-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those having issues with their Gore-Tex garments no longer shedding water, hit it with some Revivex and throw it in the dryer and it will be like new again. It worked great on my Klim sledding gear, it was like having new gear again after using it last season.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr
Originally Posted by pgsalton
I've used eVent bivy bags and had great success. Currently I use Marmot Precip for rain gear - I've tried everything and it always fails - so I always seem to go back to the marmot precip. It's cheap and light and keeps you sort of dry.

But recently I saw some new stuff made by Zpacks
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
Has anyone tried this stuff? It looks super light and uses both eVent and Cuben fiber. Must be good right?

Patrick

I have been looking at this stuff as well. Hoping someone gives it a try.

C'mon Chip, take one for the team!

Tanner

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tanner,
I would but I don't have a hunt coming where I will probably even need rain gear! It's so dry here the tree's are chasing the dogs... smile

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Tanner, hows the fit on the Westcomb. Was there plenty of room to layer?Did you order a size up or go with your normal size.

I picked up a Rab eVent jacket a couple of years ago and I like the eVent works well but the jacket was cut very slim so I can't layer well under it. It makes for a good summer jacket so I still use it but would like an eVent jacket for hunting.Oh and I'm not a big guy either.

Thanks

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
trapperJ,

I normally purchase Large jackets, but like you, I anticipated layering quite a bit underneath the Westcomb (mainly when sitting stationary, glassing and such) so I went with the XL instead. I'm 6' and 170lbs, and the XL fits perfectly even with a First Lite puffy and other layers underneath.

Tanner

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the feedback Tanner. Might have to pick one up and put it to the test before next sheep season. I live in one of the best rain gear testing locations in AK!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you all using for rain pants?

Eric

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Eric,

I use Kuiu Chugach, but I know Luke is using Marmot Precips this year at least. Pants need to be semi disposable in my opinion, as odd as it sounds. At least out there, they simply don't last very long.

Westcomb does have some pants out there but I can rarely find them, and they lack a full length zipper which is a deal breaker for me.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tanner, been wondering when you would surface..

Toad of a Ram in that first pic, Length?

BTW, you're truly killing me here.

I can relate to the Pinnacle review, other than AK, no thanks.

More pics dude.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used precips during the epic rains we had here last September, I really liked 'em.

Tanner, do you guys use gaiters up there?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
gaiters.

Well, he's wearing them in almost every picture..... smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, what do you know. Been a couple weeks since I looked at those, didn't want to look at his ugly mug twice......

What brand, Tanner?

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Outdoor Research Expedition Crocodiles. The bottom straps lasted about 10 days and paracord got me through the rest of the season. Still the best option out there.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's the Achilles Heel of gaiters, the bottom straps. No pun intended.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
A suggestion to extend the life of gaiter straps.Cut pieces of 1/2" tubular webbing and slide over straps. 2' of tubing will get you through a 30 day expedition even w/ lots of rocky ground.

I agree w/ Tanner that rain pants must have full length zippers. I too buy whatever is on sale and consider them semi-disposable. There used to be a company called Sequel that made a truly bombproof set of bibs but I have seen nothing to compare since they went out of business. US.made.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
Eric,

I use Kuiu Chugach, but I know Luke is using Marmot Precips this year at least. Pants need to be semi disposable in my opinion, as odd as it sounds. At least out there, they simply don't last very long.

Westcomb does have some pants out there but I can rarely find them, and they lack a full length zipper which is a deal breaker for me.

Tanner

Thanks, Tanner! Your gear feedback is great stuff!

Eric

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Double layer of duct tape helps gaiter straps as well. Shale chews them up pretty good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
http://shopwestcomb.com/mens-clothing/hardshell-jackets.html

There ya go man....left most on the 2nd row.

If you are talking about "hunting" jackets in eVent as any being camo, I am not sure, wildthings gear used to make some I think but not sure on that now.

Thanks I missed the LT somehow. I've been looking for an eVent jacket for a 5-6 day Cottonwood trail hike in Kluane next year. Found the LT on a prety good sale so I'll try one out and see how it compares for my current Pack-Lite jacket.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/yt/kluane/activ/1/a.aspx

Still looking for an eVent jacket for the wife.

Wild Things looks like a lot of jacket for the $ compared to Sitka etc. I hunt timber so I'm looking more for quiet in hunting gear. Quiet, waterproof and reasonably priced are a hard combo to find. My Cabela's stuff is working suprisingly well.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/colle.../products/military-hard-shell-jacket-so1

Here's a good article about breathable fabrics.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/buying-advice

Last edited by tkinak; 10/06/14. Reason: link
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Midway has Sitka Stormfront (solid color) on sale so I pulled the trigger. Total was $600 for jacket and pants. They'll get put to a good test on the OR coast hunting blacktail.

The breathable membrane technology seems to be constantly changing. Gore-tex, PolarTec, eVent, not to mention all the in-house proprietary stuff that each apparel company uses. Its hard to keep up. The stuff in the Stormfront isn't the same as the last jacket I bought with WL Gore.

Lots of good reviews on the Stormfront in non-stop rain and brush at Rokslide and other sites. Not sure about the pants though... they seem like they'll be loud. Almost went with the Koldo instead.

We'll see how it does.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
tkinak,
Thanks for the 'outdoor gear lab' link. I suspect some of the problems written about here are the result of users not fully understanding the 'maintenance' needed for their rain gear. I know I learned a lot from the article and have bookmarked it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.