-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The National Rifle Association has decided to not endorse in Alaska's U.S. Senate race, with a spokesman saying Wednesday that Democratic Sen. Mark Begich's support of two Supreme Court nominees opposed by the group cost him that endorsement.

The announcement came after the group's political arm reported in recent filings with the Federal Election Commission that it made ad buys in several prominent U.S. Senate races across the country, including Colorado and North Carolina.

In Alaska, the NRA gave Begich an A-minus rating and his Republican challenger Dan Sullivan an A-q. The "q'' means the grade is qualified because Sullivan has no voting record, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said. Grades in those cases are based, in part, on answers provided in questionnaires. Sullivan, a former state attorney general and Natural Resources commissioner, is making his first run for public office.

Arulanandam said Begich would have gotten a higher grade and the NRA's endorsement if he had not voted for President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominees, Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor. Both were opposed by the NRA.

On gun votes, Begich has stood with NRA members 100 percent of the time, Arulanandam said.

He noted, for example, that after a deadly school shooting in Connecticut, Begich did not bow to pressure, even from within his own party, to support tighter background checks for buyers and a ban on assault weapons. That legislation ultimately failed.

Begich said there should be a focus on improving mental health care rather than new gun control measures.

"That certainly didn't go unnoticed by gun owners all across the country," Arulanandam said.

Begich and Sullivan have both touted their support for the Second Amendment during the campaign. A new Sullivan ad features Elaina Spraker, who is identified as a firearms instructor and expresses frustration with Begich.

"How do you vote for Barack Obama's anti-gun judges and still say you support the Second Amendment?" she asks. The ad ends with a picture of Sullivan helping one of his daughters as she takes aim with a rifle.

"Dan Sullivan is proud to have the support of gun owners and NRA members from across Alaska who are fed up with Mark Begich's votes for President Obama's anti-gun judicial nominees," Sullivan spokesman Mike Anderson said in an emailed statement.

Begich countered that gun ownership in Alaska "means hunting to put food on the table, self-defense and recreation. One of the strongest differences between my opponent and me are our records, and my rating from the NRA reflects that."

In weighing judicial nominees, Begich said he always considers a broad set of issues, including Alaskans' right to privacy from government wiretapping and the need to protect the rights of Alaska's women.

At the time of Sotomayor's confirmation in 2009, Begich said he made clear Alaskans' strongly held views on the right to bear arms and said he was convinced she would not be an activist judge. In 2010, Begich made similar comments about Kagan.

The National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund has endorsed Republican U.S. Rep. Cory Gardner over Democratic Sen. Mark Udall in Colorado, and Republican Thom Tillis over Democratic Sen. Kay Hagan in North Carolina.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/9323601346cd4278ba39f87218b74938/AK--Senate-Alaska-Guns

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So the NRA again gives Bagitch an A-... PHUQUE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will never get another dime from me or another anything! I have been a Life or better for 40 years and have gotten completely disgusted by them. This is my final straw.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well now Dan has another booster in his corner - Ms. Senator Murkowski! I'm sure you're delighted to hear this as well. He already 'owes' her and he hasn't even made the cut yet. laugh (The ad was on the idiot lantern last eve,)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/25/14.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
NRA aparently forgot about Malarkey Mark's membership in Bloomburg's anti-gun club.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the two judges were not enough???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
NRA is missing Malarkey's dis-ingenuousness.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just sent another letter to the NRA and I doubt they will understand this time, either...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
cc Malarkey. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So the NRA again gives Bagitch an A-... PHUQUE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will never get another dime from me or another anything! I have been a Life or better for 40 years and have gotten completely disgusted by them. This is my final straw.

Amen to that!! How freaking stupid. I have had questions about the NRA for a long time and this settles it. Idiots.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And your alternative is?

Sure the game is a bit crooked.... but it's the only effective game in town.

If one only went along with perfect solutions, one would get left sucking left hind udder...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
las-
Is Malarkey Mark poplar in your AO?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Block vote - except for us politically undercover white boys.... smile

We gotta get us a secret handshake!

That SOB is goin down! I hope.

Last edited by las; 09/25/14.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sullivan is playing the game well I think; running his Native wife in some ads; running Lisa in some others. It seems those are both ways which should be effective in swaying the rural vote to some degree. And he's beating down Marky's negative stuff; I don't think going negative was a smart move for Beggy.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I really like the ads calling him Malarkey Mark.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Last time bagitch had an A- rating; Ted Stevens had an A+ rating.

Why didn't Stevens win?

This time bagitch gets no rating cause he pissed off the NRA.

If he wins lets wipe our asses with the NRA. Makes about as much sense.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last time he had an A- rating and this time he also has an A- rating... No, he did not get an endorsement this time, but most will fail to understand that when he touts his A- rating... as an rating like he did last time.

Sullivan gets the same rating as Markie, also. Last I knew Sullivan did not join the Mayors Against Guns, did not vote in favor of two extremely anti-gun SCOTUS judges, and did write the Amicus brief for AK on the Heller case.

In my opinion there is no comparison. I do not care if you give Sullivan a C as long as Markie gets an F. They do not both deserve the same grade...

As to the strength of the NRA... what good is unused power? If they came out as strongly as they should against Bagitch the odds of Markie winning would drop considerably.

If Bagitch goes back to DC the NRA has lost a tremendous opportunity to show its strength... And will look like morons for giving an A- to each of the two very different candidates.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the only ads bag-boy has that even comes close to Dan's, is the ad calling him a "women hater"(the ad of the chic who wants to kill babies) and increasing the SSN/age .....low info voters eat that stuff up .....Dan needs to drag out his wife's mom and dad smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
short and good read here ... comments are fun to .... http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/06/mark-begich-nra-gun-control-alaska/

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

597 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.