-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it on deer in the .308 Winchester and .300 Savage without complaints. It also shoots well in those rifles.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Nice buck ya got well done.
Gameking is a Boat tail, Pro-Hunter is a flat base. Only difference. IMO

On the Sierra website, some of the bullets descriptions include the term "tapered jacket", while others don't. I recently sectioned the empty jacket I found in a bag of 6mm 100gr PH blems and, as advertised, the jacket was noticeably thicker near the base. I have to assume the ones not so described are straight cup&core, if that matters to anyone.

.30 CALIBER/7.62MM (.308) 150 GR. SPT
The 150 grain #2130 has the Sierra's unique double-tapered hunting jacket that has been field proven under all conceivable conditions. The 150 grain #2130 bullet is best suited to medium game. This bullet is extremely accurate, providing an undeniable edge in the game fields. Reliable expansion and deep penetration blended with Sierra's classic Spitzer flatbase profile makes these the bullets of choice with many 30 caliber riflemen.

For handguns, Sierra's Pro-Hunter design is generally considered too "hard" for all but the most powerful of the 30 caliber handgun cartridges. Handguns chambered for the 308 Winchester cartridge or cartridges of similar size can use these bullets over maximum hunting loads at short range. Due to their flat base design.

.30 CALIBER/7.62MM (.308) 150 GR. SBT
For rifles in 30 caliber, this bullet was designed for medium- to long-range hunting with cartridges having medium to large case capacities for powder. These bullets often display match grade accuracy from accurate hunting rifles. The famous Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail shape assures flat trajectory, excellent resistance to crosswinds and vertical winds, and maximum energy delivery to the target. Good penetration and expansion are characteristic of these bullets even at the reduced impact velocities at long range. With the weight range available, at least one of these bullets will prove ideal for almost any 30 caliber cartridge. The 150 grain #2125 bullet is best suited to medium game at all velocity levels.

In handguns chambering 30 caliber cartridges, prior to the introduction of the Remington Model XP-100 (and similar handgun designs) utilizing larger rifle cartridges, the usefulness of these bullets was limited. Now, these bullets have a very definite niche as superbly accurate hunting bullets. Previously considered "too hard" for expansion, they perform well at the 2500 fps muzzle velocities achievable in the 308 Winchester and larger cartridges. Ease of loading and precise concentricity contributes to their excellent accuracy. Sierra's Spitzer Boat Tail design assures flat trajectory and high energy delivery downrange with low sensitivity to crosswinds and vertical winds. These bullets are suitable for varmints through large game at all ranges a prudent handgunner would normally attempt.

Swifty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EZEARL
I had thought about that 125gr bullet but don't know what it's terminal effects are. I'm one that wants to "eat up to the hole".

The 125 should work OK. I have a very light weight '06 Husky that I use 130 gr. Hornady with near perfect performance on WT's. Nice entrance, nice exit with blood pouring from both holes and a bunch of lung/heart damage in between. DRT.

Between the 150 Pro Hunter and Game King, flat base vs. boat tail, I'd let the rifle decide. Some guns don't like BT's as much as FB bullets.

I think difference in performance on game would be subtle.

DF

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
That's good to know. That light a bullet at a moderate velocity in that short bbl'd S&W would make for a fun gun to hunt.

You don't want know what a 150 Sierra BT starting at 3370 does to a deer at about 60yds.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I shot quite a few deer with my old 06 and 150 gr. Sierra FB.. It was a deadly deer bullet.. I even shot an elk or two with they out of the .300.. A bomb there.. I would think in a .308 it would be perfect..

Molon Labe
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Right on.

I shot a total of two deer with that 150gr load. Gave the box of remaining bullets to a friend with a .308.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, 125-130's at 3K perform differently than at 3,300+ fps, for sure. I've seen that, shooting otherwise good .243 bullets in the .240... blush

And with 150's, you're down around 2,800-2,900 or so, even less splash for the cash... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Passport, I haven't used that combo, but can't see why it wouldn't work well on our deer.

I've had good results with a 120 gr. Pro-Hunter at around 3K MV from my 7-08 and with the 100 gr from my .243. I don't see what you're doing as much different.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For whatever reason I just haven't been able to get the accuracy I'm accustomed to from my last couple of boxes of 150 grain Interlocks. So I'm about to hit the range with some Game Kings and Pro Hunters.

There may be some Sierra'd deer this year. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
For whatever reason I just haven't been able to get the accuracy I'm accustomed to from my last couple of boxes of 150 grain Interlocks. So I'm about to hit the range with some Game Kings and Pro Hunters.

Don't forget to sharpen your knife. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman

I've not been satisfied with groups I've shot with the Interlocks I've tried. I've not spent a lot of time with them as a result, not saying I couldn't get something working. Just moved on. Too many good bullets out there to choose from.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Biebs
They're almost embarrassingly cheap, but they work great!

oif topic a little bit....

but NO bullet is 'embarrassingly" cheap any more....

price is driven up and paid, due to the Obama Panic by the public...

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
NA they bounce off deer sides John. Ha need monometals to kill em these days.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Nthey bounce off deer sides John. Ha need monometals to kill em these days.

Right! And you cant gut em without an Ingram...

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by efw

The ways of the Campfire are strong with you young grasshopa.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by efw

I beg to differ on this point�I am able to gut them with a Randall�.. grin

Im sure it couldn't be done with an over the counter knife. wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Used the 100 gr Pro Hunter in my 25-06. Most consistently accurate bullet, by far, in my Remmy 700 Classic. Killed quite a few Whitetail, hogs and yotes them. Never lost an animal. They're not pretty, don't have a high BC, don't have a fancy plastic tip, etc..but they just frikken work. Great bullet!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.