Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was pondering specs for 3 rifle projects and was thinking of recoil pads. I have always liked the Pachmayr Decelerator, and I have a Triple Magnum mounted on my .358 Norma Mag.

With the new wave of super soft pads, what is your experience on big bore guns that carry a thump? I have heard that a firm pad is better, the reasoning being the same as to why they have that very firm rubber on loading docks. Foam rubber just won't absorb the shock.

Having fired a few heavy hitting rifles and shotguns over time, I always thought a softer pad (within reason) would absorb the shock better, but I believe it would take some experimentation on the same gun to make a determination.

Your thoughts? Experiences?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Your thoughts? Experiences?

Depends on the recoil. Depends on the sighting system.

I like the softest pad I can shoot without the stock and recoil pad compressing so much the scope hits me in the head.

Example: I had 2 different 700 XCRs, one in .375 H&H, one in .338 RUM. I had 2 scopes ... not merely identical, but the same scopes got mounted on both rifles at different times, one a Leupold 2.5-8X, the other their 3-9X. The .375 would occasionally brush me with either scope but never gave me a hard hit. At least 2 of 10 shots with the .338 RUM would smash the scope into my skull hard enough to ring my bell. (I even eventually tried a scope with over 5 inches of eye relief and still got hit.)

Both had a lot of recoil but both were manageable so far as my shoulder was concerned, it was the hits to the head I didn't like. I got rid of the .338 RUM after a while. In hindsight, I suspect I could have made it work if I'd gone with a little stiffer stock and a firmer recoil pad. Yeah, it would have hit my shoulder more, but I was not to my tolerance level there. It might have saved my noggin.

What I picture happening is that under very heavy recoil with a soft pad, you've basically got an inch less eye relief with the scope than you'd have with a hard plate. If the stock is flexible under extreme recoil, as I believe the XCR stock was, eye relief is compromised even further .. regardless of what the scope starts out with.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can only relate my experience with factory fitted pads.

Both my CZ550s (375 and 458) have deep, soft pads. They appear to work well, but the rifles are heavy anyway. The top tip of the pads are becoming damaged from placing the rifles in rifle rack (standing up) - too soft maybe?

The standard pad on my Merkel 500NE is very thin and relatively hard but works very well. My shoulder does not suffer at all from bruising or otherwise that might be related to a bad pad. The top of this pad has a hard plastic tip that prevents damage to the rubber pad when the rifle is racked. This tip sits above my shoulder and doesn't contact me during recoil - could likely cause bruising if it did.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Gents. In my opinion, something in the middle is best. I saw an ultra soft pad come out of the safe looking like it was made of that old black electrical tape. Nasty!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's the original pad on my Brno 602 in 375H&Hmag that I had many years ago (one of those rifles that I wish I hadn't sold). It's a hard, ventilated style. It worked well on the 375 but not my friends 300WM (also a Brno 602 - almost identical rifle to mine). So it worked on the big push recoil but not the fast sharp recoil.

[Linked Image]

Well?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the Pachmayer Decelerator pads. But since I have extremely long arms for my height (knuckle dragger) I typically add a limbsaver slip on recoil as well to adjust for my LOP of 14.5" for my 500 Jeffery. Really takes the sting out of it.

Last edited by colorado; 09/17/14.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The solid pads begin to get hard around 50*. Once you hit 40* they are very hard and in freezing temps they are like blocks of plastic. The Pachmayer is excellent until you get to the point under hard recoil the pad is fully compressed and the stock smashes the large nerve running through your shoulder down into your arm.
I have a rubber Silvers on my .375W that I like very much.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
The solid pads begin to get hard around 50*. Once you hit 40* they are very hard and in freezing temps they are like blocks of plastic. The Pachmayer is excellent until you get to the point under hard recoil the pad is fully compressed and the stock smashes the large nerve running through your shoulder down into your arm.
I have a rubber Silvers on my .375W that I like very much.

Like this?

[Linked Image]

Kinda why I added the slip on Limbsaver to my 500 Jeffery

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dang boy! That brings back the memory of firing my .500 A-Square for the first time.

I bought the rifle in 1996 from the original owner out of California. He had never made it to Africa so wanted to get rid of it. Once it was here I put it on a baby scale and with four cartridges weighed exactly 11 pounds 4 ounces. I telephoned Art Alphin at his old facility in Kentucky to ask him what this thing would do to me. He told me it recoiled like a .375 H&H due to the large area of the butt. Okay, I have a .375 H&H. Art lied. It was something I cannot even describe. Kind of like your photo; it is better than words. Dang!

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I put 15 rounds through my 458 Lott off the bench a couple of weeks ago. It has the factory Winchester pad- solid not too soft, not too hard. I was worried that it would damage me- Not a mark and it has considerable recoil-especially sitting down behind it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dang boy! That brings back the memory of firing my .500 A-Square for the first time.

