you and your lady! When it came time for me to pick a cartridge for my son's first deer rifle, I chose the .257 Roberts. I ordered a Ruger 77mkII Ultralight and loaded 100 grain Hornady SP's.

If the good Lord lets me live to 100, I'll never forget the look on my son's face and the excitement we shared when he bumped off his first deer at the ripe old age of 8.

Since then, I have also been blessed to be with him when he collected several other whitetails with that rifle, and I have never regretted my choice of the 257 Roberts.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great account of a day well spent... in your 70's LOL.
I hope I am still out and about shooting critters when I get there.

I gotta quit reading these posts.... now I gotta go out and get a 257. For the wife of course! LOL

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looks like a fun day afield. Congratulations on having a great time with your wife.
Hopefully that is some good eating.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
jn,
You and you wife are a great inspiration to the great many apprentice Geezer's here on the fire.
Thanks your sharing.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on a great hunt. That's the same load I used years ago in a 257 Roberts to take a number of deer.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations to the successful huntress! Looks like the kind of Wyoming weather that I like to hunt in. Thanks for posting.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations! A fine hunt and a grand old rifle.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations! The grin on her face says it all.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is an example of some of the great story that circulated through this forum in the beginning.

Thank you for sharing your hunt and congratulations to both of you.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations to your wife on her trophy! Here is a link to a free, web-based program I use to "fix" digital pictures. You can't make it perfect, but you can make it better. Odessa

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for a great post, my wife gets self conscious sometimes about carrying her rifle because she feels strangers will think she's too old. She doesn't let it stop her but I think reading this post will be encouraging. Good shooting ma'am.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great story. Classy cartridge, rifle, and lady.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well Done!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
195 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.