Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
30 minutes of rain isn't really the start of a test IMHO. When you are in rain every day of the hunt for 10 dyas or so... thats a test.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Phil, I would have been warmer and drier if you had some proper firewood in your neighborhood! I would have paid extra for a cord of seasoned red oak.

The emergency airlift of Rocky's hot biscuits warmed my stomach and my heart. I promise you, even though I was wet I had a smile on my face for 12 days straight!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"A Fine and Pleasant Misery"

Pat McManus rocks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the Kuiu jacket. I just got back from two weeks in Alaska and used my Kuiu Chugach rain jacket for the first time and thought after this trip that it was by far the best rain wear I have used. Kept me dry in almost daily rain on my two week hunting/fishing trip and breathed very well.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had good luck with Sitka rain gear on my trips to Alaska.

Brad Dana
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had good results with Gore-Tex rain gear here in the interior also but then we have SW Alaska and the Aleutian weather.

There is no comparison!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ForrestB
I've sent Kuiu a request for a Return Authorization. The warranty information on their website indicates they won't accept a return on a used product just because it doesn't function as advertised.
We'll see what happens.

My experience with several Gore-Tex items has been very positive. Simms, Cloudveil, Orvis and Patagonia breathable waders have provided years of superior performance for me. My Simms and Cloudveil wading jackets have provided bombproof performance in conditions similar or even worse than what I just experienced in AK. I have a Marmot Gore-Tex XCR jacket that is my go-to backpacking jacket that has never let me down and it's seen some pretty severe conditions as well. The Kuiu Yukon jacket doesn't hold a candle to these other breathable jackets or waders.

If that's their standard warranty i'll never own a piece of KUIU gear. When it comes to rain gear, i'll stick with my Impertech bibs and long coat.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
It makes you wonder, dont people wear this stuff before going up there? It rains down here too, and an hour in it would tell you Sitka/Kuiu/Gor-Tex is junk..

Each time I get a new rain garment I pull it out of the package, get in the shower & spend at least 30 minutes under the flow. If it's raining outside I suit up and get in it.

The last place to test rain gear is on a hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"I've sent Kuiu a request for a Return Authorization. The warranty information on their website indicates they won't accept a return on a used product just because it doesn't function as advertised."

This, for sure. That's about as ball'sy as you can get and expect to stay in business. SERIOUSLY??

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had been considering a purchase from them. But not now.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The packer on my last trip used Kuiu gear. He was up in the Alaskan Range for 4 months. He said he was throwing it away when he got home.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You would be better off using a 55g contractor grade garbage bag� it'll cost a lot less, and keep you dry. Then when your done using it you can throw all of the crapy Kuiu clothing you wasted your money on into the garbage bag and take it to the curb.

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
I have had good results with Gore-Tex rain gear here in the interior also but then we have SW Alaska and the Aleutian weather.

There is no comparison!

agreed.. The only time I wore my goretex when I lived in Kodiak, was when it was not raining... so, about 12 times in 7 years... smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, my jacket went back to Kuiu today. I asked for a refund but was offered only an exchange as they don't accept returns on used gear. I don't understand how I could possibly tell it was defective without using it first. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out when I get my new jacket.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ForrestB
I've sent Kuiu a request for a Return Authorization. The warranty information on their website indicates they won't accept a return on a used product just because it doesn't function as advertised. We'll see what happens.

ForrestB,
If your Yukon jacket failed, what did you have on for pants? Yukon, Chugach or something else?
I have had just the opposite experience with the Yukon/Chugach rain gear.

I have provided a link to their Terms & Conditions page. Also stated is their LIFETIME WARRANTY for the original owner. But please show me where its stated they won't accept a return just because it doesn't function as advertised? That is counter-intuitive to good customer service.

https://store.kuiu.com/Articles.asp?ID=254

Look anything can fail. But the Yukon and Chugach line is typically on backorder - that doesn't happen if the product repeatedly fails.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't own any of that Kuiu/Sitka crap. When I go to Alaska all I wear is green woolen pants, merino long sleeve light weight shirts and whatever fleece jacket I feel like taking. HH go on top of that.