I bought the rifle in 1996 from the original owner out of California. He had never made it to Africa so wanted to get rid of it. Once it was here I put it on a baby scale and with four cartridges weighed exactly 11 pounds 4 ounces. I telephoned Art Alphin at his old facility in Kentucky to ask him what this thing would do to me. He told me it recoiled like a .375 H&H due to the large area of the butt. Okay, I have a .375 H&H. Art lied. It was something I cannot even describe. Kind of like your photo; it is better than words. Dang!

Every time I hear someone say the 500s are more of a "push" and their 300 Mags recoil is more unpleasant I start to laugh. I have a friend who has a 6 lb 338 Mag and he was thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it. I let him shoot my 11 lb 500 Jeffery and he said "you're right, my rifle doesn't kick much, I don't need a brake"

smile

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado

Every time I hear someone say the 500s are more of a "push" and their 300 Mags recoil is more unpleasant I start to laugh. I have a friend who has a 6 lb 338 Mag and he was thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it. I let him shoot my 11 lb 500 Jeffery and he said "you're right, my rifle doesn't kick much, I don't need a brake"

smile

That perception comes from old English 12lb to 13lb doubles shooting 500gr or slightly less at Vo of about 2100fps. That includes .475, .470, 450/500, .465/500 which from performance standpoint are same thing. People cite what they read because last Dominion Grade back action side-lock .465/500 sold for well over 30,000USD. That is something few people get to shoot or own. It was probably hedge against inflation to the guy that bought it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soft pads are great, until they bottom out. Ouchhhhhh... Have found a couple rifles that went from grins to ouch with a bit more powder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

smile

Yeah, I think the comparison between a 300mag and a 500Jeffery is too much of a stretch - there's just too much recoil energy from the Jeffery.

I have fired a 300WinMag and a 375H&H mag in the same rifle (Brno 602s, both the same vintage) and the 300WM's recoil was less pleasant that the 375H&H. I could bench shoot the 375H&H all day but gave the 300WM back to my mate after a couple of bench shots. They did have the old ventilated rubber style recoil pads though. I suspect the outcome using the modern CZ550 magnums with their soft pads would be a different story though.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Soft pads are great, until they bottom out. Ouchhhhhh... Have found a couple rifles that went from grins to ouch with a bit more powder.

A friend of mine put a mushy pad on his .470 NE. It was so soft that it came with a little stubby golf tee peg like thing that could be inserted into the pad so the rifle could be placed on the floor butt down without the pad squirting out from under the rifle.

After shooting it like that a few times he went a different route with a firmer pad.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by 86thecat

A friend of mine put a mushy pad on his .470 NE. It was so soft that it came with a little stubby golf tee peg like thing that could be inserted into the pad so the rifle could be placed on the floor butt down without the pad squirting out from under the rifle.

After shooting it like that a few times he went a different route with a firmer pad.

I think I remember him! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes you do. whistle

And after going to all the trouble to find the original and retrieve it for him, I've now lost it. blush It'll turn up - I hope.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot a 50BMG on a mauser magnum action and I didn't ask the gentleman to please let me do try it one more time. crazy

My 350 Rem Mag on a super light Remington 600 with a kevlar stock has hurt me with the scope coming back 'fast and furious'. I've got a much longer eye relief on that rifle now.

But I've never shot most of the heavy kickers you guys are talking about.

I like the Pachmayer Decelerator pads on the rifles I own, including that light 600 and a kevlar stocked 338 I used to own.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option is the Pachmeyr SC100 sporting clay decelerator pad.

It has a harder heel insert to keep it from hanging up as you mount it. Works well in a vertical gun rack too.

I'm a recoil wimp and if I bench anything with much recoil or even shoot a lot of magnum rounds I like to have a sorbathane type recoil patch on my shirt or jacket in addition to the decelerator pad.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

smile

Yeah, I think the comparison between a 300mag and a 500Jeffery is too much of a stretch - there's just too much recoil energy from the Jeffery.

I have fired a 300WinMag and a 375H&H mag in the same rifle (Brno 602s, both the same vintage) and the 300WM's recoil was less pleasant that the 375H&H. I could bench shoot the 375H&H all day but gave the 300WM back to my mate after a couple of bench shots. They did have the old ventilated rubber style recoil pads though. I suspect the outcome using the modern CZ550 magnums with their soft pads would be a different story though.

The 602 .300WinMag I had years ago had heavy barrel and stock shape designed to emulate those found on old english porting rifles ie nice looking but useless. When average fellow mounted the gun they were looking at back of the bolt shroud. As expected despite 9lb+ weight the gun was hard kicker. I hated the set trigger and backward working safety latch as well. The only good things about the gun were the express sight blades were well regulated and magazine held five or perhaps even six? cartridges.
I do like my old Winchester 70 super .30. The gun handles well and due to sufficient weight (7lb14oz) I do not need recoil pad which is the way I like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.