Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9211162 09/27/14
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a beater McMillan Winlite stock that I'd like to try this on. Looking at the MultiCam Arid pattern as I think that would be a good pattern for the area that this rifle will mainly get used in. