Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mac284338
Bingo Sans...

Originally Posted by SansSouci

I agree with Mac: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a lot better than an '06 in the guts. But that's merely my opinion that mirrors Mac's.

That's one of the dumbest things I read here. If you hit an elk in the guts with a 243, what do you have??? You haven't shot much have you??? You better just stick with golf or knitting...Some guys here can shoot big guns well. Just a thunk...:

[Linked Image]

If I were going to use my 270 on elk, I'd run the 150gr. Nosler partition....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 270 or 7mm Rem Mag with 150g bullets is PLENTY of gun for elk, so long as you hit it in the boiler room. I've killed a CHIT pot of elk with both of those calibers over the years. Shot placement trumps caliber (within reason of course)� Oh, and my first elk as a wee teenager in 1982/83 (can't remember) WAS with a Ruger M77 tanger in .243 and 100g power points, a mature cow, and she didn't go very far� why? because I blew the top of her heart off.

Last edited by redfoxx; 09/22/14.

God Bless America!
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would use 140gr accubond in the 270 I seen the results of the accubond on moose so be my choice for elk as well. They also make a 130 accubond... My next choice would be 130gr barnes ttsx or tsx.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My buds daughter killed moose, caribou, black bear using a 243 using a 100gr nosler partition.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
My father guided elk hunters in the Gallatin during the infancy of the 270. He never had one good thing to say about the 270, claiming he had to finish every elk shot with it. This was before the proliferation of magnums.

I never had any use for a 270 due to his tutelage

Jeez Shrapnel, why the hell did you never tell us that you came into life after your mom spent a nite at Elmer Keith's house?Jeez " Kirk Keith" what a mouthful, your definitely LEGENDARY now. Damn never would have guessed it. Magnum Man

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 79S
My buds daughter killed moose, caribou, black bear using a 243 using a 100gr nosler partition.

Funny how women and kids can do it, but guys need big guns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Bingo Sans...

Originally Posted by SansSouci

I agree with Mac: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a lot better than an '06 in the guts. But that's merely my opinion that mirrors Mac's.

That's one of the dumbest things I read here. If you hit an elk in the guts with a 243, what do you have??? You haven't shot much have you??? You better just stick with golf or knitting...Some guys here can shoot big guns well. Just a thunk...:

[Linked Image]

If I were going to use my 270 on elk, I'd run the 150gr. Nosler partition....

bsa1917hunter,

Please reread my post. I wrote that a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts. Do you disagree?

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess that elk must've taken to using steroids. Back before magnums were all the rage, hunters were killing everything with the 7x57, .303 British, .30-30 Win, '06, .45/70 Gov't, .405 WIn, etc. Not these cartridges won't work on jackrabbits.

When I was a teenager, my dad told me that there was a time when the .300 was the .300 Savage, which was plenty gun for really big critters.

Biology will always win. Nothing lives sans its heart. Period. End of story. What destroys it is immaterial. That it is destroyed is.

A confident hunter who puts a 100 grain .243 Win bullet through an elk's heart will kill it just as dead as were it shot with a super duper mega-magnum. After all, dead is dead.

What a hunter uses ain't nowhere near as important as his ability to use his rifle.

There's another sage old saying: the hunter who owns one rifle knows how to use it.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
shoot them where they live and any thing from the 6mm up will get it done on elk, they are no harder to kill than any other animal if the bullet takes down the lungs. Poor shooting is what cripples big game animals not the cal of rifle you choose to use. .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ask yourself whether you would really like something that kicked less and then swallow your pride and learn to shoot it. You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike, you are painting with a wide brush here, many of us shoot magnums, don't wound game with them and enjoy shooting them. In fact some of us get a kick out of them. grin

Well said� this X2...

God Bless America!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bea175
they are no harder to kill than any other animal if the bullet takes down the lungs.

So, an elk is as easy to kill as a pronghorn?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, so define "easy to kill."

If you hit an elk a little far back with a .30 caliber 165 grain bullet, crease the lungs and hit the liver, how far will it go before it dies, and how far would a similarly-hit pronghorn go?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot either in the right place, they die promptly.

I've seen both elk and pronghorn go for miles and miles when shot poorly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think you answered my question, and I have seen double-lung shot elk (50 caliber bullet) go 200 yards. Never seen a pronghorn do that. Or heard of one doing it. Could be my inexperience with pronghorns.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've seen pronghorn hit with high lung shots by bowhunters run a couple miles. I've seen pronghorn shot nicely through the lungs with Barnes bullets that didn't open travel a long damned ways. I've seen liver shot pronghorn go a long damned ways. I've seen gut shot pronghorn, and pronghorn with wounds to several extremities, keeping up with the herd, heading for science knows where.

Haven't been in on nearly as much elk killing, but have been in enough elk rodeos to know it's not something I want to repeat.

The wounded pronghorn were in open country, so they were often easier to find than a wounded elk. But that's an entirely different subject. Shoot something around the edges or blow a leg off and you're in for a rodeo. Put about any sort of decent bullet through the breathy/bleedy region, it's going to croak soon. This killing stuff just isn't that hard.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never said it was, and never said you need a magnum or even an '06-based cartridge to kill an elk.

I just don't believe they're as easy to kill as a pronghorn.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot them in the right place they die promptly. Shoot them in the wrong place they don't. Doesn't really matter what species we're talking about.

I wouldn't say that if one animal goes 100 yards after a shot, while another goes 50 yards that the 100 yarder was any harder to kill. These variables can be just as much about an individual's tenacity as any trait of the species. Very large animals may take a little longer to bleed out, but I wouldn't say that makes them tougher to kill.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe not. But when I said I'd seen a double-lunged elk go 200 yards, it wasn't a Barnes that penciled through, it was a 350 grain soft lead bullet that went through the on-side clavicle, took out both lungs, expanded to the size of a quarter, and stopped under the off-side hide.

I would guess that a similarly-wounded pronghorn would not go far.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Out of curiosity, what led up to the shot on said elk?

IME elk that go far after good hits were usually "bumped" before the shot.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.