Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Quickie question for Model 70 guy. Not meaning to stir the pot. How many times have you hunted Africa?

The quickie answer would be 5 times; twice in South Africa, twice in Zimbabwe, and once in Mozambique.

The somewhat longer answer is that Africa is but one part of the world, and I've hunted 4 continents worth of it. This year focused mainly on Australia and my running total for this year is currently at 390 large animals, with the part that I consider most interesting being the 112 water buffalo that I shot on cull in the Northern Territory. That was quite an experience, and that particular opportunity would be hard to duplicate. Bear in mind that was one hunt this year and I've done 5 consecutive similar hunts. On the buffalo portion all shooting was done with a .458 including the incidentals.

My issue isn't what particular caliber someone recommends, as it would be hard to swing a dead cat in a gun-shop without knocking over several suitable plains game rifles. Its more the attitude that someone would presume to judge the abilities of someone he has never met before, and dictate what he is or isn't capable of.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Marius,

When I have a legal issue I ask a lawyer, a medical issue a doctor. Problem with the Bakkie a mechanic. A question about hunting I find an older wiser PH.

It's just common sense for me

That's fine when you seek out that advice. How about if you were just checking the air in your tires and the mechanic jumps in with opinions about what size, tread and inflation pressure you should be running, based on what the average guy needs. Are you still cheerful, or do you consider pointing out that it isn't your first truck, or tires and what you're doing has got you this far?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The answer your looking for is this - the PH is looking to see what the hunter is capable of doing, once he proves himself at the range the PH can get him on a great safari tailored for the hunter. He might only be capable to 50 yards or capable shot for 500. It do make a difference.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah , and he's going to judge that by watching you shoot at a cardboard box at 50 or 60. The same one that he will refuse to shoot at.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 10/02/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It your test to meet, not his. He has the ultimate responsibility to the game, the area, the game department - you are just a strap hanger along for the ride sucking the gravy. When it is over, you go home, he has to live with whatever happens.

If you have a problem with that, just how do you get along everyday? Do not be fooled, you are tested everyday your alive and squawking to one who doesn't know you about your experience, is part of the test, but the wrong answers come from it.

I'm out.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You were never in.

When I go home I will have paid for everything, any mistake, by me or him, every lost opportunity. He doesn't have to live with anything.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 10/02/14.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So, lets get back to the OP's question. I would take both the 7X57 and the 375HH� if it were me.

God Bless America!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well, for what's it worth: I took the 375 H&H and 30-06...both worked just fine...JMHO

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Taking both is logical.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Took both a .375 and a 7x57 on a plains game hunt. Twerent necessary but what the hell...it was fun! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Its important to have fun, or we wouldn't go in the first place.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CRS,Outstanding! ingwe, says the 300 H&H is "skookum"! cool

In Ingwe's eyes I have to do something to make up for my 270 passion.

To the original ?, I would take both.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 13 year old did pretty well with his 7x57 Walther Mauser and the 160 gr AB a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and I did well with a 7x57 and a 375 in 2012.

Regarding 300 magnums, the 300WBY is one of the hardest kicking rifles, esp the ?Mark V.

My 300HH, on the other hand, truly is a joy to shoot.

Ymmv

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Brian (OP):

Lots of opinions and I'll add mine, but want to ask you one question. Do you reload or plan to reload as this opens an entirely different world. But, based solely on your original premise of US deer and African PG and presuming you will get into reloading if not already doing so I would suggest the 375 H&H or 375 Ruger. Mostly because you can always load down but you can't always load up.

Just did a quick review of the Hodgdon Reloading Data web site for current data, the 7x57 max is a 170gr bullet at around 2300fps and the lightest bullet listed for the 375 H&H is a 200gr bullet at around 3000fps and the heaviest is a 300gr at 2650fps. Yes, there are some heavier weight bullets available for both, but I just wanted to use publicly published reference data.

Historically, the 7x57 has taken every animal in Africa including the "Big 5". However, under today's caliber, muzzle energy minimums/restrictions (including PG) in some countries and provinces in RSA, it may not be legal for all (biggest) of the PG species while the 375 H&H or Ruger, with appropriate loads, is legal for all PG and DG.

Then too, depending on where you hunt in the US the H&H with those 200gr maxed out is pretty damn flat shooting for use out west for pronghorn etc. Plus, if there is also the possibility of larger bodied game. elk, moose or bears in the US the H&H still would get the job done very well. If there is a possibility of hunting in the US for anything more than whitetail somewhere down the road a 375 might be the way to go.

Personally, eight trips to Namibia with the ninth planned for next year, all PG so far, and hoping to time things right if a PAC ele comes up - keep a bag packed for a short notice trip if my PH friend gets the green-light on one. We've used, 308 Win, 45-70/450 Marlin in lever and custom bolts in both, 375 H&H and 375 Ruger and once with 458 Win Mag. We (wife and I) have migrated to the 375 Ruger in the Alaskan configuration for the main reason outlined above i.e. moderate velocity 250-270gr loads for her keep the recoil level where she can shoot it all day at the range and I load some 235 TSX at 3000fps for long range baboons in the mountains and 270gr for everything else and a few max load 300gr solids for both of us just in case we get into trouble with ele in the area we hunt.

