Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
When you go to Carmel, make sure to go to Point Lobos State Natural Preserve. China Cove is beautiful.

Last edited by UPhiker; 09/23/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember that whale skull smile

Next time you go north over the Golden Gate, immediately take the first exit past the bridge, and you will go up the hill to the Marin Headlands. A couple miles up the winding road and you'll have a spectacular view of the bridge, and the city beyond it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hard to beat the beauty of the California north coast. Spent a lot of time up there growing up.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed. Northern CA is some of the most beautiful country I've seen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snyper
I should have known the Govt was stupid enough to have two with the same name

This is the one I know about:
http://www.bragg.army.mil/Pages/Default.aspx

Fort Bragg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bragg,_North_Carolina
Fort Bragg is a major United States Army installation, located in Cumberland, Hoke, Harnett and Moore counties, North Carolina,

That's the one for me too. Spent about two months or so at THE REAL Fort Bragg back in 67 for basic training.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ft. Bragg CA predates Ft. Bragg NC by about 60 years.

They are both named for the same Confederate general.

Derby Dood continues to be an idiot.

That's our history lesson for the day.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Ft. Bragg CA predates Ft. Bragg NC by about 60 years.

grin
Some people just don't wanna let Cali have anything..
To the people who have visited the fake Fort Bragg, it seemed pretty real and beautiful to us anyway..

Mack glad you enjoyed your trip north and continue to enjoy the abundance of beauty the state has to offer.. And Carmel stinks like money so be sure to wear your best grin

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Certifiable,

The picture of me in the tree is my best. Cargo shorts and t-shirt if they don't like it tough beans. I doubt I will be rubbing shoulders with any of the local rich folk anyway. If I get real fancy I may church it up with a polo shirt I guess, that should suitably impress them. LOL

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
awwwwww don't talk politics or mention anything positive about Oregon... and you'll be fine... they might not even notice you're from "out of town".....

Most Californians aren't all that bad... unless they are wearing Birkenstocks and Tie/Dye T Shirts...and smell like Burnt Rope all the time...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I did talk politics with an old hippie in Novato, imagine my surprise when he watched fox news and didn't vote for Obama. He came out in 67 to see Hendrix at the Monterrey Pop Festival and never left. Family was all ex-Navy and he was a pretty nice guy for looking like he stepped out of Woodstock.

I was truly shocked. LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
Most Californians aren't all that bad...

Seafire you feelin ok?? grin

All good Mack the attire is fine, just pullin your leg..
But seriously, don't get run over by a Bentley..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Right on the other side of those radar installations is where the legendary surf spot "Mavericks" is, when the conditions are right.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
[Linked Image]

Right on the other side of those radar installations is where the legendary surf spot "Mavericks" is, when the conditions are right.

That spot is right by half moon bay and is inaccessible overland. You use to be able to take the access road to the satellite antenna to the beach. They closed it off to increase the security around the antenna.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,

Thanks for sharing all those great pictures. It looks like you had a great weekend, and you are definitely getting your money's worth out of that rental car.

There aren't too many places in the country where a big guy like you can have his picture taken inside a tree.

I like your picture of a blacktail deer's black tail. As you saw the blacktails are smaller than mule deer.

That "Some kind of a squirrel" you saw is the notorious, Bubonic Plague carrying California Ground Squirrel. They will undermine old oak trees until they topple, undermine building foundations, and cause assorted other havoc like chewing into plastic irrigation pipes. Most ranchers hate them. They attract rattlesnakes, also.

In my area these ground squirrels are one of my primary targets of choice. This summer two friends and I have shot about 200 of them on three local ranches that invite us to shoot all we can.

Their population goes in cycles. There are more every year for seven to ten years, then the plague wipes 80% of them out and the population starts increasing all over again. Right now they seem to be about at the peak of their cycle.

The Department of Fish and Game encourages shooting them but officially states "Don't touch them with your bare hands" due to the plague. There was an article in our paper recently discussing that subject.

Enjoy the rest of your visit to the fullest, and keep the great pictures coming.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those flowers are called Naked Ladies, I have a yard full of them.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool photos!! I'd like to take my kids to glass beach.

Eric

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Jim,

Thanks for sharing all those great pictures. It looks like you had a great weekend, and you are definitely getting your money's worth out of that rental car.

There aren't too many places in the country where a big guy like you can have his picture taken inside a tree.

I like your picture of a blacktail deer's black tail. As you saw the blacktails are smaller than mule deer.

That "Some kind of a squirrel" you saw is the notorious, Bubonic Plague carrying California Ground Squirrel. They will undermine old oak trees until they topple, undermine building foundations, and cause assorted other havoc like chewing into plastic irrigation pipes. Most ranchers hate them. They attract rattlesnakes, also.

In my area these ground squirrels are one of my primary targets of choice. This summer two friends and I have shot about 200 of them on three local ranches that invite us to shoot all we can.

Their population goes in cycles. There are more every year for seven to ten years, then the plague wipes 80% of them out and the population starts increasing all over again. Right now they seem to be about at the peak of their cycle.

The Department of Fish and Game encourages shooting them but officially states "Don't touch them with your bare hands" due to the plague. There was an article in our paper recently discussing that subject.

Enjoy the rest of your visit to the fullest, and keep the great pictures coming.

There ya go Jim...if you can ever schedule another trip out this way, do it when the sage rats, aka ground squirrels are out... like March to July, early August up here in Oregon.... longer the further south ya go...

I shoot 5 to 6000 of them on a good season when I can 'get away'... no shortages of places to shoot them... one centerfires, a slow day is a couple of hundred of them....on a busy day if one is shooting a 10/22, 1000 plus rounds down range at them is not unusual....couple of summers ago, I was at one place I went thru 1100 rounds of 22 LR out of a 10/22 in under 3 hours...had six 25 round mags... load em up.... run right thru them, stop and load them up again with one of those quick load things and go at it again....

there was more opportunity, but I had the headache from hell due to scope squint....thru a 6 power Weaver....

When I was done, there was like 15 to 20 dead seagulls and magpies out there... but I have no idea where they came from...

had to be from that guy shooting that centerfire, a couple of fields over from me...

me or a batch of other forum members I am sure could set ya up and take ya out...no shortage of opportunity if you know where to go...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by Seafire
Most Californians aren't all that bad...

Seafire you feelin ok?? grin

All good Mack the attire is fine, just pullin your leg..
But seriously, don't get run over by a Bentley..

Sorry....my bad

I wasn't referring to you.... whistle

grin

and you won't have to worry about getting run over by a Bentley....

just stay off the sidewalks... you'll be fine...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim

When you go down to Carmel, be sure to take the "Seventeen-Mile Drive". The homes and views are incredible. Look closely and you will see Bentleys, Aston-Martins and Rolls Royces. The only BMWs and Mercedes that you will see are driven by the 16-year-old kids as their first car.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.