Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've got to say that if I owned a spread, and got a note from a total stranger telling me he'd post my land, "patrol" it, and keep people out, it would not sit well.

Not to mention the fact that by accepting his offer I would essentially be making the total stranger my agent and thereby exposing myself to all liabilities resulting from his actions.

yah think......

Obviously, yes he does.

we need a sarcasm font

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by safariman
The thread about deer camp being near and upon us reminded me of what I and my huting friends do to keep, and sometimes gain for the first time, access to private land to hunt upon.

Maybe these will assist some of you, and if YOU have ideas or tactics that have worked for you, gaining hunting access where you live, PLEASE add them here!

Out here in SE Washingtons arid Mule Deer country, one needs to have access to many hundred of acres of land (thousands of acres is better) to have a place to hunt. Most of the land owned around here is measured in hundreds of acres or more so buying a hunting camp plot is out of the question for us middle class folks.

My methods HAVE, however, worked to get us a couple of smaller plots to hunt ducks and pheasant on in the rare wet spots near here. I absolutely LOVE having small farm ponds and creeks to hunt on. Or at least I did when I was more able to utilize them.

These ideas possibly would be less effective in highly populated areas, or areas with great demand for highly sought after animals, but out here in rural SouthEastern WA this method has worked pretty well for us. I am putting it here in case it helps a member or two to gain access to some good places to hunt.

If you live in WA state or wish to hunt here, please be a good sportsman and do not copycat my idea for trying to gain access on the land in between (North of) Clyde and the Snake River as this is the stomping grounds I and my family and buddies have hunted for 31 years now. Bad manners to use my method to try to bump me/us out of our long hunted area. If you want to hunt in this region, I am most happy to help you find some other good spots nearby, and, being retired, I can even look up and send you some landowners names and addresses. Happy to do it and help you out, no cost of course.

We in our small band of hunters take up a collection between ourselves each late summer, and I handle the details from there. We set aside some of the moeny for buying steel T Posts, cement, gate building posts and chains and no tresspassing signs, 2x4 and 4x4 treated wood posts for building or repairing water guzzlers, salt and mineral blocks etc but MOST of the money is used to purchase generous gift cards and or gifts for the landowners who have allowed us access in the past, and smaller gifts and gift cards for propery owners who have not allowed permission in the past, YET! grin

Here is the rest of my plan, in case my ideas help someone else here gain access to a piece of land to hunt on.....

Most of the CRP and wheat land around here is owned by folks several states away or at least on the wet opposite and populated side of the state.

I contact these folks by looking them up in the county records, and in my letter (sent priority mail in a large flat envelope to look and feel more important) I offer in writing that my hunting group will 1) post - at our expense- and patrol the land, keeping large vehicles from driving cross country right across everything 2) build and or keep in good repair the water guzzlers (needed out in this arid region) that all of the wildlife uses or any other habitat improvement the landowner would like to see done and 3) treat the land with great care. This year, we included a couple of small gifts with the permission request letters for the first time, so I am hoping for a little bit better response. The only letter I was able to deliver in person to a landowner who lives in town here was well recieved, and permission was granted. My buddies and I are having a work day on Tuesday to post up this new to us property and look it over a little.

I hope my idea is found useful to someone here. It has kept our little band of brothers in great deer hunting territory for the past several decades. Good luck and good hunting! MARK

PS: Please post up your thoughts here, and more importantly, YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read on here.

I can't read his posts , the stupid hurts.. But did he tell the landowners of all his ailments, and that he's easily the biggest guy in his quartet ? Or that he shoots an Ubermag?

if that won't get a guy one private , nothing will.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
How many hours a day do you think safariman sits on his computer sending PMs to work his cons? I'm sure he sucked at least 2-3 guys into PM conversations with this post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
How many hours a day do you think safariman sits on his computer sending PMs to work his cons? I'm sure he sucked at least 2-3 guys into PM conversations with this post.

I'd guess you could see when and how often he is online, but the odds are pretty high that he spends most of every day coming up with or working a scam.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd guess you could see when and how often he is online, but the odds are pretty high that he spends most of every day coming up with or working a scam.

reminds me of the M*A*S*H episode when Colonel Potter says of Klinger something to the effect of he can't help himself, wheeling and dealing are in his blood.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

reminds me of the M*A*S*H episode when Colonel Potter says of Klinger something to the effect of he can't help himself, wheeling and dealing are in his blood.

