Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BSA--thanks for posting this. Don't know how I missed it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem buddy. Hope it helps someone on the fence about glass bedding their own. Keep in mind this rifle shot extremely well when it was in its factory inletted stock so I used that knowledge and transferred that to the mcmillan. In all honesty, it probably would have shot lights out with a free floating barrel. But when you know something works, why change it??? I do have to say that 99% of my Winchester model 70's have free floating barrels. Part of me just wanted to prove a point with this one. Melvin Forbes FL beds his NULA's with ultimate success, why should this model 70 be any different? Thanks for the comments guys and good luck hunting this year!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, whatever you did with this one... keep doing it! wink

Eric

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always liked that rifle Eric. It's so consistently accurate, that I wondered if it had a national match barrel on it or something grin . It has one of the slickest actions on it too. I set that rifle up as a shooter, and that's exactly what it does. I'm glad you still like it and take care of it. It went to the perfect gentleman..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I always liked that rifle Eric. It's so consistently accurate, that I wondered if it had a national match barrel on it or something grin . It has one of the slickest actions on it too. I set that rifle up as a shooter, and that's exactly what it does. I'm glad you still like it and take care of it. It went to the perfect gentleman..

I hear you crying calm down take deep breaths..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not really, just stating simple facts. When you find a good shooting pre 64 like Eric's, you'll finally understand. Until then, just pretend your classics are good rifles wink laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not really, just stating simple facts. When you find a good shooting pre 64 like Eric's, you'll finally understand. Until then, just pretend your classics are good rifles wink laugh

Oh they are... You internet bully . Now stop crying you let a good shooter go and tighten up those chuck Connors shoe strings and go get them tiger!!!! I have pre 64 in a 264 sitting in the basement that [bleep] thing I tell you. You get over 2800 fps it patterns keep it below 2800 it shoots very well, you get case head seperation after 2-3 firings and the stock so warped it isn't funny. So I will stick to junk ass classics

Last edited by 79S; 09/24/14.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hope it helps someone on the fence about glass bedding their own.

Your bedding jobs look pretty darn good. It's not surprising the rifles shoot consistently.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned a lot from his bedding threads now I do it regularly my stuff not as nice as his but really helped with accuracy with my model 70. That pre 64 I mentioned I should have full length bedded it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, I pillar bedded Eric's rifle and free floated the barrel. No glass under the chamber either. The std wt's are a biotch to free float because of the dognot (sight boss). I also did the same thing with my 338 Alaskan. I delete the forend screw and epoxy a dummy screw in so it looks factory. That type of treatment is a lot more time consuming, but it works great on the pre 64's I've bedded that way.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, I'm going to have to dig up that thread where you showed how you bedded my rifle. cool

Eric

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BSA hi I was wondering how many coats of the case lube do you give the barreled action? I will be bedding a 1909 Mauser soon and want to do a good job on it. Thanks Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I use just Hornady one shot case lube, I spray it once, let it dry and then spray it again for a double coverage.. Good luck with your 1909 mauser bedding job..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
BSA, I'm going to have to dig up that thread where you showed how you bedded my rifle. cool

Eric

I don't think I had a bedding thread on your rifle. That was before I really started posting a lot on this subject here. Since I've gotten many pm's and responses about pictures I post showing my rifles bedding jobs, I feel like it is easier for me to just post the process and point a guy to the thread.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, last weekend I was finally able to get the new McMillan put on my Pre 64 Alaskan. I used Marine Tex in order to do the bedding. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it has been raining around here (finally).

Love the stock, Marine Tex works REALLY well, easy to use and seems to lay down very nicely. Need to detail clean the metal, but overall, I am very happy. Bedded the receiver and a few inches in front of the barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hoping to get out today if the weather holds to put a couple of shots through it to see how it works.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent Scotty. That rifle looks great. I also like the steel talleys and swaro on top. I'll bet it shoots just like it did when it was in the wood stock. Thanks for letting us know how the marine tex works. I'll get my hands on some of that and try it out one of these days. I'm also sending you those 225gr. hornadies today. Let us know how your rifle shoots!!

By the way, I'll be putting this together next week cool grin...:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy, but I've always loved the looks of this blue swirly.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks BSA. Came out decent. Had to open up the barrel channel some to make sure it floated correctly, seems like McMillan did their inletting for the barrel change with an axe...

The stock is good though. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it though. It is my favorite rifle, hoping this stock does it proud.

I love the wood on your 300.. That McMillan should be very nice though for wet weather. At least that is what I am betting on!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, yeah, Marine Tex. Very nice stuff. Works very easily, flows excellent (like smooth peanut butter) and seems to be good.

I used your method of waxing the stock and wiping down with waxxed q-tips. I have a little wax in the checkering still, but I imagine a little more clean up and use will get that taken care of.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looks Great Scotty! Can't wait to see the range reports.

BSA I have been using Marine Tex for about 10 years and it would take an act of God to get me to change. Just wish they made it in clear so I could use it on wood stocks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Use a stiff bristle toothbrush on the checkering to remove the wax. Rem oil also works great to remove the wax. I'll bet your rifle is going to shoot great. I have a good looking wood stock that I was going to offer up to you for your 338, but now it looks like you don't need it. I like the looks of your new stock. It looks much better than the dull grey micky your friend let you borrow.

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.