Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I agree on the scope, Dre. We did the Leupold V3 3.5-10x with CDS turrets. It's the same scope I have on my mountain rifle and love it. I have the European glass on my whitetail and short hike elk rifles.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 with Talleys and a Leupold VX-2 . I think it's just a hair over 7 lbs IIRC. Inexpensive setup as far as rifles go. Easy to shoot. No recoil issues at all and will easily group a 150 grain Nosler Partition in 1" all with stock parts.
Can't imagine the same outfit in .308 or 30.06 would add much weight or otherwise if he wanted something with some more oomph.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
get him a Tikka t3 superlight . Around 6 ounces or so heavier than a TI or a 84L (if I remember right). And they shoot , can be found for around $700 bucks used. Cant go wrong. Spend the savings on bullets and shoot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If a Nula is the goal, find a Colt ultra light rifle for around $500. and as money permits have Melvin turn it into a Nula.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Mel is a good dude. My .308 is built on his on his action with Jarrett doing the rest on it. My bolt came unsoldered prior to my sheep hunt last August. I sent it back to him and he took care of me promptly.

Unfortunately, my brother-in-law is on a budget. Otherwise, we'd probably go Kimber Mountain Ascent and not look back.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just to throw a wrench into the discussion, you MIGHT be able to get one of the new Weatherby Vanguard S2 Back Country rifles for close to $1,000. Weight is 6 3/4 lbs., which is a bit heavier than some, but with that tradeoff there's much to like, most notably a 24 in. fluted, Cerakoted barrel and action -- and superb accuracy. I reviewed one when they were first announced and it shot so well I could not bring myself to send it back. Here's a link if you're interested (2 parts):

http://www.gunworld.com/the-bearable-lightness-weatherby-part-i/

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friend has a Colt Light Rifle he picked up in .30-06 for $450. Shoots fine as is.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Tanner
Handing a new guy a semi-lightweight 300 Mag as his first hunting rifle is beyond dumb.

Tanner

+1

Id say a Kimber Montana 7mm-08 or a Remington mountain rifle also in 7mm-08 would be hard to beat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, laker.... I just set up a faux-T.i. 7/08 and it's become my favorite rifle by quite a bit.

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BCJR
get him a Tikka t3 superlight . Around 6 ounces or so heavier than a TI or a 84L (if I remember right). And they shoot , can be found for around $700 bucks used. Cant go wrong. Spend the savings on bullets and shoot.

6# 11.7oz in 308 with X-low Talleys and a 2.5x8 Leupold. That is what is listed with an empty mag and no sling yet. I plan to whittle on the stock some and get a Kampfeld flute job on the bolt.

If that ain't light enough for you, maybe you need to buy a good Pendlay barbell first.

Bear in mind those little gay-assed dumbells that Zero was waving around in his "workout vid" awhile back are each likely heavier than said T3 Superlight.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

6# 11.7oz in 308 with X-low Talleys and a 2.5x8 Leupold. That is what is listed with an empty mag and no sling yet. I plan to whittle on the stock some and get a Kampfeld flute job on the bolt.

If that ain't light enough for you, maybe you need to buy a good Pendlay barbell first.

Bear in mind those little gay-assed dumbells that Zero was waving around in his "workout vid" awhile back are each likely heavier than said T3 Superlight.

Roger that , and like others have said , magnum+super lightweight=bad

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kscowboy01:

I wouldn't put much faith in those who say "the only one" or "the best". There are lots of good choices that will work just as well as others. I recommend that you continue to do research and comparison shopping before you make a final decision and lay out hard ca$h.

I also suggest that you should weigh the features and cost of the Thompson Center "Venture" along with the others that you consider. They are not pretty but they are lighter than a lot of other rifles, reliable, durable and guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box. You can find them on the retail market for less than $500 and one will last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

I hunt elk in Colorado with a T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 using 180 grain Nosler partitions hand loaded to perform like a .300 magnum (62 grains RL22, 2,880 fps). I think that the middle calibers, anything from as small as .270 to as big as .338 magnum will work for North American big game hunting. Any legal caliber will kill a big game animal with proper bullet placement but nothing will work right with bad bullet placement.

