-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently traded into a Win 70 Ultimate Shadow, mine is in 25wssm for open country deer and high country cougar. Will hunt it this year, so yet to be proven, but I am impressed with the weight and handling. If you know the 70 action you might have him give it a look.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Anything up to approx 7.5lbs (w/scope) is a pretty good mtn rifle for the hills.

That's about as accurately & as simply as it can be stated.

Pick whatever caliber spins your prop & you can handle, but 7-08 to 30'06 class rounds are plenty up to ((including moose) what can get ugly & bite back.

MM

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One each mountain rifle. Only mod is the aluminum trigger guard. I have a Ti bolt handle for it, just have not figured out how to get the current one off. VX-2 3-9 w/CDS shooting either 160 TTSXs at 3020, or this year, 210 Partition at ~2600.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Anything up to approx 7.5lbs (w/scope) is a pretty good mtn rifle for the hills.

That's about as accurately & as simply as it can be stated.

Pick whatever caliber spins your prop & you can handle, but 7-08 to 30'06 class rounds are plenty up to ((including moose) what can get ugly & bite back.

MM

No thanks.
When I think "mountain rifle", anything over the six pound range is a poseur.
That isn't to say that there aren't some really fine lighter-weight guns out there, but for putting major boot-leather miles in really high country, I want a rifle
around 5+ pounds naked, 6.5 pounds and lighter with a fine lightweight eyeball on it.
To each his own, they say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I agree that a <6.5 lb scoped rifle is best, I've hunted with heavy barreled, heavy stocked magnums that weighed 9.5-10 lb & in that light, a 7.5 lb unit is a dream & is easily attainable today.

I have a 6.3 lb SA rifle & a 7.0 lb LA rifle, both with identical scopes & mounts; it's easy to feel the difference.

MM

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I guess it depends on how you do your mountain hunting. A kimber wsm will be 7-7.5lbs, depending on how you scope it. No flies on that rig for mountain hunting. The last thing I want in mountain terrain is a lightweight, compact eyeball.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it depends on how you do your mountain hunting. A kimber wsm will be 7-7.5lbs, depending on how you scope it. No flies on that rig for mountain hunting. The last thing I want in mountain terrain is a lightweight, compact eyeball.

Hey, haul away. If you dig carrying 7.5 pounds, more power to you. My
last scoped nula was close to 5.5lbs., to me that is an optimal MR.
And I never said " compact", but a lightweight quality scope is exactly what I want.
An oversized objective isn't necessary high above treeline, light transmission is usually not an issue.
Clarity, durability, and lightweight is where it is at unless a guy is into extreme long range shooting, which I am not. I'm not hiking in 20 miles to take a shot longer than 250 yards...just personal preference.
I've been blessed (and lucky) with a scrap book and room full of sheep, goats and high country moose.

Tough to beat a Vx-3 2.5-8x36mm or a leupy 6x36mm on a 5 pound Kimber, Nula or forbes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you feel a need to pack around heavy glass, the best place to put that weight is in your spotting scope & bino's.

You give up nothing going with a Leupy 2.5 - 8 or something in that weight / quality range.

Making the shot is easy, not so much finding the animal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I fully agree with you on the 7.5 lbs. rifle being about the perfect balance of light weight and shootability. 7-8 lbs scoped, loaded, slung, and ready to hunt is what I like. Get much lighter and it's tough to shoot well when the heart is pumping or the position is less than rock steady, get much over that weight and it's not much fun to pack.

Funny thing.....someone a long time ago came up with very similar criteria. I believe his friends called him Jack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7.5lbs. should make for an ideal balanced package, but we're talking mountains, and mountains means ultralight to some.

Been reading some Jack O. lately, Jack was old school and personified practicality, gotta love the .270...
He died in '78 before the age of "edge" and "poundr" innovation, but me thinks he would have embraced the accuracy, and featherweight technology these things offer.
Would he opt to carry 6.5lbs rather then 7.5 in the really high country? Heck yeah, I think so, but we'll never know.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Gotta go with Jack on the .270 for mountain game.

I think he would have liked the new Forbes 24B in .270. I find it better balanced than the Pre-64 Model 70 lightweight he made famous.

Much depends on where that weight is. No point in packing a heavier action or scope than is necessary. I am happy with a bit of extra weight in the barrel though.

Did some side by side position shooting with the Kimber 84m 7-08 and Forbes 24B in .270. For me, the Forbes is easier to control as the weight is further forward.

