Print Thread
Hop To
B
BluMtn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
When the Vortex brand first came out I was looking to upgrade binos to a higher power and better glass. Called Doug at Cameraland and in the course of our conversation he told me about a new company called Vortex and that they were introducing a 12x50 Razor binocular. They were offering an introductory deal on them to get them out in the market. So I ordered a pair and have been very happy with them. I have carried them almost daily since. Fast forward to this summer and while out looking for coyotes one day with some friends I dropped my binos. No big deal except the drop was a little over 300' and hit a gravel pad. when I picked them up I was actually impressed that they still worked, but had landed on the corner bending them and the focus wheel would not work any more. When I returned home I contacted Vortex and explained what happened and how impressed I was at how well the binos had come out of it. I had also bought several scopes from them over the years because I liked them and the warranty. I was told to send them in and they would look at them. Received a call from CS and was advised that replacements would be shipped out. Since this model was not in production anymore would I be updated to the HDs? I was informed that no I would not be that they kept some old models around that had either been returned and inspected and found to be ok or had been used for testing. So in a week I received my replacement Razor which turned out to be older that the pair I sent in. I understand that Vortex lived up to there warranty claim exactly as they said they would, so I can not complain about that, but I have sold all my Vortex scopes and replaced them with other brands and decided that I will now replace my binoculars. I like the 12x50 format and wanted to stay with that power. Looked at all the reviews and I could go top drawer and get it over with or look for a sleeper and get a good deal on some glass that was not as expensive. Started the search and after about two months of searching found this pair of Swarovskis in 12x50 ELs that were classified as used but had never been used for a very good deal. Almost one of those to good to be true deals that caused me great concern when I sent the check. After 5 nights of lost sleep the box showed up with the 12x50s in the box better than described. So now that I have babbled this long I will say this now that all the observations made from here on out are mine and mine alone. You can decide for yourself if they are of any value to you. The first thing I noticed when removing the swaros from the case is they are lighter than my razors. The controls on the swaros are smooth and buttery. On my second pair of razors the controls are stiffer than what they were on my first pair. The first pair of razors I had the controls were just as smooth as the swaros. I am still in the field doing field work so I go to work before light and have been getting home in the dark so all my testing is done from the tractor seat. Wed. we had a half moon and looking through both binos at 5:30 I could make out a herd of deer on the hillside about 300 yards away. I could also tell with both sets that there were 3 bucks in the herd, but the thing I noticed with the swaros over the vortex was that the images were sharper. The best way I can describe the difference is the vortex is like looking through a dirty pair of glasses and the swaros are like looking at something with a pair of fresh young eyes and no glasses. As the day progressed I continued to make observations and acouple miles away they are building a new windmill farm. I sat there and looked through both sets of binos and I could make out guys walking around the cranes and vehicles moving around but the big difference in the binoculars is the swarovskis have a sharper image. The vortex see everthing the swaros do but the swaros have a sharper image. I was making an opening round and there is a tree culture with a large stand of trees that the deer like to hang out in during the heat of the day. I stopped and glassed the trees at about 200 yards and found 6 bucks laying in the trees watching me. With the vortex I had no problem seeing them and identifying them, with the swarovskis I could identify them but I could make out their eyes and could also make out the hair on there hides while they were laying in the shadows of the trees. Friday night I was at a football game and took both pairs with me and I realize 12x50s are a little to big to take to a ball game I wanted to see what the difference was under the lights. With the razors there was a slight glare while looking on the field and the closer to the lights I got the worse the glare got. The swarovskis I could look at the players on the field without any glare and could look at the light and see the fixtures mounted on the poles. Again this are my personal observations and would I have been happy with the razors having never bought the swarovskis. Yes, but now that I have the swaros I am extremely happy that I did.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a new pair of EL 10X42 SV, and based on what I see through mine, I believe you're spot on in your observations.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would mirror the following sentiment but with a bit of an explanation. The new Vortex Razor HDs are getting closer and closer to the level of optical quality that the big three top tier manufacturers are.

People with good eyes(young without astigmatism or corrections) find the vortex as good as Zeiss, Swaro or Leica. The Vortex HD 12X50 Razors are very close to the 12X50EL SV Swarovskis. I would argue that for resolution that they are very close. The 12X50s HD Razors are lighter but they still are solid enough that you can control hand shake.

I have the new Razor 12X50 HD and I can honestly say that they are good enough that I am not going to buy the 10X50ELs. They are close. So close that you can actually have them run against each other. The Vortex optical quality has crept up. Last fall, I compared the Vortex Razor HD 10X42 vs. Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 and the Zeiss could just barely beat them. This year's Vortex Razors are actually better than last years. They beat the Conquest 10X42HD in the same dollar bill visual test(identification of the sec of treasury signature at 26yards). The Razors actually cost more than the Zeiss Conquest HDs and note that eyes are very individual things. Some people's eyes like different optics.

Vortex is starting to sell a lot of binoculars and spotters. Not just the diamondback and viper line but a lot of Razors. You get very high quality glass for about half of what the SFs, HTs, UltraHD+ or SVs run for. The big three and Nikon are taking notice. Nikon now has a very good warranty. The big three have upped their game with the creation of even higher quality top tier glass.

I may sound like a Vortex fanboy but I am not. I have top glass by everybody except Nikon.

The Swarovski's have one advantage and its up to the hunter if they want to spring the extra cash for it. They have superb eye relief. The elements of eye relief on the Swarovski are fantastic. Optical quality and image is incredible. One thing that the Swaros also have is that they are soft on the eyes. This means that you can sit behind them for hours without very much eye strain-its not just due to the eye relief but the overall optic design allows them to have a comfort level that is greater than the greats of the past like the Zeiss 10X40s or the Leupold Gold Ring 10X42 binoculars. The pocket CL10X25 have absolute incredible eye relief and could replace many full size binoculars- they are that good.

People who are even just thinking about upping their optics and are into this conversation need to go down to a Swaro dealer and buy top quality glass while the 65 year anniversary special is still going on. They are selling Swaro at almost cost. It is a very close to once in a lifetime deal. Doug at Cameraland NY is also a swaro dealer. Call him. You will thank me later.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know where the fanboy deal comes from, but it annoys the f%$k out of me. Your point is valid, and if you like something you like it. I also own and like Vortex, and I will never apologize to anyone for stating my preference or fondness for a brand.

Originally Posted by kaboku68

I may sound like a Vortex fanboy but I am not. I have top glass by everybody except Nikon.

Last edited by bh46118; 09/21/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This weekend we compared my cousins new 12x50 Vortex Viper HD against my new Swarovski 10x42 SLC's in woods low and normal light and at a mile or so later in the day. The vortex are very nice binoculars as the extra 2x made the very comparable at long range. In lower light and closer the Swarovski really is sharper and clearer with a lot more detail.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Vortex are pretty good but they are not Swaros. You spend a little money to get that last edge.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.