All that synthetic crap really sucks in the brush- too fn loud: swish-swish. Natural fibers are much quieter in general.

I've decided next year when I hunt Alaska again,I'm dressing like a guide- I bought a Carhart vest and hoodie 3 weeks ago in Anchorage just for that hunt.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 10/18/14.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Although not true rain gear, I've been extremely pleased with my Kuiu DCS Guide Jacket. When paired with a Cabela's Primaloft jacket and some layers of merino wool it has proven to be a very flexible combination easily handling rain showers, snow, and temps down in the teens/20s.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From the Kuiu website:

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us immediately at servicekuiu.com or during business hours Monday-Friday from 9:00AM-5:00PM PST at 855-367-5848. A return authorization (RA) number is required to initiate a return, exchange, or refund of the full purchase price. Returns, exchanges or refunds are subject to the below policy conditions.
RETURNS:
� Must be returned to KUIU within 60 days of the original purchase date
� Product must be unworn and in an unaltered, salable condition with tags attached
� By law, product must be sent back clean
� All returns must be associated with an RA number. Items returned without an RA number included will not be accepted. Please contact customer service for an RA number.
In the event of a refund, a credit of the full purchase price (shipping excluded) will be issued in the form of the original payment method. A refund issued to a credit card will appear on your statement within 1 to 2 billing cycles.
EXCHANGES:
� Must be returned to KUIU within 60 days of the original purchase date
� Product must be unworn and in an unaltered, salable condition with tags attached
� By law, product must be sent back clean
� All exchanges must be associated with an RA number. Items returned without an RA number included will not be accepted. Please contact customer service for an RA number.
To account for changes in inventory, the exchange process is executed in two steps:
1. A new order is placed for the desired exchange merchandise and a charge to your credit card or other desired payment method of choice is processed. You will receive an Order Confirmation email when the new order is placed.
2. Authorized return merchandise is accepted, processed, and a credit of the full purchase price (shipping excluded) will be issued in the form of the original payment method.
Because item availability cannot be guaranteed at the time your return is received, we highly recommend placing a new order as soon as possible.
KUIU OUTLET RETURN POLICY:
All outlet sales are final and not eligible for return or exchange.
WARRANTY POLICY:
WHAT WARRANTY COVERS:
This warranty covers any manufacturer workmanship defects in your KUIU gear. This warranty applies to consumer use only and is null and void if the product is used in a manner it is not intended for.
HOW LONG COVERAGE LASTS:
This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the product.
WHO IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY:
This warranty is for the original consumer purchaser only. It is not transferable. Proof of purchase must be verified.
WHAT WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
Any problem that is caused by abuse, misuse, or an act of nature (fire, flood, moths, etc.) is not covered. Snags, stains, pilling, discoloration, deterioration, burns, or damage from normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. Consequential and incidental damages are not recoverable under this warranty.
WHAT KUIU WILL DO:
If the item proves to be defective in workmanship, KUIU will attempt to repair the item. If this is not possible we will replace it with a new item of similar composition and price. If no such item is available, a refund for the full purchase price of the original item will be issued at KUIU discretion.
LIMITATION ON DAMAGES AND DURATION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES:
KUIU will repair or replace the product as provided under this Lifetime Warranty. This shall be the only remedy of the consumer. KUIU shall not be liable for any loss or damages, including consequential, indirect, and incidental damages arising out of the use of, or inability to use, the product, or for breach of any expressed or implied warranty or condition on this product. Except to the extent prohibited by law, any implied warranties or conditions of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are limited in duration to the duration of this warranty.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

ForrestB,
If your Yukon jacket failed, what did you have on for pants? Yukon, Chugach or something else?

I was wearing Simms chest waders...no problems there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm maybe it's the greatest stuff sinced sliced bread

but I've braved a bit of weather before I ever heard of Sitka or Kuiu

perhaps I'm starting to overcome my gear addiction

so much of what sells these days is just great marketing and our hopes for "perfect" gear

only new piece of kit I've purchased in recent times was River's West raingear, and it's great stuff, but not for raingear.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.