Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Reading in general has been mortally wounded by the three bullets: don't, won't, and can't. People don't read because they can have it beamed to them in pictures. People won't read because reading is harder than simply watching. And lastly, people can't read because schools are so poor.

DITTOS! DITTOS! DITTOS!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm cutting back. Still get American Rifleman (life member) and Smokejumper Magazine (life member); will probably always subscribe to Rifle and Handloader, but I'm reconsidering my subscriptions to Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, Guns, Golf, Golf Digest, National Geographic, etc., as they come up for renewal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I glanced at the Shotgun News tonight and most of what used to be classified ads are gone. There were articles with pictures and display ads but little or no classifieds.

The 'classifieds' are live right here on the net. Much faster and easier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I glanced at the Shotgun News tonight and most of what used to be classified ads are gone. There were articles with pictures and display ads but little or no classifieds.

Welcome to the last 20 years.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

you aint the brightest crayon in the box are you

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My girlfriend gave me one of those electronic books 2 years ago for Christmas. I just couldn't figure the thing out, that is, I couldn't figure out why it existed.
I love paper books. I have never used the electric book and the other day, she asked me where it was. I told her I didn't know.
She said it cost $200. Wie schade.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, the majority of my book purchases now are ebooks, stored mainly in the cloud. They don't collect dust or cause clutter. I carry an entire library in my left front pocket, i.e., my iPhone. At home I have two other options, i.e., my iPad or my Kindle Fire. Even have the original Kindle reader, but it's a dinosaur now, so hardly ever even see the thing, and not sure where it is at the moment. Doesn't matter, since the books aren't in it. they're in the cloud.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I read this thread I smiled. It is obvious there are a few book people on the Campfire. When I see the excitement on the faces of people at the opening of a Friends of the Library book sale, or a Project Read fundraiser, I know books and the printed word are not dead � not yet anyway.

There are too many interesting, even exciting books on shooting hunting and outdoor sports for a person to not only enjoy reading but to lament: �So many books, so little time.�

The October issue of the American Rifleman arrived yesterday. One of the short product reviews was about the Palladium Press and the books of the Firearms Classics Library. If you are not a member of the Firearms Classics Library you are missing out on quite a selection of timeless books, offered at a reasonable price.

The product review lists a few of the books offered but misses some of the excitement of the series. The opportunity to own a copy of Elmer Keith�s Rifles for Large Game, bound in leather, for $30.00 is exciting for any Gun Crank.

The combined printing of Big Game Rifles and Cartridges and Sixgun Cartridges and Loads makes a treasure for any fan of Keith.

The Charles Landis books, Whelen books and Truesdell�s The Rifle and its Development for big Game Hunting are bargains.

The FCL printed Phil Sharpe�s Complete Guide to Handloading as a two volume set in smaller format which makes a handy outfit.

Well, I take time to read, every day. I still get excited when a used book catalog arrives and, while todays gun magazines �aint what they used to be,� I still enjoy reading them and complaining about them.

Slim
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rattler

actually mainly the large daily nation wide or large regional newspapers are doing bad.....community newspapers are doing quite well cause you cant just pull alot of that chit up on a google search......seems there are more new and specialty magazines now than ive ever seen lasting past the critical one year mark and right now is about the best time ever to be a book author cause it is so easy to self publish......damn cant imagine Savage 99 being wrong yet again....

LOL!!! I was thinkimg the same thing. Glad you posted this.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The internet has taken over as the dominate print media.

We don't get the paper any longer. We get that news from Fox, TV news and the Net.

I used to subscribe to magazines but let the subscriptions expire. Still get the Rifleman and Am. Hunter with the life memberships.

Near here a entire newspaper building is for sale.

[img]http://centralctpost.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/100_0429.jpg?w=453[/img]

I get my local news paper online and read most of my books from my Kindle Fire. I also watch most movie on my computer streaming from NetFlix or Youtube

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by rattler

actually mainly the large daily nation wide or large regional newspapers are doing bad.....community newspapers are doing quite well cause you cant just pull alot of that chit up on a google search......seems there are more new and specialty magazines now than ive ever seen lasting past the critical one year mark and right now is about the best time ever to be a book author cause it is so easy to self publish......damn cant imagine Savage 99 being wrong yet again....

LOL!!! I was thinkimg the same thing. Glad you posted this.

[Linked Image]

grin

PS thinkimg is spelled thinking!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by william_iorg
When I read this thread I smiled. It is obvious there are a few book people on the Campfire. When I see the excitement on the faces of people at the opening of a Friends of the Library book sale, or a Project Read fundraiser, I know books and the printed word are not dead � not yet anyway.

There are too many interesting, even exciting books on shooting hunting and outdoor sports for a person to not only enjoy reading but to lament: �So many books, so little time.�

The October issue of the American Rifleman arrived yesterday. One of the short product reviews was about the Palladium Press and the books of the Firearms Classics Library. If you are not a member of the Firearms Classics Library you are missing out on quite a selection of timeless books, offered at a reasonable price.

The product review lists a few of the books offered but misses some of the excitement of the series. The opportunity to own a copy of Elmer Keith�s Rifles for Large Game, bound in leather, for $30.00 is exciting for any Gun Crank.

The combined printing of Big Game Rifles and Cartridges and Sixgun Cartridges and Loads makes a treasure for any fan of Keith.

The Charles Landis books, Whelen books and Truesdell�s The Rifle and its Development for big Game Hunting are bargains.

The FCL printed Phil Sharpe�s Complete Guide to Handloading as a two volume set in smaller format which makes a handy outfit.

Well, I take time to read, every day. I still get excited when a used book catalog arrives and, while todays gun magazines �aint what they used to be,� I still enjoy reading them and complaining about them.

are they starting that up again?.....dammit been waiting for them to do it again but ofcourse they would start back up when im broke cry really wish i would have had the cash a year ago to make Ken a legit offer on his complete set frown

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I still enjoy reading from a book. It seems like I get more eye strain when I read everything on a monitor or screen [including significant documentation online]. On the other hand, I would really enjoy having the ability to carry more than one book if I traveled somewhere and carrying around a bunch of book is not practical. The convenience will likely win someday, but for now, I'm staying away from e books.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.