Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was looking on Armslist for guns in my home state, figuring if I found something I would just buy face to face after a drivers license check and possibly with a bill of sale.

I found a very nice shotgun at a great price. I contacted the guy and told him I would buy the gun if it was as he described and we could do a face to face. His first reply was that he didn't do face to face and asked if I had an FFL.

Sounded suspicious to me but I think maybe he is worried about getting robbed or something. My next reply was no problem, just name a local FFL and we can meet there. I'll pay for the unnecessary transfer and pay him cash in person.

His next reply is that he is located in Indiana and can only ship to an FFL. My next reply is why is his location listed as Alabama on Armslist and no problem, I can meet him at the FFL of his choice in Indiana.

Now, I don't plan on going to Indiana, but was interested in what he would reply.I also checked Indiana Armslist and there is no listing for his gun.

Is this simply a scam which I strongly suspect, or is there some possibility that there was a mistake about his location? Is there any safe way to do this deal? Possibly getting his local FFL to ship the gun and talking to that FFL to make sure he has the gun ready to ship before I send the money? I would call the place of business myself, not relying on his contact information.

Basically I think this is just a scam but how can someone protect themselves when doing transactions like this, so I will know for future reference?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/25/14.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
As you've already found out, if it sounds at all fishy, don't do it. Another red flag is when they refuse, for whatever reason, to talk with you on the phone. Another thing, if it seems like a really good deal, copy the ad details & run a Google search. It will frequently come up as being part of a completed Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, or Gunauction listing. They copy & paste the ad details, and even use the same pictures.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 09/25/14.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This. I had armslist deal where the guy in NV wouldn't send me the serial number or a picture with the serial number in it. He kept asking why I wanted it. I told him so I could verify that the gun shipped to my FFL as the correct firearm. He was unwilling so I told him I'd take a pass.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I watched armslist for a while and then dropped it totally. Won't trust it at all for something that's not face to face, and now I'm not even wanting to do a face to face.

It's a shame. All Armslist would have to do is similar to what gunbroker does, just make people confirm their identity with a credit card or some other method.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't used Armslist , but made a similar mistake on Midwest gun trader. Missed the State block option while listing and by default, my ad came up as Alabama. It's the first one in the list. In this case it may just be an honest mistake.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by driggy
I haven't used Armslist , but made a similar mistake on Midwest gun trader. Missed the State block option while listing and by default, my ad came up as Alabama. It's the first one in the list. In this case it may just be an honest mistake.

Thanks, I was wondering how that could happen.

Still I was looking for any reasonable ways to do a transaction and protect myself, such as my suggestion of contact through an FFL on his side. I didn't know if something like that sounded reasonable or not.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Basically I think this is just a scam but how can someone protect themselves when doing transactions like this, so I will know for future reference?

Well, if they start with, "Wanna trade some used motorcycle racing tires for your guns?", you may wanna think twice. grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have posted this before here numerous times.
I buy more guns on Armslist than any other site. Most likely because there are more guns there than any other site.
At least twice a week Armslist notifies ,VIA E Mail, that my inquiry has been a scam, I have already labeled it as such.
I have a list of questions for seller and phone conversation or 2.. or 3.In the event of a red flag have to be very careful.
I sometimes will travel across the country to be sure of seller and merchandise. However, most items are shipped.
I have never been burned and have a lot of good deals to show for my efforts.
Armslist is not for the pussies or novices.
I usually make a good judgement on the phone,
The one bad judgement I made was my deal with RH Clark. He did not have the balls to tell me he couldn't do the deal. I asked him to send payment to my wife and he said I changed the terms and he could not deal with me. He did not ask or say he would send payment to me.. But, luck was on my side as it turns out I didn't have to worry about him paying me.
RH Clark Armslist is not for you �.you do not have the wherewithal.
Now go ahead and look for like=minded nitwits to ask if you did" right".
If you gotta ask you will never know.
Go tend your trotline.
I do not hide behind the anonymity of the internet.
I will tell anybody face to face what I post.
I am:
Chuck Ellison
22620 Cottage Grove Ave,
Steger, ILL