Sold the Kimber & kept the Forbes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KC
kscowboy01:

I wouldn't put much faith in those who say "the only one" or "the best". There are lots of good choices that will work just as well as others. I recommend that you continue to do research and comparison shopping before you make a final decision and lay out hard ca$h.

I also suggest that you should weigh the features and cost of the Thompson Center "Venture" along with the others that you consider. They are not pretty but they are lighter than a lot of other rifles, reliable, durable and guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box. You can find them on the retail market for less than $500 and one will last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

I hunt elk in Colorado with a T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 using 180 grain Nosler partitions hand loaded to perform like a .300 magnum (62 grains RL22, 2,880 fps). I think that the middle calibers, anything from as small as .270 to as big as .338 magnum will work for North American big game hunting. Any legal caliber will kill a big game animal with proper bullet placement but nothing will work right with bad bullet placement.

IMHO the Leupold VX-3 is the best value scope on the market. You can spend a lot more on a rifle scope but you can't get a better scope at any price. You can spend less, but you'll get less.

BTW I wouldn't buy a used rifle. If someone is selling a rifle, there's a reason. Are you a skilled gunsmith who can evaluate the condition of a used firearm? If not, you should buy only new.

KC

Wow, just wow. I have a lot of scopes and there are definitely better scopes than a VX3! They may be a pretty good scope in that $500 price range and they do have great eye relief but there are much better scopes! Much better!

As far as selling rifles. I have bought and sold a couple dozen rifles and NONE of them were because something was wrong with them! Either I needed cash, safe room or just didn't like the rifle. I bought a new Hawkeye in 257 Roberts and shot like 10 rounds through it. I decided I would never carry it on a hunt so I sold it here in the fire- it was basically brand new.

I sold an "ULA" as well that I got from Mule Deer only because I hate fire-forming 257 brass. I could go on.

As far as muzzle brakes (not B R E A K S) I would only put on on a rifle that I was to let my enemy shoot. Who has time to stuff ear plugs in when the deer pops up in front of you?? Same reason I don't handgun hunt.

Muzzle brakes are for prone rifles that have little or no opportunity to be used in haste.

A Tikka in 7-08 is a great little elk rifle. A Tikka in 300 Mag is no fun to shoot. I don't see the point in a rifle that isn't designed for long range stuff anyway!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
dennisinaz, I would agree that a Tikka or other rifles in 7-08 would be a great rifle for elk. My brother has one that I've shot many times and would love to own. But, I will have to disagree with your thoughts on a 300 Win Mag. Mine is a light weight Browning X-Bolt and while it is not particularly fun to shoot more that 10 or 12 rounds from the bench, it is one sweet round for larger game a distances longer than I'm willing to shoot. When I draw down on a deer or hog, I never notice much difference from my other rifles. Mine is going elk hunting in CO once again this year

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by broomd
7.5lbs. should make for an ideal balanced package, but we're talking mountains, and mountains means ultralight to some.

Been reading some Jack O. lately, Jack was old school and personified practicality, gotta love the .270...
He died in '78 before the age of "edge" and "poundr" innovation, but me thinks he would have embraced the accuracy, and featherweight technology these things offer.
Would he opt to carry 6.5lbs rather then 7.5 in the really high country? Heck yeah, I think so, but we'll never know.

I figure he'd like the light weight, but would not have liked the synthetic stocks.

I'll bet he'd have liked a Kimber 84L in 270 or 280AI,Select Grade, but like you said we'll never know smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/10/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm pretty sure he would've gone with a synthetic-stocked NULA in .260, with a 23" barrel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
One each mountain rifle. Only mod is the aluminum trigger guard. I have a Ti bolt handle for it, just have not figured out how to get the current one off.

Wrap something thick and soft, a thick piece of leather works great, around the ball head. Lock a set of vice grips down tight and twist it off. Lefty loosy.

Place some lock tight on the Ti bolt and screw it in.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm pretty sure he would've gone with a synthetic-stocked NULA in .260, with a 23" barrel.

He said somewhere in his writings that he hoped it never happened, but he could foresee the day when all rifle stocks were made of synthetics...he loved wood. smile

I doubt the 260 would have excited him much.The 6.5x55 was around back then and he showed little interest in it in his writings. He liked the 7x57,hunted with it,starting way back in the 30's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I doubt the 260 would have excited him much.

Oh, I'm sure it would. Heck, I even know which scope he'd put on it. Same one I chose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WBY ULW 30-06 5 3/4 LBS

Molan Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's naked, correct?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.