Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a pristine M30RS in 30/06. It is the model that came with the factory Redfield peep. It is a late gun with the Whelen stock, sling eyes, and the bolt guide rib. It is super smooth and shoots great, I would put it against any pre64 Winchester 70 and I have those too. I'm planning to take it to Afognak later this week if the weather stays nice.

BP-B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1917 in a 300 weatherby Douglas barrel action was redone by dean zollinger whoever ground the ears off took to much off so dean fixed it. I put a model 30s trigger in it brownell was selling them back in 2010 cock on opening conversion AND I got one of the last model 30 bottom metal that Duane Wiebe turned out before he shut that part of the operation down. I have a piece of French walnut I need to get turned one of these days.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I had an original Remington Model 30S in 30 Remington. Talk about a big action and a small cartridge grin

ive got a Remington 1917 in 338-06.....makes a damn heavy 338-06, cant imagine a 30 Rem, must recoil like a 22 laugh mine was my first custom and taught me alot about what not to do.....at some point ill turn it into a big bore.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I had an original Remington Model 30S in 30 Remington. Talk about a big action and a small cartridge grin

ive got a Remington 1917 in 338-06.....makes a damn heavy 338-06, cant imagine a 30 Rem, must recoil like a 22 laugh mine was my first custom and taught me alot about what not to do.....at some point ill turn it into a big bore.....

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that if you re chamber that beast to accept the 8mm RemMag/STW series of cases necked up, and if it has a 26 inch bbl, you will should able to reach 3100fps with the very aerodynamic and deadly 225gr Barnes TTSX. I have some 300gr Berger bullets to try which have way high BC's, looking forward to playing with those, too. My 338/8mm RemMag is on a re worked 1917.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
except as ive stated every time you bring this up im interested in a .40 or bigger hole down the barrel if im gonna pack around its weight im gonna put it to good use

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
404 jefferies tgen Sheridan

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
404 has been highest on the list just cause while the 416 Rigby and others may be more famous its the 404 i wind up reading about the most cause they were in far more hands grin but gonna be a long while before i get to do the project more than likely

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Roger Hi, thanks for the comments on my Dubiel 8x68S. I saw your rifle several times at the Ft Worth store but I did not handle it. I would bet that the stock is glass. They changed the bottom metal and mag box to the 1917 Enfield type. I am starting some work now on a new 375 on an old Model 30 action that I have. The only Model 30's that I know of to still use the cock on close feature, were the early one's with the rear sight dovetailed in the upper rear bridge. Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque, NM had several of them back in the mid to late 1990's. The Ft Worth store has a nice 1917 Enfield in 300 H&H that I looked at, that is now down to about 1200.00. Your Model 30 will make a nice gun. Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by xzqvvh
Roger Hi, thanks for the comments on my Dubiel 8x68S. I saw your rifle several times at the Ft Worth store but I did not handle it. I would bet that the stock is glass. They changed the bottom metal and mag box to the 1917 Enfield type. I am starting some work now on a new 375 on an old Model 30 action that I have. The only Model 30's that I know of to still use the cock on close feature, were the early one's with the rear sight dovetailed in the upper rear bridge. Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque, NM had several of them back in the mid to late 1990's. The Ft Worth store has a nice 1917 Enfield in 300 H&H that I looked at, that is now down to about 1200.00. Your Model 30 will make a nice gun. Randy

Hi Randy,

IIRC your Dubiel was owned by a past NRA president that had a fondness for mdl 30's...if that's correct. I can't wait to have mine in hand. It sure looks like glass. Another gent mentioned that he had handled the rifle,so I'm waiting for him to return my PM.

I have read that many thought that these Rems were finished better than the model 70's...not to start a war,but I find that interesting.Thanks Randy

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Found out the rifle stock is indeed synthetic probably a custom MPI. The person who handled it questioned the quality of it. MPI has had problems with it's quality. That doesn't deter me as I'll take a look and either use it a pattern for duplication or re-sand & and paint it with the Mcwoody pattern.I have a nice American Walnut blank I can use too.
The gun-makers metalwork and barrel job was very good the stock was the only problem the person said.

We shall see.

IC B3

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Please let us know what you think of the rifle after you get it. It looked very nice to me....

The rifle finally came in today,so I went to look at it. It is indeed a synthetic stock and the rifle is worth having. cabelas honored the 10 off sale,so I layed it away. I had to pick up a Anschutz 1813L X gun so I'll pick the 30s up a little later. I will have this stock repainted in a Mcwoody pattern. All n all it was a good deal and my first Enfield type big bore.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good deal Roger. I thought it looked like a custom synthetic when I glanced at it. That rifle will probably be a sweet shooter, both accuracy wise and recoil shouldn't be too bad either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I bought another 30S, I hope I can stop this soon,but when you catch a gun bug it can be tuff.

didn't give much,atleast it was less then my 1st,but it looks nice. I don't have a '06 so I needed one anyway.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Roger, I really like the new model 30 that you bought. I just got back my 8x68s that was at my gunsmith to use as a pattern for opening up my old model 30 for use as a 375 Wby. Yes as far as I know the 8x68s rifle was owned by a past NRA Pres. originally a 300 H&H. For people who want to open up a 1917 Enfield or 30 Rem for 375 H&H, it is pretty easy. My gunsmith pushed back the rear mag wall and the front wall giving 3.670 mag length and only milling back the rear receiver opening near the trigger spring was necessary for the extra length. I only need to have the bolt face, extractor and feed rails modified now. Good luck with your 375 and a wood stock on it like the 30-06 you bought would be great. Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by xzqvvh
Roger, I really like the new model 30 that you bought. I just got back my 8x68s that was at my gunsmith to use as a pattern for opening up my old model 30 for use as a 375 Wby. Yes as far as I know the 8x68s rifle was owned by a past NRA Pres. originally a 300 H&H. For people who want to open up a 1917 Enfield or 30 Rem for 375 H&H, it is pretty easy. My gunsmith pushed back the rear mag wall and the front wall giving 3.670 mag length and only milling back the rear receiver opening near the trigger spring was necessary for the extra length. I only need to have the bolt face, extractor and feed rails modified now. Good luck with your 375 and a wood stock on it like the 30-06 you bought would be great. Randy

Thanks, I guess i really like the 5 down magazine and they are different then my mausers and model 70's. Also they are both made in the 1930's.
That 375 Weatherby is probably weatherby's best cartridge a long with the 300.
The 375 turned out to have a synthetic stock,but I have a real nice caro blank that I have been saving,kinda torn whether to use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the two rifles you have just purchased, you could sell all others and hunt the world over VERY well armed. Congratulations!

I have not even SEEN two 30S rifles in all of my gun show travels, and you have two of them. Awesome.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
468 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.