708-638-3387

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought and sold many guns on armslist without any problems. The scams are usually easy to spot. One of the first clues is when they only list a state and not a city. Armslist was designed for local transactions. Face to face. Same as how the classifieds worked when we all read the paper.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best advice I can give is always meet face-to-face, deal in cash, carry concealed when you go, and use good judgement leading up to the transaction.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cisco1
I buy more guns on Armslist than any other site. Most likely because there are more guns there than any other site.
At least twice a week Armslist notifies ,VIA E Mail, that my inquiry has been a scam, I have already labeled it as such.
I have a list of questions for seller and phone conversation or 2.. or 3.In the event of a red flag have to be very careful.
I sometimes will travel across the country to be sure of seller and merchandise. However, most items are shipped.
The one bad judgement I made was my deal with RH Clark. He did not have the balls to tell me he couldn't do the deal. I asked him to send payment to my wife and he said I changed the terms and he could not deal with me. He did not ask or say he would send payment to me.. But, luck was on my side as it turns out I didn't have to worry about him paying me.
Go tend your trotline.
I am:
Chuck Ellison
22620 Cottage Grove Ave,
Steger, ILL

708-638-3387

Mr, Ellison
I've done everything I know to do in this situation with you. Money never changed hands and the only thing I did to you was not trusting you. I did get spooked when you wanted payment in your wife's name. I apologized for that.

You need to get over it and move on. Even when I backed out of the deal, we could have fixed things by talking it out but you immediately started calling me names. I really am sorry it worked out the way it did.

Since Mr Ellison has published his contact info already, I will now post our full correspondence for all to see my horrendous crimes against this man.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/viewmessage/message/641999/gonew/0

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I changed this title to include this call out because this is the second time Cisco1 has butted into a post of mine disparaging my character. he did the same thing when I asked a question about a shotgun that Yar was selling. I didn't continue there because it was Yar's for sale thread and out of line there.

I had hoped that Cisco would simply get over the deal that didn't happen, but he can't seem to move on and continues to snipe at me whenever he sees an opportunity. I don't feel like I did anything wrong and I wanted everyone to see up front exactly what happened.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Oh good. A new call out thread. The other was getting stale. smile smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
SM II, and SM III

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by cisco1
Go tend your trotline.
I am:
Chuck Ellison
22620 Cottage Grove Ave,
Steger, ILL

708-638-3387

Mr, Ellison
I've done everything I know to do in this situation with you. Money never changed hands and the only thing I did to you was not trusting you. I did get spooked when you wanted payment in your wife's name. I apologized for that.

You need to get over it and move on. Even when I backed out of the deal, we could have fixed things by talking it out but you immediately started calling me names. I really am sorry it worked out the way it did.

Since Mr Ellison has published his contact info already, I will now post our full correspondence for all to see my horrendous crimes against this man.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/viewmessage/message/641999/gonew/0

You are going to have to copy and paste. Linkie no workie.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok, I'll start when it went south.

cisco1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: The Wrong Side of the Tracks

Randy,
We talked on the phone�.. I made my decision at that time.
I would appreciate it if you make payment in my wife's name. I spend so much money on guns and hunts that when I occasionally sell something, I like her to get the money.
Linnea Ellison
22620 Cottage Grove Ave.
Steger, ILL. 60475
My addy� the same.
Best,
Chuck

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic
Unread By: none

CI16728

#3551676 - 09/02/14 06:06 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
R_H_Clark Online content
Campfire Guide

Loc: NW Alabama

Chuck
I have to be honest and tell you that sending the MO to a different person does make me feel a little uncomfortable. I have no reason to believe you are anything but honest, but you hear of so many people that aren't these days, that it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

I think you are an honest man but this feels a little weird. Are you concerned the money will somehow effect a social security?

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic

#3551782 - 09/02/14 08:13 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
R_H_Clark Online content
Campfire Guide

Chuck
I'm really sorry about this but I'm going to have to pass on this whole deal. Your wanting to sell to me on payments and wanting payment in your wife's name just makes me too suspicious. You may be the best guy in the world to deal with and you really haven't given me any reason to think otherwise, but I no longer feel good about this deal.

I'm probably being way too paranoid and I apologize for that. I'm sorry that the condition of the world we live in has caused me to feel this way.

I wish you the best with your deals and sale of this gun. I'm very sorry I have caused you so much inconvenience and if I have caused you to miss any other sale.

