Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I handled several (right handed) Forbes a couple of months ago at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. 3 out of the 5 on the rack had noticeable issues. On one, all the bolt heads were completely rusted. Another had a two tone finish on the barrel, went from gloss to matte about half way down. Another had the stock touching the side of the barrel. On all 5 the stock inleting around the safety was about twice the size as you would expect.

I hope those who ordered get a nice one but it seems very hit or miss.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figure if the rifle is not right, back it goes. But they are charging a lot of money for a hit or miss rifle.

Melvin must be pretty frustrated with them. His standards and theirs seem to be far apart.

Steve

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, they are wearing his last name. How can he allow it to continue?

One would think the CLR fiasco was enough....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is that in the past, they did not know their ass from third base for building rifles. But the worst of it is that they were blaming the customer.

My, and our standards, are on a different planet from them.

But, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the rifle I ordered and that they get their act together. I hope they deserve the benefit of the doubt I'm willing to give to them. We'll see.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut back on the Fritos and just order a damn NULA, I've had enough.

Winchester, Kimber,Forbes, Get Bent.

Gap's non-typical always caught my attention, time to stimulate the economy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have one NULA, pretty danged happy with that lil rifle

too bad Melvin let him use his name, at least with the Colt fiasco it was the Colt name that ended up tasting like chit

these guys building the Forbes rifle don't exactly inspire much in the way of confidence based on the reports on this forum. Pity that

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just cancelled my order for a LH Forbes rifle. Was told today, only after I asked, that there would be another delay. Originally, delivery was due last Spring.

So, I've already lost a year of hunting with the rifle, and I leave for Wyoming in two weeks from today for deer, antelope and elk.

Delivery delays, shoddy workmanship and poor customer service are the reasons for my decision.

But I do hope they eventually get things worked out. If they do, I'll consider buying a Forbes again.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strange,,,,

Forbes just called me minutes ago, offered me a LH .270 that someone had just cancelled out.

Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to help, and hope it works out for you.

Steve

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Strange,,,,

Forbes just called me minutes ago, offered me a LH .270 that someone had just cancelled out.

Thanks!

When were you promised delivery of the rifle and for what price?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Just cancelled my order for a LH Forbes rifle. Was told today, only after I asked, that there would be another delay. Originally, delivery was due last Spring.

So, I've already lost a year of hunting with the rifle, and I leave for Wyoming in two weeks from today for deer, antelope and elk.

Delivery delays, shoddy workmanship and poor customer service are the reasons for my decision.
But I do hope they eventually get things worked out. If they do, I'll consider buying a Forbes again
Steve

Man, that really stinks.

Fwiw...There are no less than 26 Forbes righties on gunbroker right now. Can't understand what the h*ll they are thinking there. They'd likely have every left handed rifle sold if they went to work on them...Obviously with some emphasis on quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Strange,,,,

Thanks!

It will be here last week, or possibly even earlier than that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Strange,,,,

Thanks!

It will be here last week, or possibly even earlier than that.

Now that is just downright funny!! Glad to see some humor can come out of a disappointing situation.

Steve

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ejo
I handled several (right handed) Forbes a couple of months ago at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. 3 out of the 5 on the rack had noticeable issues. On one, all the bolt heads were completely rusted. Another had a two tone finish on the barrel, went from gloss to matte about half way down. Another had the stock touching the side of the barrel. On all 5 the stock inleting around the safety was about twice the size as you would expect.

I hope those who ordered get a nice one but it seems very hit or miss.

Hopefully it was touching evenly along the full length bedded barrel... wink

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It looked like the inletting was off. Stock was pressed tight to one side with a gap on the other.

A left handed Ruger American would be a better option than waiting for one of these.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ejo,
That was my thinking, and the Ruger costs about one third the cost of a Forbes.

That, along with promised delivery dates that were all missed, and no telling when I would get the rifle.

Not a hard call to make.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 09/25/14.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.