Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
M3
I am not going to get into a debate with you or the pages you cite. What I am trying to explain is that there is a gigantic gap between what is written and what actually takes place while hunting there.

When I was last in Zim I was offered the game rangers 338 to use on a problem elephant. I addition, a PH who worked there for years, encouraged his clients to use a 338 with 250 Nosler partitions on buff because he thought it worked better than a 375. I could go on but there is no point in doing so.

Lastly, the 270 Win is considered a 7mm in Namibia even though it is not a .284" bore diameter. At least that is what I was told by a number of folks who actually outfit there.

I was there as recently as 15 Sept and folks were shooting eland with a 25-06 camp rifle.

Last edited by RinB; 10/15/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
RinB:

Lots of folks don't follow the laws here in the US either. Question comes down to what happens IF someone gets caught and the possible penalties they could encounter in that country and then opening themselves up to additional US Lacey Act violations/prosecution.

"Locals" can often legally do things that foreign tourist hunter cannot. Examples. Namibia does not allow handguns to be temporarily imported into the county - therefore handgun "trophy hunting" is not allowed. However, if a "local" has a handgun permit they can use it to take "game animals" for food or to put down wounded or injured animals etc. Second example in Namibia I can give is a "foreign" tourist can temp import a semi-automatic rifle for competitive sanctioned shooting events, it is not legal for that same tourist to use that same rifle to hunt with. If a "local" has a permit and owns that same semi-automatic rifle they can use it to take animals for food or pest control etc.

What IF something goes wrong and the hunter and PH are "caught" violating a law or worse yet someone is injured or killed. Do you really thinks that same PH or Game Scout that KNOWINGLY put you and himself into that situation is suddenly going to now become a moral and ethical person and take full responsibility and potentially loose his license and livelihood or toss you under the bus. Bottom line is, either knowingly or unknowingly you still violated the law and are still subject to it and the associated penalties.

The laws are what they are and everyone has the free choice to follow them or not and live with the consequence if something goes wrong or they get caught. Imagine the sh#t storm that will happen if someone is injured or killed. Free choice.

Edited to add:

This can cut the other way too. How about a client who shows up with a rifle that he/she either knowingly or unknowingly is under a particular country's published standards/regulations. Then this client either asks, expects or demands the PH let him/her to use it anyway and flatly refuses to use a suitable/legal loaner rifle. This client is thereby directly putting the PH in the situation of putting his license/livelihood in jeopardy or walking away from the hunt completely and lost income.

Again, free choice by all parties but, why not just follow the published laws and be done with it. Lower risk and everybody wins or at least greatly reduces potential risks/problems for all.

Last edited by M3taco; 10/16/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Do you serious think any American is going to be prosecuted under the Lacey Act because they used an "illegal" cartridge to kill a kudu or buffalo?

Maybe you know of some such case. If so, I sure would like to hear about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mule Deer:

Do not have any personal knowledge of any such case that I can provide a name, date and details of. No more so than someone can claim there has never been any such prosecution be it locally within a given country or back in the US under Lacy - trying to prove a negative.

My only point is that the laws, agree with them or not, are on the books. Every hunter/client and PH/Outfitter has the right to choose to comply or not - it is their free choice to do so. As is commonly said, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" when/if someone gets caught.

Hope everyone chooses wisely but it all comes down to personal choice, personal hunting ethics and a willingness to accept the consequences for a poor choice - as remotely possible as they may seem to be.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about a couple of things.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mule Deer (John):

Just out of curiosity, what are your views on hunters traveling to foreign countries and complying/not complying with that countries hunting laws?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M3taco
Mule Deer:

Do not have any personal knowledge of any such case that I can provide a name, date and details of. No more so than someone can claim there has never been any such prosecution be it locally within a given country or back in the US under Lacy - trying to prove a negative.

My only point is that the laws, agree with them or not, are on the books. Every hunter/client and PH/Outfitter has the right to choose to comply or not - it is their free choice to do so. As is commonly said, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" when/if someone gets caught.

Hope everyone chooses wisely but it all comes down to personal choice, personal hunting ethics and a willingness to accept the consequences for a poor choice - as remotely possible as they may seem to be.

Personal knowledge of any such case that I can provide a name, date and details of;
I'm confused. Does this mean you've never heard of any such case or you don't have the name to the case?
As to ethics, if your PH is handing you a .243 after stumbling on a 60+" kudu or have a bongo 20 yards in front; you're not going to take that shot because you're holding a 243?
I would bet theres 1/2 dozen guys here that'd run them down with a dull knife much less a smaller caliber.

