Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I thought that I'd be happy killing one huge elk. I was wrong. Seems as though I've contracted huge elk fever.

I'd go again...right now...were I able.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Elk = Hunter's Heroin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You just slid in to a cross eyed club.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I thought that I'd be happy killing one huge elk.

...details?

Last edited by setch; 09/20/14.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Details are right here.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Congrats! Post us some picks we can see SS!

Last edited by NTG; 09/20/14.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, NTG.

I'll post pics as soon as my guide sends them to me. All I have are a few cellphone photos one of which is posted on the Eastman's site.

This is a busy time of year for my guide. As soon as he can download photos he shot, photoshop a few points to my bull's main beams, make him a toad, then he'll send them to me & I'll post him.

I do have a sense of humor. That was a joke going 'round camp. Apparently a hunter of years ago wasn't going to drop a hammer on anything under 385. I guess the dude thought that he could dictate huntin' terms & conditions to Mother Nature. He found out on the second-to-last day that it's called hunting for a reason, so he had to accept a 370+ bull.

Anyway, my bull scored 370+, was 50"+ small change wide, weighed 900lbs+, and was 10 years.

If you click on the Eastman's link you can see a cellphone shot of him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sounds like a great hunt. I like that you had to push so hard for that one bull. I read so many stories of guys on a guided hunt and it hardly seems they worked for the kill. I know I'd feel cheated if that happened to me. It doesn't sound like you were cheated at all.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hi setch,

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate it.

There was nothing easy about that hunt. I was double dosing prescription naproxen just to hunt. My guide seemed to know how far he could push me, and that's what he did. For that, I'm grateful. For without his assessing my willingness to hunt along with the extent of my surgically repaired injuries, I would not have experienced the absolute best hunt of my life.

I'd go again in a New York second even though it took me at least three days to recuperate. Every once of pain, agony, and exertion were absolutely worth the effort.

The way I look at adventure vacations, if I don't come home exhausted, I've cheated myself. I came home exhausted. I literally couldn't move for close to two days. I was happy...and still am.

Take care,

SS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool...we seem to have similar mindsets.

You mention the guide by name, but was he with an outfitter? If so, who was that?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hi setch,

blacktimberoutfitters.net

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I'll check them out

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BTO..you hunt the Blues or Elk Ridge?

Was Travis or Todd your guide?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Good Morning, rosco1,

We hunted Elk Ridge.

Travis, AKA: Bighorn Ram. That dude could find elk in Downtown LA. He's a stand-up dude. I'd hunt with him again in a New York second. I hope to if I'm drawn for buck deer next year.

Take care,

SS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 4 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.