Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got rained out of work on Tuesday so I came home and decided to go elk hunting. It started raining at the house pretty hard early morning so I had to stick around long enough to pump the water out of my yard. I got out of town about 1pm on Wednesday. I ran into some horrendous rain on the way to my area; streets were flooded, washing running across the road- you name it. These hurricanes pack a punch!

I got about 20 miles from the area I could hunt and the rain was behind me with mostly blue skies. I knew I would at least get an evening hunt before anything moved in.

Picked my buddy up at his house about 4:15 and headed out. Drove to a couple of spots where we could glass for a few minutes but nothing was out in the sun. Parked at a spot we know and headed into the brush about 5:30. Since I knew it was in tight cover I opted for iron sights. I flipped a coin and took my 458 Lott. My first bullet was a 430 grain LBT cast bullet and the magazine was full of 480 grain Hornady DGX round noses.

I told my buddy I wanted a raghorn to do a Euro style mount. He wanted a bigger 6x6. I told him that if a small bull came in I would shoot and a big one, he would shoot.

Reached a little vantage point at 6. I chirped a couple of times on a cow call and within 5 minutes a bull appeared on the river bank. He was roughly 200 yards. I pointed him out and he said "there is your little bull". I shot him with the 458 and hammered him to the ground. He eventually crawled into the brush and I didn't get another shot as he was moving more than I wanted to risk tearing up that great meat.

Went down and crossed the river which was about 5" deep and 20' across. Found his trail into the brush and caught up with him and put a finisher in.

By the time we had him dressed it was about dark. We headed back to get a 4-wheeler to get him out. When we got back to the river something didn't look right. It finally dawned on me- the river was bank to bank and 3' deep now. It was chocolate brown and running fast. We slogged our way across and made it back to the truck. I knew there was no getting back across as the water was still coming up.

Had to wait until daylight to find a way to get in from the other side.
Another guy I know was in there on horses hunting the next day and he found my bull and guided me in. I was able to get about a mile from the bull in my truck. I hiked in and quartered it. Lost the neck meat and one hind quarter due to heat and some lousy shooting on my part crazy

I hunt the meat over one of his saddle horses and carried the head out. We made it to a fence with no gate so I had to pack the stuff the last 200 yards- all said an easy pack for elk.

I was pretty disappointed in the bullet performance. The cast bullet exited and made a good hole but left some coin-sized slivers behind. The DGX however came completely apart, changed directions and got jacket and lead everywhere. I thought these were supposed to be dangerous game bullets?? More like lion loads in my opinion. I wasn't pushing them fast either- about 2100 fps.

Anyway, I was gone from home about 25 hours in all. Could have been less than 24 but I wasted a lot of time trying to find a gate to save me that last 200 yard pack!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dennisinaz; 09/19/14.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super! Congrats on some good eats.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is LITERALLY EXACTLY what you told me a month ago when you were planning this hunt... "I want a rag horn to hang in the low ceiling bedroom and the good meat"

Congrats man. You are a stud to get one on that tag!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I figured with the storms they would be itching to get out in the evening since it quit raining. Worked out perfect. I got the little rack I wanted and my freezer is full!

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I figured with the storms they would be itching to get out in the evening since it quit raining. Worked out perfect. I got the little rack I wanted and my freezer is full!

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Awesome Dennis, those otc hunts are tough!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Which unit? Nice bull man.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great hunt.
A 350gn TSX or 400gn Woodleigh would be great for this use.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats! Great story...nice bull. Never believed a DGX would behave like that.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way to go Dennis. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good job Dennis...

My wife wants me to take her on one of the OTC elk hunts thus fall. Wish I knew some of the areas better. We are almost out of elk meat!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice post and pictures!! The part that gets to me the most is "got rained out of work Tuesday and decided to go elk hunting" !! Way to live! Where I live if I get rained out of work the best I can do is go to Wally World laugh laugh

Golden............
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by davidlea
Nice post and pictures!! The part that gets to me the most is "got rained out of work Tuesday and decided to go elk hunting" !! Way to live! Where I live if I get rained out of work the best I can do is go to Wally World laugh laugh

I went again yesterday-just got home. All I got this time was tired. i did talk to a couple of lonely bulls from my sleeping bag last night wink

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good job Dennis. Headed to 7E for a late season cow hunt in Dec myself. Will be using the 30-06 with a 150 Barnes TTSX.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the elk. Very cool hunt!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!

Limited opportunity hunt? I can't imagine you'd be gunning specifically for a raghorn on a standard early rifle AZ bull hunt...

He'll make a nice Euro mount, my sister has a similar one. Looks good.

Last edited by huntinaz; 09/21/14.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed big bulls and am out of wall space so I wanted something that would fit somewhere other than a high wall in the vaulted ceiling rooms. I can never find a small bull that isn't broken. No, the general rifle hunts don't start until this coming Friday.
IF a 380 had stepped out I wouldn't have turned him down but I would have turned down a 330. In fact, I wish this bull was just a tad smaller in the frame but he is pretty nice for a rag.

NRA Benefactor Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dennis, if that's the truth then you get a hold of me next year and I'll gladly come shoot one of those bulls on this otc hunt! In fact, I'll shoot ANY elk, with my really pretty neck turned 7LRM brass smile

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Nicer work Dennis; looks like a few meals there!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In fact, I wish this bull was just a tad smaller in the frame but he is pretty nice for a rag.

Yeah he is, probably not even considered a rag in other states.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.