At least Klinger was honest about who and what he was. He didn't try to cover it in a "genuine, authentic, the one-and-only (reproduction available today) Shroud of Torin. Yes, and it can be yours with all the Salvation that comes with it in every thread, for the low, low price of $19.95 (all sales final, no refunds, no exchanges)"

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you patrol these lands, and keep large vehicles from driving cross country across everything, would that include the uberlanche?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guy, why the [bleep] do you throw yourself in the pit like this? Ive never seen someone enjoy getting their ass whooped so much before. (shaking head in disbelief)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1) this is just the internet 2) Illegitimae Non Carbeurundeum 3) here, I was merely wanting to start an idea sharing thread with a method that was working for me and has been for some time. This was supposed to spark some brainstorming and learning how other people in different regions manage to hunt on private lands.

For the scoffers, I just this evening met with a landowner who is letting me and my friends hunt his place for the very first time. Gave us written permission and a detailed, with contours, map of his place.

It might be more appropriate to ask the folks who have shown thier colors as negative, thread hijacking scab pickers why THEY did this to a thread that was intended to be helpful to others and possibly of use?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the scoffers, I just this evening met with a landowner who is letting me and my friends hunt his place for the very first time. Gave us written permission and a detailed, with contours, map of his place.

It might be more appropriate to ask the folks who have shown thier colors as negative, thread hijacking scab pickers why THEY did this to a thread that was intended to be helpful to others and possibly
of use?

I think it would be more appropriate to ask yourself why you think anyone would care what YOU do?

What is "helpful" about you tellng us you lease land to hunt on, an pretending no one would think of it on their own?

(And having to start two identical threads)

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1) this is just the internet 2) Illegitimae Non Carbeurundeum 3) here, I was merely wanting to start an idea sharing thread with a method that was working for me and has been for some time. This was supposed to spark some brainstorming and learning how other people in different regions manage to hunt on private lands.

It might be more appropriate to ask the folks who have shown thier colors as negative, thread hijacking scab pickers why THEY did this to a thread that was intended to be helpful to others and possibly of use?

Did you scam them on an anuity also?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Once again, it's your delivery/style that brings out the negativity in otherwise good people.

Why would you feel the need to give people here a lecture on sportsmanship? And, how many lessons and examples are needed on your miserable prose before that finally sinks in?

Good god man, a first grader has better cognitive skills. smirk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I can't speak for the others, but like I said, your entire approach would rub me wrong and you'd end up without a reply to your "official-looking" letter. Getting one of those in the mail would render your objective dead on arrival. So would telling me you'd post and "patrol" MY land.

So I'm just trying to be helpful by letting others know that your approach has the potential to put people off.

As far as what works, start with your state's district or regional wildlife managers; most states have them assigned to specific regions. Before you approach them do your homework and let them know you have; don't just call up and ask "where can I hunt?" Try to build a rapport with them because they know where the game is, they know who might give you access, and they know which places definitely won't give you access. That saves a lot of time right there. They can also tell you what time of year is best to approach landowners if they're ranchers and are really busy at certain times.

If the district managers like you and your approach, they'll share information, if they don't they won't. With this information you'll be making inquiries in person or by phone to people who are pre-disposed to give access.

It helps with the DM's if you can say you volunteer your time for their agency projects, I always manage to wedge that into the conversation and when they hear that most often you can feel their attitude change over the phone.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Smokepole,

That was some useful and helpful information. Also a good and fair critique of my writing style. Thank you.

MARK

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
PS having heard this from more than one person, obviously, this is something I have to try harder at working on. My intent was to be helpful and start a dialouge, but the delivery was lacking.

FWIW, I have now recieved two positive phone calls from landowners, and one has already provided a detailed map of his property and a written permission slip. My approach may not be 100% (what is) and some of you may be put off by such an approach, but it has worked well for me in that past and still is working.

Rather than bash what works for me, here, share what you think WOULD or HAS worked for you. Especially when the owners of the land live many states away like is the case thoughout much of my preffered area for hunting.

Anyone have a good idea to share about what works where you are?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, first thing, I wouldn't be a conniving POS.

You might try working on that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Smokepole, That was some useful and helpful information. Also a good and fair critique of my writing style.

That was not a critique of your writing style.

It was a critique of the content, not the way it was said.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Last edited by doubletap; 09/23/14.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.