Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone make them, and how?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yeah, and I could tell you how I do it. Sadly, I'd have to kill you afterwards. shocked

Sam......

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well, I've heard of, "To die for", I'll just take your word for it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone make them, and how?

I make 'em once in a while... and there's not a whole lot to it.

You bake a potato until fully cooked. I like to smear either butter or vegetable oil all over the outside of the whole potato so the skin get kinda crispy when the potato is done.

Once it is baked, hold the potato on-edge so that each half will lay flat after being cut in half... then cut the potato in half and scoop out the "inners" with a teaspoon, mash it up with a fork or if you like "creamy" potatoes, use a mixer with milk and butter in the potatoes as if you're making creamy mashed potatoes. I just use a fork.

Mince some onion and add it along with some finely chopped or shredded Velveeta or, if you prefer, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a little salt and freshly-ground black pepper and mix well.

Add this mixture back into the crispy potato skins, make a slight groove in the top of the potato mixture and add a bit more cheese into that groove, put under the broiler and broil under the cheese melts (which happens rather quickly-this is considered "the second baking", i.e., "twice-baked" potatoes), remove from the oven and serve.

If you "whip" the potatoes, let the broiler "crisp-up" the upper edges of the whipped potatoes for an improved taste (to me, at least).

If you wanna get a little more "fancy", add some dried or fresh chives to the mixture & mix well... for color and a little extra onion-flavor.

I hope this is of help you... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could make a meal out of twice baked potato's and often do.

My method is pretty close to Ron's (with sharp cheddar) but I use green onions diced really fine and add some cooked and diced bacon, a little butter, and some sour cream. I also sprinkle a little Cajun seasoning on top before broiling.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cream cheese....cream cheese

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Cream cheese....cream cheese

I wouldn't be opposed to that. ^^^^

I recently tried my hand at making Pimento Cheese from a few recipes posted here. Out of three I tried the one with cream cheese and sour cream beat out the two with mayo. I also started putting it in chowder after trying MadDog's recipe.
Good stuff!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

My method is pretty close to Ron's (with sharp cheddar) but I use green onions diced really fine and add some cooked and diced bacon, a little butter, and some sour cream. I also sprinkle a little Cajun seasoning on top before broiling.

Crisp bits of bacon... YUM !~!~! I'll give that a "try" for sure!!!

I didn't post it, but I add a little Frank's Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce to the mixed potato "innards" before putting 'em back in the potato shell. It adds a little "spice-to-life", don't cha know? grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
This is almost as good:

Bake your potato wrapping it in foil so the skin doesn't get to crispy. When done and still hot, unwrap and slice into half inch thick wedges almost all the way through with a sharp knife. Drop sour cream and crispy bacon between the wedges and cover with a couple slices of Colby Jack cheese. Throw it back in the oven and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Crisp bits of bacon... YUM !~!~! I'll give that a "try" for sure!!!

I didn't post it, but I add a little Frank's Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce to the mixed potato "innards" before putting 'em back in the potato shell. It adds a little "spice-to-life", don't cha know? grin

Yea,,, that'll work too. I buy Franks by the pallet.
I just use the Cajun seasoning because it looks like Paprika. Makes people think I actually know how to cook.
And yes on the "crisp" bacon.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh YEAHHHHHH... that Cajun seasoning adds a bit of color AND a lusty, spicy flavor as well.

Hmmmmmmm... not a bad idea...! Ya know, between us, we could make one-heck-of-a-twice-bake potato, compadre!!! grin

I've often thought of, but never tried, shallots rather than onions in twice-baked potatoes. But usually, when I decide to make twice-baked potatoes, I don't have any shallots on hand and I hate to go to the supermarket just for one or two items due to the long lines and the vast areas one must travel in these super-stores.

Of course, your scallions (green onions) taste very similar to shallots... perhaps what one might call scallions is a more "mild" version of shallots, but without the slight "garlic" flavor as well as the "onion" flavor.

Regardless... twice-baked potatoes are always a "treat"... and always DE-licious !!! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T

Regardless... twice-baked potatoes are always a "treat"... and always DE-licious !!! grin

Yea buddy! ^^^^

Matter of fact, this thread's got me jones'in for a big ol 2b-potato with a side of creamed corn. mmmmm!

Next trip to town a couple of big bakers is definitely on the shopping list.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm baking a couple of potatoes to twice bake right now.
They were washed and scrubbed rubbed with olive oil and pricked with a fork so they won't explode.
When they are done, I'll cut them in half spoon out the insides into a bowl. They will be buttered seasoned with creole seasoning. Chopped green onions, chives and sour cream mixed in.
Skins will be filled crumbled bacon goes on top and shredded cheddar. They will go back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I'm baking a couple of potatoes to twice bake right now.
They were washed and scrubbed rubbed with olive oil and pricked with a fork so they won't explode.
When they are done, I'll cut them in half spoon out the insides into a bowl. They will be buttered seasoned with creole seasoning. Chopped green onions, chives and sour cream mixed in.
Skins will be filled crumbled bacon goes on top and shredded cheddar. They will go back in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

Perfect!
What times dinner?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
horseradish.....it just goes with taters. None of that creamy stuff either.

Course ground and the warmer the better......but it doesn't take much, once again one of those "what am I tasting here"

Unless you like horseradish......then pile it on.

Last edited by bubbajay; 09/25/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love twice baked potatoes. Some mighty good recipes here. My wife will put a bit of fresh broccoli in them, along with the other goodies. Tastes very good.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
590 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.