Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I haven't lived in big game country in quite some time. The largest caliber rifle I have right now is a 257 Roberts which is ideal for what I hunt. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to hunt brown bear, but I have been knocking off bucket list items for a while now. One of those bucket list items is elk or moose, and I doubt I'll be fortunate enough to do that trip in AK, so a brown bear worthy caliber isn't something I can justify even in the unique way us gun owners justify stuff. After my replacement surgery, I'll see what I can shoot comfortably. Right now I am thinking about the 338 Federal. I do my own loading and have an affinity for oddball calibers. Heck, I reckon if I lived in Kodiak again, I'd probably favor the 338 Federal even with a good shoulder.

Paul, whatever you shoot, if you haven't considered them, the Past and Cabela's thick shoulder pads make a huge difference to me. My dad, for example, was pretty leery about firing my 700BDL in .300 WM, but he tried it with the pad and a 1-lb bipod (for at least range use) to add recoil-absorbing weight and didn't have a problem with it. I don't use one, but a Lead Sled or something like that might also help. And given your shoulder's sensitivity, maybe even a removable muzzle brake (using double hearing protection).

Also, if you like the .338 Federal, a semi-auto, like this (http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07H.php) would have further reduced recoil. A lot of people don't like black rifles, but if you don't mind them, it could be a decent option. It might break your wallet more than your shoulder.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This one just missed minimum.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the palms measure as much as 12 inches wide that moose will easily break 210 gross, which is the B&C awards minimum. Whether it will make it past 224 (all time minimum) I'm uncertain, but I suspect it's close. This moose is impressive, but Sitka is correct in that the impressiveness of the antlers, due to tine length and overall mass, does not contribute to the score.

Regardless, it's a great moose. It'll be tough to do better on future hunts.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Moose, memorable hunt, and big without getting overly wonky in the rack as is so common with many of the bigger antlered bulls.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[quote=AK375DGR]... MH or Marinehawk, appears to be one of those guys, that just has to have the "last-word" no matter what, I've had some run-in's with those types of fellow's, in my 65yrs. on this Terra-firma, I don't think he got much attention when he was little, so he's maybe "Over Compensating" a bit now...

F-you. "Last word"? I haven't posted on this since July 13 despite several comments about me since then.---MH

WOW,,, I got an "F-you", and I "Attacked you", WOW again,,, My comment about you, although not directed to you, "but part of a post to another member here", was what I took-away, from the "Quantity & Quality" of your previous posts on this subject matter, ie... My Opinion, So its obvious I "Hit"a sore spot here, and you Know what they say, if the "Shoe-fits" wear it.

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won't "where" any shoe you have to offer.

Yeah, you publicly questioned my parent's work on bringing me up because I have a different take on calibers than you. I've never done that kind of weird personal attack based on someone else's disagreeing opinion on ammunition choices. If you attack my parents, I will tell you to F-off; its a response to an attack.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well,,,True to form, like I said,,,"The Last Word"-

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is this what you are interpreting as an attack on your parents?

I don't think he got much attention when he was little...

That's not the way I read it, but whatever. I think the world would be a better place if more people were told to F-off.

Either way - awesome moose - congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

And you drew this conclusion in three posts? I would suggest getting to know some of the members here before judging their character.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Is this what you are interpreting as an attack on your parents?

I don't think he got much attention when he was little...

That's not the way I read it, but whatever. I think the world would be a better place if more people were told to F-off.

Either way - awesome moose - congrats.

Thanks cwh.

Sorry, but, yeah, I don't know who typically supposedly could have failed to give one enough attention as a child other than a parent. I won't say the same thing when someone disagrees with my opinions, but I will get nasty when someone insults my parents when I simply take a position on a cartridge issue.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

And you drew this conclusion in three posts? I would suggest getting to know some of the members here before judging their character.

And your character is above board Whitworth, except that you keep killing innocent large animals with big bore revolvers. What did they ever do to you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heckuva nice moose! Congrats, glad I got to see him regardless of what he scores.

PB, my last two moose died via 120 gr. tsx outa 7mm-08

and no they weren't 70 inchers.

but moose die when hit in the right spot with a good bullet, been my experience anyway.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Heckuva nice moose! Congrats, glad I got to see him regardless of what he scores.

PB, my last two moose died via 120 gr. tsx outa 7mm-08

and no they weren't 70 inchers.

but moose die when hit in the right spot with a good bullet, been my experience anyway.

Total bullschit overkill!!! Riley killed his big bull last year with an 80gr TTSX. If you had a single hair on your azz you would move down a third in bullet weight! Chicken!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Whitworth1,,, I believe the 3-Posts your referring to, would have been made by me, but my opinion and comment, came after reading close to 40 +/- posts, and some pretty heated, by MarineHawk, with regards to the above subject matter.
So I would suggest to you, if and when you've got some time, to take a look back at said posts, and let me know your thoughts, or not.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I said something "heated"? Can't find that. I disagreed about whether or not someone might try to expand their caliber options upward, even if it is not absolutely necessary. You came in and attacked my upbringing by my family. That's "heated." I made no such comments.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh you have the guy figured out. If he didn't feel the need to have the last word, he wouldn't have posted his moose pics in this thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If he didn't feel the need to have the last word, he wouldn't have posted his moose pics in this thread.

Please explain this correlation - keep in mind that my coffee quota for the morning has not yet been fulfilled.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This was a bear hunt......with perhaps a wolf or other extra thrown in. Since it was a bear hunt it fits in this thread. crazy laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, a 71" bear is pretty nice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well, a 71" bear is pretty nice.

I'm going to have a taxidermist put the antlers on the head of my brown bear mount to save space.

Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.