Biggest point to think about is to make 100% sure the caliber you are using is capable of meeting the muzzle energy minimums for the species you are hunting in the country or province you plan to hunt and to remember that calibers that might be legal for a "local" to use may not be legal for a "foreigner" to use. The last thing you would want to do is get caught in a Lacey Act violation as remote as that possibility might be.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
OMG
1. The 7x57 will easily move a 175 at 2600.
2. There is a lot of misinformation about muzzle energy and cartridge minimums in Namibia. The game ranches own the game and manage it. You can use darn near anything if you can shoot well.
3. A 375 will work if shot well but that amount of power is not needed if one can shoot well.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RinB
OMG
1. The 7x57 will easily move a 175 at 2600.
2. There is a lot of misinformation about muzzle energy and cartridge minimums in Namibia. The game ranches own the game and manage it. You can use darn near anything if you can shoot well.
3. A 375 will work if shot well but that amount of power is not needed if one can shoot well.

RinB:

Ref comment 1 above - I agree. What I was attempting to do was provide the OP with an easily referenced on-line source to compare the two calibers he was asking about. The current Hodgdons web site doesn't list a 175gr bullet for the 7x57 and it also doesn't list any of the 350gr bullets available for the 375 either.

Ref comment 3 above - I agree again and this is why I mentioned/asked if the OP was currently a reloader or would contemplate getting into reloading to maximize the potential up-loading as well as downloading for both.

Ref comment 2 above - I believe you are in error regarding the Namibian muzzle energy and caliber minimums for Namibia. Both have been established by Namibian Conservation Ordinance 4 of 1975 pg 36. and is still the current law. It also establishes the game "ownership" and surrounding hunting controls for game animals. It has only been amended one time (1996) but mostly changed govt administrative procedures, the hunting laws are still the same.

Here is a link to the Namibian MET web site Nambian MET Look down under the "Acts" section and look for "Nature Conservation Ordinance 4 of 1975" and just below that is the 1996 Amendment.

The extracted data is:
� Smallest caliber allowed 7 mm (.284).
� Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity)
� Big Game 5400 Joule (Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, etc.)
� Large Game 2700 Joule (Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Zebra, Burchell's Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Leopard, etc.)
� Medium to Small Game 1350 Joule (Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gray Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Faced Impala, Red Lechwe, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Black-Backed Jackal, Warthog, Cheetah, Nyala, Chacma Baboon, Game Birds, etc.)

I've taken the liberty to attached some file pages that have what I believe are the current caliber/MO minimums for several African countries. If any of this info is incorrect and someone can provide the actual source document/regulation I'll be happy to update the listing accordingly.

Attached Images
Rifle Minimums0001.png (41.42 KB, 74 downloads)
Rifle Minimums0002.png (56.96 KB, 57 downloads)
Rifle Minimums0003.png (23.22 KB, 427 downloads)
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by M3taco

Personally, eight trips to Namibia with the ninth planned for next year, all PG so far, and hoping to time things right if a PAC ele comes up - keep a bag packed for a short notice trip if my PH friend gets the green-light on one. We've used, 308 Win, 45-70/450 Marlin in lever and custom bolts in both, 375 H&H and 375 Ruger and once with 458 Win Mag. We (wife and I) have migrated to the 375 Ruger in the Alaskan configuration for the main reason outlined above i.e. moderate velocity 250-270gr loads for her keep the recoil level where she can shoot it all day at the range and I load some 235 TSX at 3000fps for long range baboons in the mountains and 270gr for everything else and a few max load 300gr solids for both of us just in case we get into trouble with ele in the area we hunt.

Whatever you show up with for caliber with Mike's friend, don't show up with a Blaser like I did.....I doubt I'd be welcomed back, even though mine went bang when I pulled the trigger. (Except when I forgot to chamber a round, DUH! LOL)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't feel too bad. This year he and I spent better than an hour stalking/crawling on our bellies to within 40yds of a nice old blue wildebeest. He had no clue we were there, full broadside. I'm sitting with a solid 3pt hold and leaning on the base of a small mopane tree....squeeze the trigger on my 450 and it just.....sneezes and the bullet hits the dirt halfway there....squib loaded one of my hand loads. Beasty just coughs and bounces away. Nobody to blame but me and great fun all the same. blush

Are you thinking of going back?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by M3taco

Are you thinking of going back?

LOL....I had a lucky Hyena get away.....CLICK when I should have had a bang.

Sure do like Namibia and I'll get back there again, had a good time and I still have unfinished business with hunting for Dik-Dik somewhere.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.