Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
It shipped today. I got it from Cabelas. It's a 20 ga with 28" barrels and 3" chamber at 6.5 lbs. I had one in 12 ga when I was a kid so this is more of a nostalgia purchase than anything. I will be taking it dove hunting Sat.

I enjoy SXS shotguns and was fornuate enough to find a Merkel model 8 in my price range right here at the fire last year. Now I feel like I am getting back a piece of my lost youth with this Falcon.

I was stupid and lost it to a pawn shop when I was about 20 but I had broken 99 straight skeet with that gun when I was 17 years old. I was a fool to let it go but hind sight is always 20/20 and I now feel like I will have one again to pass to my son.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congratulations! but we need pictures man.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
You will get them.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'd love to see it. I have heard they are nice pointing shotguns. Pics when you get a chance!

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I like for bird guns. A handy side by side double 20 ga!

You mention Ugartechea and I have a #221 with 25" barrels and a 13.75" lop at 5# 9oz. It feels so handy. (On the right.)

The one I have used the most is my V.Bernadelli Gamecock with 27.5" barrels and a 14.125" lop at 5# 13oz.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well guys, it's giving me problems so it's going back for service. I'll take pictures anyway so it doesn't come back with any additional marks, but this is why I haven't posted any yet.

It won't open if you fire both barrels one at a time. You can shoot either barrel and reload and it is fine but if you shoot twice, it locks closed. It has done this twice for me, the only times I have shot both barrels.

The only way I could get it open was to remove the forearm and manually cock the hammer springs, which released the firing pins(I assume). Anyway, it felt like the firing pins were stuck. The primers were not pierced, and the lever felt fine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There was a thread on here recently about either an Uggy or some other Spanish gun doing the same thing, the thread made mention of checking primer heights in reloads, and that Winchester factory loads are known to cause these issues to.

Do a search mate. Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited by obewan; 09/25/14.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by obewan
There was a thread on here recently about either an Uggy or some other Spanish gun doing the same thing, the thread made mention of checking primer heights in reloads, and that Winchester factory loads are known to cause these issues to.

Cheers, Scott.

I thought that was likely the problem but i got it checked out and someone screwed up trying to lengthen the forcening cone on the right side. the chamber on the right is 30 thousands deeper and causing pressure issues.

No problem though. I contacted Cabela's and they are refunding all my money. No hassle with them at all. Now I just have to ship it back and look for something else.

I'll likely buy a Beretta 686 20 ga next go around. Possibly new with 29.5" barrels.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by obewan

Cheers, Scott.

I thought that was likely the problem but i got it checked out and someone screwed up trying to lengthen the forcening cone on the right side. the chamber on the right is 30 thousands deeper and causing pressure issues.

No problem though. I contacted Cabela's and they are refunding all my money. No hassle with them at all. Now I just have to ship it back and look for something else.

I'll likely buy a Beretta 686 20 ga next go around. Possibly new with 29.5" barrels.

Hmm that's a shame mate. On the flip side the Beretta will be a great gun I'm sure, I have one in 28g. grin

Cheers, Scott.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 18 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.