Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9199498 09/23/14
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I really like setters and labs, and we had one great chessie...

But we are currently without a bird dog of any sort, and are susceptible to jonesing whenever we see one...

[Linked Image]

We got acquainted with this one and her owner over the past few days.
Tried to lure her into the van with us when we left... grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You will never find a more loveable dog than a golden... Besure and get one from a reputable breeder... We have had 8 and all were wonderful.. I did have one from a puppy mill.. Sadly Joy did not live long, nor was she a great hunter... All the rest were both good to excellent hunters and wonderful friends.. These two are a current rulers of the house hold.. Peach the elder is 10, and Kate is 2.. Kate is Peaches' niece... You will love them, and they will adore you..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My family were lab breeders for 3 generations, When I lost my last lab I got into Springers and still have them to this day(9) generations of my own breeding program. Along the way I picked up a Golden bitch and 4 generations latter they are my waterfowl dog of choice. Here are a few I have been lucky enough to share my blind and my life with.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some terrific pics, and good looking dogs...

I don't know that I am seriously considering a golden. This is because field bred goldens are seemingly getting a bit hard to find...

The dog by the sailboat was a really cool dog, but I don't actually know that she came from field bred lines.

I've located what should be a good litter of chesapeakes, and 2 litters of labs that I know are from hunting stock.

I'm just not in a hurry to move as I am probably looking at my last set of bird dogs...
I intend to own another setter, and another retriever. I'd actually like to find a setter pup first, but they are thin in my area. Brittanies and Shorthairs are predominant amongst pointing dogs here.

Goldens are cool dogs, though. If I found a good litter close by, I'd have to consider them...

And hunter or no, the one in the sailboat pic would be welcome at my place anyday...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just so happen to have a field bred litter coming up in the late spring (mother nature willing)LOL

BORN to HUNT
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by johnw

I don't know that I am seriously considering a golden. This is because field bred goldens are seemingly getting a bit hard to find...

Looking at a breeder having some Top Brass or Frisbie in the lineage would be a good start.

smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
John, I got mine from a lady in northern Idaho... A thousand mile drive one way... And they are pricey, I will do it again, one more time.. I can give you the kennel name if you like.. But she is not cheap..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some pretty well bred Goldens around if you look. Mine are from multiple FC/AFC/CFC/MH bloodlines Good dogs are very seldom cheap but the purchase price is a small part of the expense, and you will have a good foundation to build on.

Sea Ducking

[Linked Image]

Cariboo, early season

[Linked Image]

Master Hunter in the making

[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Fox, beautiful photos.. They are awesome dogs... Born to hunt and love their family.. Lucky are those who share their life with goldens..

Molon Labe
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna try and check out the litter of Chessies tomorrow. Both litters of labs are closer to home, but my wife's all time favorite dog was our old chessie bitch, Rio.
She's jonesing for another one just like the last one...

Is it wrong to recycle a dog name after 25 years?

There's a farmer that I knew since I was 9 yrs old, and all of his dogs were named Tony. The farmer passed on a while back but his son farms the place and still calls his dog Tony...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
johnw, good luck with what ever you choose.. We all have our favorites.. I did recycle a name, but I doubt I ever do that again.. I think it was trying to get back what I had lost... But it might work fine for you..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
johnw, good luck with what ever you choose.. We all have our favorites.. I did recycle a name, but I doubt I ever do that again.. I think it was trying to get back what I had lost... But it might work fine for you..

I changed breeds completely when I lost my once in a lifetime Lab. I would have compared every other black dog to him, not fair on either of us. I also never recycle names it just wouldn't work for me.

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some great looking goldens!

But, the little river duck dog is my preference. smile

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Said it before and I'll say it again, Any dog that guards his partners Rum is OK by me.

BORN to HUNT
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
add, beautiful photos of a beautiful friend.. We just returned from grouse hunting.. Makes we wonder why I fool with big game, and not just bird hunt with my pals... Thanks

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nothing is prettier than a Golden making a retrieve. They know that they look good. I had a female as a kid that had to train herself. I would love to have another chance with her today now that I somewhat know what I am doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.