Rick,

Yeah, Alliant has been making those claims since RL-17 came out. I�ll get back to them shortly.

One interesting aspect of RL-17 is that Alliant released it BEFORE much pressure-tested loading data was widely available, so handloaders were working up loads without any data. As I�ve pointed out before, brass doesn�t show the standard �pressure signs� until pressures are around 70,000 psi, or even more.

When Alliant finally put a lot of pressure-tested data on their website, however, the super velocities disappeared�but RL-17 had already gotten the reputation for extra velocity, and it stuck with some shooters, especially those who believe published data is for wimps.

I did an article for Handloader in 2010 entitled �Designer Powders,� about various magic powders that have appeared over the years. In it I pointed out that Alliant�s TESTED data for RL-17 showed as much as 100 fps over other powders in only one or two instances�and that happens even with other powders, because some powders are particularly suited to a bullet/case combo. Overall, however, RL-17 didn�t produce extra velocity, and in fact in many instances other Alliant powders produced more velocity, including �old technology� powder like RL-19 and RL-22. And my search also showed powders from other companies often matched or beat 17 velocities.

Now let�s fast-forward to RL-33. I just did the same sort of data-search with it. Alliant�s website only lists RL-33 data for a handful of rounds, but that�s enough for our purposes.

7mm Rem. Magnum, highest velocity with 175-grain bullet: Alliant RL-33�2909 fps; other powders Ramshot Magnum 2950 fps, RL22 2970 fps.

7mm STW, highest velocity with 160/162-grain bullets: Alliant RL-33�3165 fps,; other powders Ramshot Magnum 3171 fps. Highest velocity with 175-grain bullet: RL-33�3033 fps; other powders�Ramshot Magnum 3052 fps, Retumbo 3026 fps.

.300 Wby, Magnum, highest velocity with 200-grain bullet: RL-33�2889 fps; other powders�Ramshot Magnum 3000 fps, H1000 3039 fps. Highest velocity with 220-grain bullet: RL-33�2865 fps; other powders�Ramshot Magnum 2840 fps, H4831SC 2840 fps.

.338 Lapua Magnum, highest velocity with 225-grain bullets: RL-33 3118 fps; other powders Accurate Magpro 3188 fps, Vihtavuori N170 3104 fps. Highest velocity with 250-grain bullets: RL-33 3001 fps; other powders Ramshot Magnum 3026 fps, Vihatvuori N570 3005 fps. Highest velocity with 300-grain bullets: RL-33 2748 fps; other powders Accurate Magpro 2737 fps, Hodgdon Retumbo 2732 fps.

This is with maybe 30 minutes of searching. I�m sure other examples could be found, but the super-velocities suggested by Alliant aren�t there. RL-33 didn�t produce higher velocities than other powders even in the .338 Lapua Magnum, the cartridge it was designed for.

I�ve known Dick Quesenberry for a number of years. He�s a good guy, knows his stuff, and but he�s also Alliant�s head of marketing. Both he and the powder guy talk about �penetrant coatings� as if they were something new and revolutionary, but penetrant coatings have been used in many powders for years, and for the same reason they�re used in RL-17 and RL-33: They slow the burn rate, extending the pressure curve down the barrel.

Smokeless powders have been around for over150 years. The first weren�t suitable for rifles because they burned too fast, but worked in shotguns. Within 20 years workable rifle powders appeared, and over the next half-century changes were relatively rapid. By World War II we had powders still used a lot today, in particular IMR4350, which actually did result in gains of 100+ fps in many rounds.

The advances since have been smaller, typical for any technology that�s been around for a while, but they�re still happening. Reloder 17 and 33 are very good modern powders, but they�re not a major jump in technology.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck