Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Plab
so the wife wants to hunt with the mini 30, I reload and would like advice on bullet choice?

plab

should work, Kevin a guy I hunt with killed a deer with those mild steel soft pointed silver bear bullets in an SKS. I did not have the heart to tell him while we gutted the little buck that they would not work on deer.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Doesn't Hornady list a 123 gr. zmax, for like dirt cheap, stick that in the ribs of most any deer and it should hit the deck.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know about the Zmax stuff but Hornady used to make a .310" 123 gr. SP bullet; it was stock # 3140. Don't know if they still list that one but I've still got some from 14 years ago when I dabbled around with loading for an SKS. Toyed with the idea of using it on deer in a rifle zone as long as I limit myself to 5 rounds but never got around to it. I've got too many other things I wanna use. Mostly ran RL-7 powder and had trouble reaching the velocity of the mil-surp stuff but it would have been accurate enough for a woods rifle. If I had a decent bolt gun in 7.62x39 I would try it for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
That'd be interesting too, just not as cheap to shoot. I believe the SPC would be a dandy cartridge for the compact version with a youth length stock.

Same here. Always wondered why no one took that idea and ran with it.

Because Remington launched it and screwed the pooch, just like most cartridge launches they have their hands on.

With the SPC II in a Ruger you would think it would be a real good seller. I'm loading 85gr e-tips right now for my AR. 2900 fps sure doesn't suck.;)

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
125 ballistics worked like normal bullets in my nephews AR in x39. Don't recall what he runs for powder though but I don't care for Bts normally... this round is slow enough the 125 works like it should IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I shot this one in Maine last year with a Mini 30. Out of admittedly a very small sample of deer that I actually shot, this was the only one that dropped in it's tracks. [Linked Image] As far as reloading for the Mini 30 goes I would and do, just shoot the cheap Russian ammo for fun and practice and keep a couple boxes of good American soft points for hunting. My mini throws my good brass way off.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just be aware that the cheap, imported surplus is .310/.311 for the most part. American made 7.62x39 uses .308 diameter bullets. Some rifles will be finicky about what they digest.

[Linked Image]

I had a mini-Mauser, but disliked it after using it for awhile. Norinco FMJ and Federal SPs managed 1 1/4 inches @ 100 yd. The others, all topped with hunting bullets, Win, PP, Igman and PMC shot 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups. The skinny barrel was to blame, paired with the stock. I tried bedding and shimming, but it didn't seem to help much. The Rem 799 (Zastava) looked pretty, but shot lousy. Handloads or factory, it didn't like any of the ammunition.

123 Hornady SPs, 125 Sierras were 1 3/4 inch groups. Benchmark gave me some 1.5 inch clusters, but I wasn't really happy with any of them.

I did better with 150s. They grouped slightly smaller. Velocities were around 2000 fps.

One last thing: if you reload for this cartridge, watch which case you use. I tested six brands. Winchester had the most volume; Lapua the least.

Example: 125 gr.Lapua bullet, 28.5 gr. AA1680. OAL of 2.200 inches.

Win. cases were filled to 86% and produced about 50kpsi. Lapua cases were filled to 99% and produced about 68kpsi. Follow the recipe from your manual carefully.

The 7.62x39 should be more successful than it is. Outside of the US, it is more popular. I tried to get a Savage in this cal., but was told that being in Canada put me toward the back of the line. This cartridge is the cat's ass for eastern deer and coyotes.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the CZ 527 and an AR with a Colt upper, both in X39. I have tried 6-8 different bullets in both and have yet to find one that didn't perform adequately. They range from the Hornady 123 gr SP p to 150 gr FMJ for plinking. Both .308 and 310 were included and I couldn't really see much difference in accuracy. The loads settled on for each rifle stay around 1.25 MOA and often better. I also have a cast bullet load for the CZ that shoots under 2MOA.

So far, I haven't been lucky enough to have an opportunity at a whitetail while carrying one of these, but feel pretty confidant either will do the job when that time comes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
CZ makes one

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know, but based on CZ's reputation, their rifle will probably outperform the Zastava.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got both the Cz and the Rem 799.

I really like these little rifles. Both are .311 bore. The Hornady load works fine in both. Privi, Tula, Wolfe, Winchester and several other euro loads work fine, as well.

I've taken 3 or 4 does with the 799, all bang/flop, of course they usally do, when shot in the head. The last was about 145 yards, right under the ear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Seems like Reloader 7 and 1680 were the powders I used when I loaded for one.

I had one of the distributor run Ruger 77mkII Ultralights, with the boat paddle stock.

Seems like I loaded the 125 grain Sierra for it too.

Good luck finding any Accurate 1680 or WC680. I think you would have a better chance of picking up Pixie Sticks with your buttcheeks.

I have some stashed but after I load 7.62x39 again the barrel will be dry. It is absotively the best I've used with 123-125 grain soft point Hornady bullets in my mini 30.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-s-b-123gr-sp-ammo,-20rd-box.-p-4356.html

I would buy this Sellier and Belliot ammo and feel well prepared.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My brother-in-law and I hunted a New York apple orchard with just our Mini 30's. He wouldn't let me bring any other caliber. He always told me to pack the " Little Gun " as he called it. Ammo was 122 gr, 123 gr and 124 gr Russian Hollow points Lead Core Bullets manufactured by Barnaul. For 10 years straight we hunted this orchard. The hunt season always started on a Monday (at that time) and we headed home on Weds with a full truck. We each had 1 buck tag and 2 anterless tags. We also managed to receive pest control tags from the owner so we could get away for a week-end from Jan 1st to March 31st. We donated the meat to various soup kitchens.

Mini 30 - 1 Blue / 1 Stainless (mine) 60+ Deer in 10 years between the 2 of us. 30-30 power at it's finest in a little carbine. If my brother-in-law was still here today I know we'd be right back at the orchard with our Little Guns.

Ken

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I don't know, but based on CZ's reputation, their rifle will probably outperform the Zastava.

Yep, I've had both and the CZ is head and shoulders above the Zasttav.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-s-b-123gr-sp-ammo,-20rd-box.-p-4356.html

I would buy this Sellier and Belliot ammo and feel well prepared.

I bought 300 rds of this ammo for use in my CZ527 carbine and it has performed pretty well, but for hunting I prefer either Federal or Remington's softpoint ammo.

The S&B ammo is brass cased, but the bullet has a mild steel jacket with a copper or guilding metal plating and in my experiments it penetrated deeper and expanded less than either the Federal or Remington SP's. Velocity was higher, though at around 2,400 fps for the S&B versus the low to mid 2,200 fps range for the domestic stuff.

On handloading the 7.62X39 - I've had my rifle for a few years, but have only loaded for it one time. I used Hornady's 123 gr SP, Winchester brass, Accurate Arms 2200C powder and CCI primers.*Beware of using Winchester ammo or Winchester primers in the CZ 527 - the CZ firing pin spring lacks the oomph to reliably ignite the Winchester primers.

I loaded about 1 grain below maximum and got decent velocity measured in the upper 2,200 fps range and fair accuracy of around 1 1/4" for 3 shots. Both the Federal and Remington were MOA or better, so I've got more work to do on this load.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The CZ 527 is a very handy rifle for woods hunting. I use cast bullets in mine and had a 165 FNGC mold made for deer hunting. The only problem is I've never had a shot at a deer when using it. It's pure destruction on armadillos though! grin This is the largest animal I've shot:

[Linked Image]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bruinruin

*Beware of using Winchester ammo or Winchester primers in the CZ 527 - the CZ firing pin spring lacks the oomph to reliably ignite the Winchester primers.

[/quote]

I contacted CZ USA about this and they sent me a stronger firing pin spring so the problem went away.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The hard thing with the Mini-30 always seems to be accuracy and inappropriate use more than anything else. This is not a long range rifle.

I remember a thread on the 'Campfire years ago about the SKS. The problem isn't that the SKS makes a bad deer rifle, but you team up a (in those days) $50 SKS and ($.10/round) ammo and you get a sprayer. By the time you get the bugs worked out of the SKS and feed it reasonable ammo, the cheap goes away in a hurry, and what you end up with is somewhat less than a 30-30. The same is true of a Mini-30, only you don't have a cheap rifle to start with.

Bullet choice? I'd try a 130 Speer for starters and H4895. If that does not float your boat, I'd try a 150 grain 30-30 bullet.

If you use the Mini-30 as a close-in deep woods rifle, you will usually find it fits just fine. If you start lobbing stuff at deer across a wide field, it is not going to work as well. Somewhere in your searches you should be able to find a load that gets you a 2" group at 50 yards

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted for about four years with a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 and used Winchester white box and took several deer and a bunch of coyotes with it no problem.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.