Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9199237 09/23/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about giving one another whirl if I can find what I want. Do the 455's have the same high bolt lift that the 452's had/have? Has anyone tried threading a barrel into the 455?

thanks
gjh

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think this is your best bet for a barrel.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

I think the lift is the same. It has not been a hindrance to me.I have not mounted a scope and needed it higher than I wanted because of the bolt lift. I own 453's and 452's. I highly recommend a 453 if you can find one.

The CZ forum at www.rimfirecentral.com is very active and informative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best place to find out about anything CZ is on the CZ forum on Rim Fire Central.

I'm not sure why you'd want to thread a 455 when there are so many 452s and 453s still out there, which are generally a bit more desireable IMHO due to the presence of 2 locking lugs AND the barrel attachment. The big draw of the 455 is the multi-caliber capability. I bought a 455 .22mag and added an LR barrel. Nice rifle, but accuracy was only so-so and I had feeding issues with the LR. Both of those problems could likely have been addressed by judicious application of a torque driver and a little twiddling of the magazine retainer, but for me that takes it out of the "easy swap" category. Others may feel differently. I bought a 453 .22LR and am pretty satisfied overall.

The other reason to consider a 455 is that you can easily replace the factory barrel with a high-end tube from Shilen etc. That makes more sense to me, except that you will be getting pretty close price-wise to a good, used, Annie, Cooper, or Kimber. Think carefully before you start buying stuff, lest you end up spending a lot of money and still end up less than happy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'm not sure why you'd want to thread a 455 when there are so many 452s and 453s still out there,

Not that many ... only thing that really interests me is a 453 Varmint. Had the 452 and didn't care for the barrel screw.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about the Varmint model, but the 453 American is pretty loosey-goosey in the action screw department. When I got mine, the barrel would bounce against the forend when I shook the rifle a bit. I shimmed it just behind the forend tip with a piece of clear plastic. Shoots good with ammo it likes.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a 453 "Varmint" .22 rimfire brand new several years ago, had my gunsmith pillar-bed the action and re-float the heavy barrel... and tested it for accuracy by shooting a ton of ammo through it only to be somewhat disappointed in it's accuracy.

I tested over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire and found it shoots Wolf Match/Target pretty good... a �-inch, 5-shot group at 50 yards off a solid bench-rest using a heavy Lyman aluminum rife rest + sandbags under the forearm and a pair of sandbags at the toe of the butt with the butt pulled back solidly against my shoulder and doing the "breathing thing", using a good 4-12x40 A/0 scope set on 12x... shooting fairly well, but not as good as I expected it to shoot.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe so... I dunno.

It will put 3 or 4 shots into one smallish, ragged hole @ 50 yards, then I'll get a "flyer" that opens up the group to a half inch or a little more.

I began weighing each round and measuring the overall length to try to get ammo of the same weight and length to use in shooting each 5-shot group, but this still happens... so it ends up with me doing a LOT of extra 'work" and not getting any measurable results from doing it.

I'm SURE it's NOT "me" as I have a rock-solid "rest" and use the single-set trigger adjusted almost as "light" as possible, but I've found that this happens often with .22 rimfire ammo since the factories are "pounding-out" the ammo as fast as they can load it working 24/7/365. This doesn't lead to totally accurate ammo... even in the "match" ammo.

I haven't tried any Tenex or that really expensive .22 rimfire ammo since I'm not "into" paying that much per shot in a .22 rimfire rifle... and maybe my "frugal" outlook is the "problem", eh? grin

If this "ammo shortage" ever gets "fixed", I may try some of that "expensive stuff" to see if my little CZ453 "has it" or not.

Anybody got any other "ideas" that might prove useful?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing I can think of is the firing pin spring.
I've seen it before where an inconsistent strike causes similar problems.
I believe it is C&H or something like that who offers a nice spring that people have been happy with.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron T
What you describe is exactly what happens with the less expensive ammo. That's why in serious matches, Tenex and R50 are top choices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt if Eley or RWS are "pounding out" their top match ammo. There's a reason it costs what it does. The question is, are you willing to pay the price for what they provide and can your rifle take real advantage of it. There's a lot of "match" ammo out there that is pretty good, but can't compare to the real stuff.