To the OP, I'd ask my PH which he has more ammo of and go with that, just in case the airlines perform their magic. Personally prefer the 375 H&H.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Richard:

�Does this mean you've never heard of any such case or you don't have the name to the case?�

I have heard of several second, third and fourth hand �stories� of US guys getting caught violating RSA and NAM firearm caliber hunting limits. To the tellers� knowledge they just resulted in local fines or bribes and local confiscation of the trophy and meat. The tellers� didn�t relate if there was any US prosecution or not. Still doesn�t remove the �possibility� of it as remote or unlikely as it might seem. Just like I�ve heard �stories� of guys bribing game scouts in Zim because they shot and wounded buffalo and elephant and other assorted game that where never recovered so they could still fill their tag. Can I personally �verify� any of those stories, no.

Or a story about a PH that offered 100% guaranteed success on leopard hunts. His racket supposedly was that he would live trap leopard for the local cattle ranchers and moved them to holding pens. When a �client� showed up he�d make a big show of baiting and sitting in blinds for a few days and then near the end of the �hunt� he would tell his workers to go drug a cat and have it laying in the sun high up on a kopje or tree limb they had been baiting at a specific time. PH and �client� would just happen to drive by this area a little bit after this specified time and the PH would just happen to �spot the cat asleep� and the client should shoot it right away. How the �cat got out of the bag� so to speak was the PH got drunk at a public event and started bragging about how stupid his last �client� (American) was. He said the cat was set up high on a kopje with his head and front quarters showing. They drive by, he tells the client to hurry up and shoot before his leopard gets away. The client cleanly misses the cat with his first two shots, one over his head and the other the rock directly under and he finally hits it with his third. Did I see this actual event happen? No. Did I hear this first hand from the PH�s mouth? No. Did it actually truly happen? You decide.

Just above a poster says he was in ZIM and was offered the game rangers 338 for a PAC elephant and was recently in Namibia and hunters were shooting eland with a 25-06 camp rifle. Did I personally see it, no. Does that mean it didn�t happen just as he describes? No. Are either of these examples in compliance with the respective countries published game laws? I don�t believe so. Do I personally care what they did or didn�t do? No. Their choices and actions are their responsibility and none of my concern.

To your second question regarding ethics and 60� kudu and bongo me holding a .243. Short answer is no. Primary reason is I've already taken a 60" kudu in 100% compliance with the Namibian game laws. PM me with your email address and I'll email you a photo along with a copy of the Namibian Fields Gold Medal cert with the measurement. Second, you might think I splitting hairs and that is fine, but you didn�t say what country I was in and while it may not make a difference to others it does to me. So, kudu � IF I was in NAM, ZIM, or RSA me personally no. Other countries maybe depending on distance and shot angle and bullet type (cup & core or TSX). Bongo � Since you didn�t specify the county and since they are normally �found� in central African countries and the only ones I have info on I�ve posted above, my response would be ETH yes, and I don�t know into which class they specifically fall in CAR and I have no idea what the hunting laws are in DRC or any of the other countries they �normally� are found. In those, if I was going to hunt in those countries I would try to do some research on the laws before hand and hopefully have the conversation/email exchange with my PH regarding the laws before I got there. Last though on the point � I�m not sure I would personally take a .243 at all. If there is a possibility of any kind of DG in the area I personally would take a rifle of .375 larger anyway so the odds of me personally even having a .243 in my hands is nil.

I posted my opinion, I provided a summery sheet of the various countries that I had info on and I provided a hard link directly to the Namibian MET web site so everyone could read the laws directly for themselves. I can also prove a copy of the current RSA Norms & Standards for hunting in pdf format and probably find the link directly to the RSA govt website I pulled them from when they were officially published in 2011. I have those documents and links to those two countries because that is where I have hunted in the past and intend to continue hunting in the future.

I�ve posted the info for those whom may not even be aware regulations even exist. What �actually goes on� in each country, I really don�t care nor have any control over. My hunting ethics are mine and mine alone. I don�t really care if anybody else agrees with me or not. I really don�t care if anybody else makes a personal choice to follow the laws of a foreign country they are hunting in or not. For those that might opine that a foreign countries hunting laws are inconsequential and can be either complied with or disregarded as they themselves or their PH see fit � fine. I would hope those same individuals will have the same views regarding foreign hunters coming here with the same attitude about personally deciding which of our hunting/game laws they decide to follow or not.

Last two comments I intend to make on this thread. My grandfather once told me when he first took me hunting at age 10. He said, �always remember, everything you have in your life can be taken away from you except one thing, your integrity. That you and you alone chose to loose.� The last is the old axiom that the definition of �character� is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Have I always lived up to those, no. Do I still try, yes. What everyone else does and the choices they make are on them.

To all, good hunting wherever you go and however you decide to it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.