Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Been wanting a winchester safari express in 375 but they are somewhat hard to find. CZ requires too much work and money to get it what I want, so that leaves whitworths.

How are they compared to model 70's? I basically want an all around 375. Thoughts

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had 1 for about 12 years or so. It's a 375 H&H. The only thing I did to it was adjust the trigger (It has a good 1 to work on),and glass bed it.
Its been to Africa, hunted Deer, and Elk here in the states.
Never had a problem, or hiccup. Built stout, and shoots very well.

Hang on tight !
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My brother and I both own Whitworths in .375 H&H. The action is a Zastava commercial Mauser that features CRF with all-steel construction, including the bottom metal. Both rifles are nicely finished and sport express sights, a barrel band with a sling swivel, and a trigger that is easily adjusted. Both actions cycle smoothly without any binding. The stocks are "Turkish" walnut that are well-figured and skillfully checkered. It is possible that the stocks were finished in England (as some have claimed), but I'm betting that they were only "inspired" by the English Whitworth style and were actually finished in the former Yugoslavia, just as the barreled actions were.

Both rifles are quite accurate with any load we've fed them and are responsible for three cape buffalos, a crocodile, and 2 Alaska brown bears, as well as smaller stuff like impala and nyala.

The main criticism I've heard from the DG purists is that the sliding safety only blocks the trigger, and that the gun would be more useful with a wing safety that disengages the sear. Personally, I think that falls into the realm of esoterica because we've had no accidental misfires with our Whitworths; in fact, the only issue I've ever had with a sliding safety was with a tang Ruger 77, and that was due to my monkeying with the sear engagement on one of the old-style triggers.

IIRC, Mule Deer also owns, uses, and likes his similar Whitworth as well.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Funny you should ask.... I just bought one on Gunbroker on Tuesday.... I pick it up today... I will let you know but for the money... goodness I can still put in a good amount and not be to the base price of a new model 70... and lets not even get started on some of the others....

I paid $620 for mine... nice stock and very clean... barrel band, express sights... etc.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by leemar28
I've had 1 for about 12 years or so. It's a 375 H&H. The only thing I did to it was adjust the trigger (It has a good 1 to work on),and glass bed it.
Its been to Africa, hunted Deer, and Elk here in the states.
Never had a problem, or hiccup. Built stout, and shoots very well.

Add a plus 1 to this.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
When you use a Whitworth until it looks like this, it might--and I mean MIGHT--be considered a little used up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was a PH's everyday carry gun in Zimbabwe, and he was thinking about passing it down to his apprentice. The PH wasn't losing any sleep over the safety.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sako
Funny you should ask.... I just bought one on Gunbroker on Tuesday.... I pick it up today... I will let you know but for the money... goodness I can still put in a good amount and not be to the base price of a new model 70... and lets not even get started on some of the others....

I paid $620 for mine... nice stock and very clean... barrel band, express sights... etc.

You probably bought the one i was watching. I almost bid on it and held off

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Phoneman
Originally Posted by Sako

You probably bought the one i was watching. I almost bid on it and held off

only kind of sorry about that.... smile I shot it today off the back porch standing at about 75 yards... 2 shots about 1 inch apart.... Looking forward to being able to shoot it more and load some for it

The gun I have is well made... very good wood to metal fit, glass bedding, extra bedding block under barrel, good trigger and good well fitting stock... not a big cluck of wood like the CZs.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've got 2 rifles in 375 H&H. One is a Rem Model 700 Classic and the other is a Whitworth. Both are extremely accurate and both have been to Africa. The Rem is a little lighter to carry but that also means it kicks a little more. If I decide to sell one, it will be the rem and I'd keep the Whitworth.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've had both the Witworths, several of them and a Model 70 . I greatly preferred the Witworth to the Winchester.
All they ever did was shoot very accurately and feed and eject flawlessly. .
And they looked pretty good to boot

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have both and the Whitworths are the better rifle. My present Whitworth is in 416 Rem. A re-bored and chambered 375 it seems. I had a 458 win in a Whitworth, it was a very accurate rifle and well balanced.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have three Whitworths left - I sold the .458 due to severe arthritis and fibromyalgia. I have a 7mm, .300 win mag and a .375H&H, all with DST. The .375 has claw mounts. I will soon try to sell the .300 and the 7mm because I will soon not be able to hunt longer than 2 days at a time, and I will be buried with either my .375 Whitworth or my SAKO .375 carbine: maybe both but that would be wasteful and my really good friends would dig me up and save the rifles.

Terry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That looks every bit as nice as the Rigby I owned without the cost of the "grill plate".

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The safety is the only thing I am not real happy with on my Whitworth .375. The existing safety is very stiff and does not seem to engage positively ... sort of a short throw between on and off position with no real point where you feel like the safety has fully engaged.

Am considering a model 70 style conversion. Any experiences I should keep in mind from folks who have traveled this path?

Last edited by OregonCoot; 09/26/14.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Another option to a Whitworth is the Remington 798 Safari model. The Safari model was the Cadillac of the 798s. They came in 375 and 458. The difference between the Whitworth and the Safari are the Safari has a 22" barrel and does not have a multi leaf barrel sight. I found mine, like new, for $800.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Win M70 in 375 H&H is my go to rifle. A Whitworth 375 H&H is my back up rifle. I've never needed it but it is accurate on the range and I trust it.

Last edited by Mssgn; 11/29/14.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
WHITWORTH'S are far and away BETTER than any Winchester that is shootable.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would ( and did...) take a Whitworth over a Winchester....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very nice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.