IMHO the Leupold VX-3 is the best value scope on the market. You can spend a lot more on a rifle scope but you can't get a better scope at any price. You can spend less, but you'll get less.

BTW I wouldn't buy a used rifle. If someone is selling a rifle, there's a reason. Are you a skilled gunsmith who can evaluate the condition of a used firearm? If not, you should buy only new.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I spend A LOT of time with a Pendlay bar (and bumpers)....but I still like mine less than 6.5 scoped. Must be my fragile frame....

To the OP, Kimber Montana is the way to fly. I'd go short action but some want more. The 8400 in a WSM would be my focus if I wanted more.

Forbes is another option. Just got my hands on a 20B but haven't spent enough time with it to say good or bad. I can say, just from a quick caress, I like it enough to consider one a gamble worth taking and if it didn't perform or was lacking I'd send it to Mr. Forbes for a barrel/bed/paint to have a NULA on the cheap.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
He is likely going to use my sister's .270 this season if we don't round something up in the interim.

Now be careful! She may never get it back from him after he knocks down a big 350" 6X6 with one shot from that .270 and he drinks the coolaid!

God Bless America!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you can't carry a 9 pound rifle up a mountain, keep your fat ass off the mountain.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Kimber Montana....mine is a 308....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If you can't carry a 9 pound rifle up a mountain, keep your fat ass off the mountain.

Says the guy from Texas that takes his ATV hunting to Colorado and admits he rides it off trail...

Last edited by iddave; 09/26/14.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by justin10mm

That's probably the most ignorant statement I've seen here in a while. And that's saying something.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Reading this thread reminds me that "mountain rifles" have lost a pound or two since the days when JOC popularized the rifle and the term; or when Elgin Gates hunted up to 16,-17,000 feet in the Pamirs of Central Asia with a 300 Weatherby Magnum that must have weighed all of 8.5#s.Warren Page's 7mm Mashburn,Old Betsy,weighed "....an ounce over 8 pounds, scoped, slung, and loaded...".

Back then (in the dreaded days of blued steel and walnut) the target weight for a 270 or 280 (scoped) was about 8 pounds although some weighed a bit less.

Of course the people of those days did not have access to the technology we enjoy today,so made do with what they had and who knows what they'd carry today?. I do recall one Asian sheep hunter who felt that, when dealing with the huge, windswept basins of Asia, a guy was nuts to lug anything less than a 300 magnum of reasonable weight....that's how they dealt with distance and wind in those days.I bet a long shot would be easier to make with such a rifle than some of the anorexic designs out there today.

These guys were real trophy hunters of mountain game in some of the world's remotest areas,and their lifetime accumulation of exotic mountain game they made would make the bags of most of today's hunters look mundane by comparison.

There is no real reason to carry more than you need to up a mountain, but if you have a rifle weighing 7-8 pounds all up,you should be good to go. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/26/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a little Kimber Montana in .308 used off of her for less than $900 shipped to my FFL up here in Alaska. Got it for my wife to match the Kimber Montana in .308 I have. It shoots Nosler Custom factory 165 accubond loads inside .75" (granted only 3 shot groups) from her driving it from the bench....which is better than I can do with mine (mine averages just over 1" which is still plenty good for me as its strictly a hunting rifle and I don't shoot at long distances).

So keep an eye on the used market, there are gems to be found no doubt, but the Kimber Montana 84Ms can be trimmed to 5 pounds even (before scope and rings of course) with just about $150 which gets you sub 6 pounds all up easily if just using Talley rings and a standard VX-2 3-9X40 scope. Not a super flashy setup as some like but it works and a joy to carry no doubt.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (160user, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.