Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I only have burr a few as it is. My dad and I recently went over the idea of swing some guns to buy a travel trailer, I couldn't really think of what I would sell... possibly my pre 64, although I wanted one forever and found EXACTLY what I wanted from a buddy, or my m4, but that's my shtf gun, or my 3006, but that's the first rifle I ever bought....

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Will be 53 in November and maybe just seeing things differently than 20 years ago.

You're 2 years ahead of me on the same path.

Having the perfect rifle for each situation is not as important to me as it used to be yet I can't let go of the pursuit I've been locked into for 30+ years. Even though I really no longer give a [bleep] I can't stop going through the same motions. There doesn't seem to be a 12 step program for this particular addiction.

TOM,

I'm 17 years ahead of you and still dealing with the same addiction. I started collecting Remington 721 and 722's because that's what my dad and uncles used. And they are fairly reasonable.

But I'm a Mauser guy at heart. Now I've found a custom gun maker who is reasonable (as they go)so I'm in the process of selling off my Remingtons (anyone need a 300H&H or .244 ?)and replacing them with custom mausers.

Well. Gotta have something to leave the grandsons.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep , gonna sell off a few soon smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All of my rifles are totally boring!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
No!

JAFO,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I pretty much have all I want, for sure all I need.. May buy some more if something strikes my fancy, but for now I am content. I think of selling some, but many have been worked over with custom stocks or barrels.. I would never recover my $.. not even close.. I have two of my former students, and one of my pals that will get most of them..
Years ago, I thought I was pretty well set when I had my .22-250, 25-06, and .300.. Along with my .22 and 870 12, I felt I was prepared.. I was.. I could still exist with those, but life wouldn't be as interesting or fun..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Outcast, how much for the H & H and .244???

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes. Will retire soon and am down to a very small safe full. I have no duplicate rifles or chamberings but some overlap in application and yet each fills specific niches in my mind. Nothing fancy at all.

No to say my tastes and desires don't occasionally overshoot my resources and real needs like they did this afternoon. I spotted a Merkel .22 Hornet in Cabela's Gun Library.

Saweeeeeeeet!! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

am

content...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The day I get tired of guns or the next project just bury me.

Beyond that there isn't much on the face of the earth here that I want to hunt, and can afford to, that I couldn't take with my very first rifle. 243 win in a Rem 788. Especially with the advent of Barnes mono bullets.

So I could have been done there. Or at least by my very next rifle, 300 wtby fibermark.

But I'm thankful I"m not done yet....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent my youth looking at pictures of custom rifles and daydreaming of owning one some day.

In the mean time I bought, traded and tried many different factory rifles and they were easy to let go of.

Then I started restocking a few and that was enjoyable, still easy to let go.

Finally decided I needed to fulfill the desire for a full custom(Mauser of course)

Unfortunately my finances said not so much!
Then one day at a gun show I found a 1909 Argentine action for $200, thought ya I can swing that, saved for a barrel, stock...

Kinda like a layaway plan.

Well the addiction was in full force after building my first custom and many Mauser's later and I still have hard time passing up a clean Mauser action when I find one.

The cool side affect is I have so much time into my customs and they cant be easily replaced that I will never sell one, therefore they are immune to my gun trading affliction.

To satisfy the tinkerer and trader in me my disposable, trade able rifles are Savages. Love the damn things! I swap barrels, stocks etc...
And they are accurate! oh and did I mention cheap? laugh

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thankfully I never had a gun trading affliction.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Fine firearms are a lot like good looking women. When you stop looking, it's over.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Outcast, how much for the H & H and .244???

sorry i took so long to get back. sold boyh for $450 each just three days later.

O

Too old to suffer fools
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have found that with more experience and more actual hunting days, I want less and less around. I have learned from experience that there really isn't very much difference between cartridges' actual performance. My ability is the deciding factor. If I perform well then almost anything will work. If I don't, then nothing will compensate for my mistakes. Having too much actually limits use.

I could get by very well with three or four rifles. Since I have fewer rifles I now spend much more money getting each just the way I want it. I'm more demanding regarding those that I do have.

Last edited by RinB; 12/28/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RinB
I have found that with more experience and more actual hunting days, I want less and less around. I have learned from experience that there really isn't very much difference between cartridges' actual performance. My ability is the deciding factor. If I perform well then almost anything will work. If I don't, then nothing will compensate for my mistakes. Having too much actually limits use.

That's why I am trying to work my way down to one... May not stay there. But, definitely less distracting with fewer...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think I might be arriving there myself...I look at guns and think why.....I still want for a few but many have become boring....mostly run of the mill Remington's..
A manlicher in 7x57 and a first model newton and a 358 model 88 have eluded me....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Yes I do feel I have all I need BUT. I still want more for some reason...funny thing I really only hunt with a few. It's a sickness there is really no cure for..
After moving most of my stuff to nebraska I have decided I need to trim down some. After all who needs 100 rifles I'm thinking of selling off some run of the mill stuff and upgrading to nicer higher end stuff...

This is pretty much me, except for the trimming down and moving to Nebraska stuff...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I knew I had "all I needed", until I thought about it some more. Then I realized I needed another one... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure don't need anything. Wife is on couch and can"t read this. However there are some very specific things I want. Also anything too cheap. That is a problem though, as I usually feel like I am ripping someone off and tell them what it is worth. Usually do not get it then. frown

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.