What I use runs about 8 bucks a box, and it's worth it for hunting. While I may pop for a couple boxes of Tenex someday for fun, it's too pricey for general paper punching.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I also doubt that RWS or Eley are "pounding out" their more expensive ammo.

What I was referring to is that most of the brands I tried seem to be getting "sloppy" in the manufacturing efforts.

I originally wrote in my initial post on this thread, "30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo"... when, in fact it was actually 32 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo.

What I consistently found was a wide variation in the overall length and as well as a considerable variation in total loaded cartridge weight in all of the brands/types of ammo I tried (some cheap, some not-so-cheap).

Naturally, I've am aware that EITHER of these "variations" creates an accuracy issue, but I was surprise to find what-I-consider obvious "flaws" in EVERY brand/type of ammo that I tried.

Wolf Match/Target had the "least" of such "flaws", but still... it had almost as many "issues" as some of the better "cheaper" ammo I tried.

I suppose I could "lay" some of this to my inexperience in size of the 5-shot groups a truly "very accurate" .22 rimfire rifle like my CZ453 is capable of shooting, but I frankly expected "more" out of the supposedly "decent quality" name-brand ammo I purchased for this "test".

With my hand-loads, my Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI") with it's short, light 20-inch barrel and an after-market Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger I had my gunsmith install has fired 3-shot groups that measures as small as .176-inches and my heavy-barreled Sako varmint rifle in .222 Remington has shot a single 5-shot group under 1/10th of an inch (actually .0911") and consistently shoots 5-shot groups under .20-inches off the bench using a 24X scope.

I supposed I expected "more" out of a .22 rimfire with a heavy 20-inch barrel and a "factory" single-set trigger which my CZ453 "Varmint" model has... but I didn't expect such a wide variation in quality control of the ammo.

Of course, I'm still "fiddling" with the in/lb settings on the two receive screws on the CZ453... but since they are pillar-bedded, I don't expect much will change regardless of how tight or how loose I have the 2 receiver screws set.

Frankly, I expected the CZ453 to "out-shoot" my heavy-barreled Sako varmint rifle, butttttt... that just isn't happening. Of course, my bullet and cartridge case weight is extremely consistent as is the depth at which the bullet is set in the "accurized" Winchester cartridge cases.

It is obvious to me that the current state of "quality control" is relatively low with most U.S. rimfire ammo manufacturers... and, frankly, this FACT was very disappointing to learn.

That said, I thank you helpful gentlemen for sharing your thoughts and comments with me. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ron, how many of those 32 types were higher quality SV target ammo? I only shoot about 5-7 different grades or brands of good target ammo but they all group considerably better than any HV ammo or the cheap Remington or Winchester target ammo.

I usually shoot Wolf MT or Eley club for most informal targets and SK subsonic HP is my favorite hunting load. SK match plus shoots very well also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron I'm surprised your 453, being bedded, doesn't impress. Considering the amount of various ammo you've tried its a shame you didn't find a few batches that work. I have a CZ 453 american that has only been glass bedded and SV cci and wolf match win consistently. HV stuff winchester bulk and cci mini mags are excellent as well.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
R.H. ....

No... it was a "mix" of many different kinds and types of .22 ammo... and my purpose was to find a "bargain" ammo that shot well in the CZ453.

When a "bet" is "on", I shoot the Wolf M/T as well... and it's gotten me a few Mt. Dews as "prizes" in the friendly, informal "matches" I've shot against good friends and their "Annie's" or Winchester 52's at the Club.

However, for just general paper-punching on a relaxing afternoon of shooting, I would prefer NOT to spend even the cost of Wolf M/T ammo for such shooting. Yet, I am having "trouble" accepting the relative inaccuracy of most standard velocity .22 rimfire ammo.