#3551833 - 09/02/14 09:02 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
cisco1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Well, Randy I blew off a couple buyers to make this deal with you .
I just wanted to give my wife a little for all the help she is.
I could offer to have you send the MO to my name��.but I think you are using this an excuse , because you got cold feet.
I smell a skunk.

#3551840 - 09/02/14 09:08 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
R_H_Clark Online content
Campfire Guide

I'm sorry you feel that way. Very possibly you are a very nice and honest man that was trying to do both me and your wife a good turn.

The offer to sell to me on payments and wanting the Mo in your wife's name just made me feel too suspicious about the whole thing.

I am not in any way saying you are dishonest.Probably I'm just too paranoid. I hope you can forgive me.

I was all set to make this deal with you until you wanted payment in your wife's name. You could have just as easily given her the money yourself unless something else is going on here.

#3551863 - 09/02/14 09:21 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
cisco1 Offline
Campfire Regular

I will pray for your unfounded suspicious mind .
Nothing illegal, nothing wrong. You have a problem.
We are done . Do not bother me.
I will be trying to salvage my sale to some responsible person that understands the value of giving his word.
Surely you never were that person.

#3551872 - 09/02/14 09:30 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
R_H_Clark Online content
Campfire Guide

I'm not accusing you. I thank you for your prayers. Possibly you are right. I'm sorry for any harm this has caused you and I ask you to forgive me.

Yes, we are done and it is possibly all my fault.I wish you only the best.I do feel like I broke my word. I ask you to forgive me for that and to please try to understand why I felt suspicious.

I can only tell you that if the situation were reversed, I would understand your reservations and forgive you. You come from a generation where a man's word meant everything. It makes me very sad because that generation is about gone.

I can tell you that in the future I will find out every detail of a deal before I give my word. I do not lightly break my word but I feel like your actions left me no choice.

#3551883 - 09/02/14 09:40 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
cisco1 Offline
Campfire Regular

What do you suggest I tell the folks that gun was sold? without looking like you l
You need more than prayers���..I fell sorry for a goofy guy like you.
I think perhaps you should not own a single gun. You obviously do not have the mental capacity to own a gun.
What difference does it make if my wife gets the check? She is gonna deposit it in our account.
Goodbye,
DO NOT BOTHER ME ANYMORE !

#3551920 - 09/02/14 09:50 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
R_H_Clark Online content
Campfire Guide

Then don't send me any more PM's

Why did you want the money order in your wife's name? Didn't you think that would sound suspicious? Why not just cash it and give her the money yourself? How am I suppose to know she is even your wife? You are asking me to send money to someone I have never spoken to and never met and don't know, that has nothing to do with this deal.

If your gun is priced well you won't have any problems selling it.I'm sorry you are so upset about this deal. I only cost you one day. I even told you not to hold it for me until I told you last night that I would take it. I would have done the deal and all would have been fine if you had not wanted payment in another's name.

#3551936 - 09/02/14 10:05 AM Re: Beretta trade interest? S&W 18-2?
cisco1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Now, you have pissed me off! What I sell always goes to my wife.

I offer you the best deal you will ever have and you [bleep] it up.
You can [bleep] up a free turkey dinner.
I have put a curse on you.
[bleep] off Randy and take your small meaningless suspicious mind back under you swamp.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm thinking you boys just need to have a good old fashioned dick-off to settle this.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What difference does it make if my wife gets the check? She is gonna deposit it in our account.
Goodbye,
DO NOT BOTHER ME ANYMORE !

If that's true, then why make the check out to HER?
Why couldn't YOU just give her the money?

You shouldn't get upset when YOU are the one being irrational

It appears to me YOU are the one doing the "bothering", and acting childish

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh boy, as the fire turns, some days this place is like a soap opera. cry

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Partsman
Oh boy, as the fire turns, some days this place is like a soap opera. cry

Believe me, I would have rather just let this go, but twice since I backed out on the deal cisco1 has found somewhere I posted and basically called me a liar and said that my word was no good. Once was in the classifieds.

I did hate that this deal didn't happen and at fist did feel like I was breaking my word. A bit later I realized that I gave my word to pay Cisco1 X amount. I did not agree to pay someone else I had never heard of. I now do not feel like I broke my word because he changed the terms of our deal.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/25/14.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.