Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CoreyPiersol

I don't mean to sound belittling but I want to make sure we are all on the same page when it comes to DWR (Durable Water Repellency) and how it benefits Waterproof/Breathable membranes. Please note that the washes you're using are to retreat the DWR coating and are not what keeps you dry from rain. They will keep the garement's face fabric from wetting out and maintain the garment's breathability. If the garment wets out it creates a water barrier that your body vapor cannot escape through. Your body moisture will build up and can give the perception of leaking. This goes for all W/B membranes.

What the guy is telling you is a FACT.

Truth be known, a lot of you geniuses' "leaking goretex" is because you never actually spent days on end wearing what goretex replaced (rubber) and don't realize you are marinating in your own sweat, not rain, and your sweat feels cold because you didn't wear proper garments under the shell in the first place.

I've always been told that replacing the DWR when it wears out aided breathability during a downpour because the beading action of the water gave the vapor a path to go through, versus a "sheet" of water that made passage of the vapor slower.

Goretex membranes typically tear near the shoulder, from packstrap wear, and when they actually leak, it LOOKS/FEELS like a leak, not just your azz got steamy.

I'm also not surprised that many here don't know that Goretex should not be washed with any soap that contains surfactants (they make water "wetter", IE, they reduce water molecules's innate polarity), which is what most of you used when you did wash Goretex. That'll reduce it waterproofness as well. Sportwash or Ivory Snow is what should be used.

I remember on trip in Denali in the 70's when I was dressed in the "state of the art" gear, IE a coated North Face Cagoule for rain and a Sierra Designs 60/40 shell (treated with scotchguard) Humping in intermittent rain in 40F temps (read hypothermia junction) you finally figured out that just keeping the cagoule on and staying warm and wet was the ticket after the 60/40 "soaked thru"(Try this old school textile and you'll actually know what soaking thru means).

It didn't take me the next two decades of wearing issued Goretex in the Army to figure out that stuff was a godsend and a vast improvement over the old school textiles. Anyone who's actually used both in the field will agree, unless you're a moron.

Event is NOT as waterproof as Goretex, it is designed to NOT be as waterproof to enhance breathability. This ain't new and it ain't rocket science, it is simple physics.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/25/14.
GB1

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's what I saw: Gore Tex leaking from the outside in when we were stationary (read: NOT SWEATING). It was pretty easy to see that the rain gear in question was absolutely soaked inside and out before we even started walking or hiking.

Here's what I also saw: eVent NOT leaking when we were stationary.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I'll defer to what I experienced.

Tanner

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm guessing that Dall will ruin you for the lower 48

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the history lesson!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tanner,
Awesome job up there, and thanks for your gear report.
Best luck on your next hunt.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great gear report tanner. Reminds me of the hunt on a glacier where a guy with gortex soaked his 300 dollar jacket through and left it to hang for the night. It was frozen solid in the morning so we poured gas on it and burned it. Never wore breatheable raingear again....lightweight hh works great.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
From the technical papers i've read regarding Gor-tex and breathability, it seems as if the climate inside the jacket must be more humid than that on the outside to pass or vent moisture. Almost by definition for the technology to vent moisture, one must already be sweating. There is a ton to read out there on this and other membranes/technology. My experience with Gor-tex is that it not very waterproof and it doesn't breathe well. The few Event laminates i've tried were outstanding in comparison.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
Here's what I saw: Gore Tex leaking from the outside in when we were stationary (read: NOT SWEATING).

So, your friend was dead? 'Cause if'n you ain't dead, you perspire 24/7.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Stop being dense.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I know is, if I book a hunt with Tanner, I'll be wearing what he advises me to. Regardless of all the "geniuses" on the internet.

And that is not directed at Mr. Piersol, he seems like a stand-up guy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on Tanner!!! Looks like an awesome time!! Glad you liked that Westcomb Jacket.....really like my eVent stuff too as you know. So breathable compared to the other gore tex offerings I ahve used in the past and seems thus far to be "waterproof" longer when hiking through miles of wet grass and alders in the rain.

I did upgrade from the Spectre to the Cruiser LT to get the pit zips and love it. Super breathable membrane AND pit zips...whats not to like.

Like TAK says both Gore tex and eVent are MUCH better than wearing rubber rain gear for high activity backpack style hunts. But I have found from having 4 or 5 $300-$500 gore tex rain jackets and 3 eVent ones is the the eVent ones are superior at breathing AND keeping me drier. The science aspect between the two membranes I have no idea, its just been my experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the great info, everyone!

Does anyone make an eVent "hunting" jacket? Something on the quieter side for woods or brush hunting.

I've had surprisingly good luck with Cabela�s Dry-Plus, hunted all day in a downpour and only had my wrists get wet from water wicking up the fleece sleeves and water dripping into the pockets(no zippers) getting my thighs damp. Fortunately I was able to dry out in a cabin. Tent hunting would have been a different thing altogether. I wouldn't mind a bombproof multipurpose jacket for those types of days and general SE backpacking.

I don't see the Cruiser LT on Westcombs website, they might be replacing it with a new model?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://shopwestcomb.com/mens-clothing/hardshell-jackets.html

There ya go man....left most on the 2nd row.

If you are talking about "hunting" jackets in eVent as any being camo, I am not sure, wildthings gear used to make some I think but not sure on that now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some good reports here. Looking at the Westcomb gear, I don't find any comparable rain proof pants.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Right on Tanner!!! Looks like an awesome time!! Glad you liked that Westcomb Jacket.....really like my eVent stuff too as you know. So breathable compared to the other gore tex offerings I ahve used in the past and seems thus far to be "waterproof" longer when hiking through miles of wet grass and alders in the rain.

I did upgrade from the Spectre to the Cruiser LT to get the pit zips and love it. Super breathable membrane AND pit zips...whats not to like.

Like TAK says both Gore tex and eVent are MUCH better than wearing rubber rain gear for high activity backpack style hunts. But I have found from having 4 or 5 $300-$500 gore tex rain jackets and 3 eVent ones is the the eVent ones are superior at breathing AND keeping me drier. The science aspect between the two membranes I have no idea, its just been my experience.

I'm curious what you're using for pants...?

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with you all. Ill take eVent over Goretex any day.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great pics and info Tanner. Thanks for sharing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What has been people's experience as far as durability/longevity of eVent?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've used eVent bivy bags and had great success. Currently I use Marmot Precip for rain gear - I've tried everything and it always fails - so I always seem to go back to the marmot precip. It's cheap and light and keeps you sort of dry.

But recently I saw some new stuff made by Zpacks
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
Has anyone tried this stuff? It looks super light and uses both eVent and Cuben fiber. Must be good right?

Patrick

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pgsalton
I've used eVent bivy bags and had great success. Currently I use Marmot Precip for rain gear - I've tried everything and it always fails - so I always seem to go back to the marmot precip. It's cheap and light and keeps you sort of dry.

But recently I saw some new stuff made by Zpacks
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
Has anyone tried this stuff? It looks super light and uses both eVent and Cuben fiber. Must be good right?

Patrick

I have been looking at this stuff as well. Hoping someone gives it a try.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 71 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.