With the price of powder and bullets going up... UP... UP, I was hoping to be able to shoot fairly accurately and economically with the CZ453 & rimfire ammo, but that didn't happen to the extent I expected it to happen.

Of course, at least part of my "problem" is my age... i.e., when I began reloading at age 23, a 1,000 center-fire rifle primers were $4.00 and a 25 lb bag of chilled shot (for trap and skeet shooting) was $1.25.

The first pound of powder I bought was also $1.25... and now, some reloader's rifle or pistol powders are 20 times that cost !~!~!

Did I mention that a box of very accurate .22 rimfire ammo was just 40� a box (50 rounds) for HV Long Rifle Hollow-Points I used for squirrel and rabbit hunting?!?

Yes, admittedly, that was over 60+ years ago... but it doesn't SEEM that long ago in my memory. And the years have passed quickly since... trust me. smile

� As� es la vida ! ("Such is life!") wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Woodson...

I just re-checked my targets from all my tests and found that Fiocchi M320 Match shot pretty well. In the test target I have here, five 5-shot groups averaged .4487-inchs with a low of .329-inches and a high of .5465-inches. fired on October 9, 2008.

On the same type of target set-up I always shoot using the same Fiocchi ammo, I noticed another, smaller 4-shot group that measured .245-inches, but a single "flyer" in that group took that 5-shot group out to .386-inces.

I also found a target I shot on August 5, 2009 that had a 5-shot group using Wolf M/T ammo that measured just .150-inches with another group on the same paper plate that measures even less for 4 shots (didn't put the electronic calipers on it), but there was that one "flyer" I mentioned in a previous post that I often saw with other brands of ammo that "blew" the group out to about .500-inches. Not "bad", but not "great" either.

I had forgotten how well the Fiocchi M320 Match ammo shot, but then, I have also forgotten how much it cost as well.

When I measure a group, I use my electronic calipers and measure the total group size, edge-to-edge, and get that measurement, then subtract the bullet diameter from that figure which yields the actual total 5-shot group size (as if measured center-to-center on the bullet holes), but with extreme accuracy since "guessing" where the center of a bullet hole is doesn't add-up to yielding the most accurate measurement of the actual group size.

I put five 1�-inch diameter bright orange target-pasters on a white 9-inch paper plate and tape that plate up on the target-board as my "target". With the scope set on 12x and any parallax adjusted-out with the A/O (Adjustable Objective turret), the pasters are easy to see... no problem.

"Life's" too short to worry about this... so I won't even though I'd like to get those groups sizes "down" using reasonably priced ammo... but that "dream" is fading fast!!! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
people really do 'save' targets?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, Huntsman...

I do when I'm testing something. That way, I can go back if some new information shows up and re-check my thinking by re-checking the groups sizes and if the situation warrants it, the chronographed muzzle-velocity as well.

Saving targets also helps me to remember what amount of what powder and the other components I used to obtain that group. This was always helpful since the vast majority of my shooting was with center-fire rifles and handguns, not rimfire "stuff".

Thus, just as in this case, I was able to go back 6 years and make comments on the ammo, the group size, etc. that I shot that October day in 2008.

Naturally, I do not keep all my targets... only the ones I'm using for various tests I make. And on those I keep, I even make a notation of the wind's speed and direction... and the day's temperature if it is significant or might affect the results of that particular test.

As an example, I have a good many different targets (paper plates, actually) I shot when doing my tests with various brands and types of center-fire rifle primers for various calibers ranging from .222 Remington (my varmint rifle) to .338 Win. Magnum (my elk, moose & grizzly bear rifle).

In tests with my Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage caliber, I found that the standard Winchester large rifle primer gave me the best 3-shot group accuracy (.191 inches) and the 3rd best muzzle velocity (2635 fps) with a maximum deviation of just 3 fps (+1 fps/-2 fps) which definitely contributes to superior accuracy.

That's why they keep "record books", my friend... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.