Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I recall reading a lot of Jack O'Connor, John Jobson and Russell Annabel in OL when I was a kid. I read every word and as kids do memorized much of it. I have since had 1 or more rifles in many calibers (most larger than .270 but some smaller) and have shot a few head of deer, elk, bear and moose. I get very tired of the many posts I seen asking if XXX is enough gun for deer or elk or whatever. If the caliber is .243 or larger the answer is "YES". It IS where you hit them not necessarily what you hit them with. All of these writers took many more head of game than I and almost all with .270 or less (Mr. Annabel really like the 250-3000 Savage which is quite light by the standards of today). Ask yourself whether you would really like something that kicked less and then swallow your pride and learn to shoot it. You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike

NRALife

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by Mac284338
You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike

NRALife

I was following everything you said until the last sentence. I call bs since it's pretty ridiculous. It may be true for you, but not for many others here. I get along just fine with a good magnum. On the bench, in field positions and on game. The last sentence in your post is like spreading schit over a good cake.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You'll do better with a 150 grainer

Just saying.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Keep in ming that archery hunters kill elk every year, and all reasonable centerfire rifles are more powerful than a blade a 300 FPS.

A week ago today I was high on a mountain in Utah watching a guide quarter an elk. He said he'd rather have a hunter show up in camp with a .270 Win that he can shoot than a magnum that he can't.

I agree with Mac: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a lot better than an '06 in the guts. But that's merely my opinion that mirrors Mac's.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
A week ago today I was high on a mountain in Utah watching a guide quarter an elk.

So now you're an expert on elk hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
270 Win w/130 gr.
I've taken a truckload of elk with a 270. I always used 150's. They shoot to almost the same point of impact to well over 300 yds and carry more energy when they get there. They have just a little more oomph at longer ranges.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mac284338
Ask yourself whether you would really like something that kicked less and then swallow your pride and learn to shoot it. You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike, you are painting with a wide brush here, many of us shoot magnums, don't wound game with them and enjoy shooting them. In fact some of us get a kick out of them. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

"He[meaning the outfitter or guide]said he'd rather have a hunter show up in camp with a .270 Win that he can shoot than a magnum that he can't.

Can't count the number of times I've read something similar to this over the yrs. Got to agree.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It never ceases to amaze me how often this topic comes up on forums. In my opinion, an elk is a tough, thick animal and needs the best caliber/bullet combo that you can shoot.

The difference in recoil between several .270s that I have shot and my 7 mags is negligible. It is more of a mental state than anything. Just because it is a magnum, it automatically kicks more in the eyes of many.

Many of the standard calibers (.308, 06, .270, 7-08 etc.) are great for elk. I think that the .243 is too light for the average person and not acceptable for marginal conditions such as steep angles and long ranges. If you have easy access to un-disturbed elk and have perfect shot ops, then it will work.

I just don't understand why people want to show how great they are by using a light caliber for elk. The cost of an elk hunt can be substantial and I don't want to blow a chance because of not having enough rifle to handle the conditions.

If someone cannot handle the recoil of at least 7-08 or 270, then they should re-consider as to whether they should be hunting elk.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Then there are some guys who can handle the recoil of a 7-08 or .270 quite well, but choose to kill their elk with a "lesser" cartridge like the .260.......

And I don't think they'll be re-considering any time soon.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ive never shot a elk before but ive seen firsthand a 130gr bullet fail to exit a whitetail deer add in the larger/thicker body of a elk and I have to say its too small IMO. Now with a good placed 150gr load its a new ball game.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father guided elk hunters in the Gallatin during the infancy of the 270. He never had one good thing to say about the 270, claiming he had to finish every elk shot with it. This was before the proliferation of magnums.

I never had any use for a 270 due to his tutelage, and killed dozens of elk with a 30-06. Since then, I picked up a nice pre-64 model 70 in 270. Although I would hunt elk with my 300 WBY mag, if all I had was my 270 and I saw an elk, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. Many things have changed since the 30's and 40's...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper
It never ceases to amaze me how often this topic comes up on forums. In my opinion, an elk is a tough, thick animal and needs the best caliber/bullet combo that you can shoot.

The difference in recoil between several .270s that I have shot and my 7 mags is negligible. It is more of a mental state than anything. Just because it is a magnum, it automatically kicks more in the eyes of many.

Many of the standard calibers (.308, 06, .270, 7-08 etc.) are great for elk. I think that the .243 is too light for the average person and not acceptable for marginal conditions such as steep angles and long ranges. If you have easy access to un-disturbed elk and have perfect shot ops, then it will work.

I just don't understand why people want to show how great they are by using a light caliber for elk. The cost of an elk hunt can be substantial and I don't want to blow a chance because of not having enough rifle to handle the conditions.

If someone cannot handle the recoil of at least 7-08 or 270, then they should re-consider as to whether they should be hunting elk.

People like to over dramatize how tough elk are, the drama increasing the further east of Rocky Mountains one lives. Real life experience; however, doesn't support this myth. You shoot an elk in the lungs and it dies rather quickly, regardless of caliber.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Those who haven't read it should read he posts on "Field Report From RSA and Namibia"
The original poster just returned from Africa where he took 29 animals with a 270 and a 129 grain bullet. Only one animal required a second shot. He also talked to three PHs regarding cartridge selection. Casts some good light on the 270/103 grain discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that most hunters would agree that if you can shoot a 300WM as well as you can shoot a 243Win. the 300WM would be a better chose for elk.
IME most cannot especially from field positions.

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 09/22/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sbhooper,

I agree with you. There isn't much recoil difference between my .270 Win & my 7MM Rem Mag. However, my 7MM Rem Mag has a 24" barrel & weighs every ounce of 10lbs, scope included. My .270 Win has a 22" barrel and weighs at least 2lbs less with scope included. That's why I'd prefer to carry my .270 Win.

There is no doubt in my mind that were I to have shot the same bull I killed a week ago yesterday with my .270 Win, it would have been the same outcome, assuming, of course, that the bullet went in the same place & I was using a 150 grain Partition.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A .243 for elk? Are you nuts?!! At least keep the shots close!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out of respect for the animal, use as much gun as you can shoulder and shoot well.

Can a .243 kill an elk? Yes, but it will take longer and a misplaced shot will increase the risk of of wounding and lost game. With the .270, just step up to the heaviest load you can buy (150 gr.) or you can handload up to 165gr.

A 30-06 with a 180-grain bullet will slam an elk and take him down much faster with a well-placed shot and a poorly placed shot will open a bigger wound and give you a better blood trail. Not dissing the smaller calibers, just being real about what they do on a 700 pound animal.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 09/22/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Killed only one elk with the .270 140gr. She ran about 125-150 yards.. Double lung.. It is not my pick of elk guns, but it got that job done..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Bingo Sans...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.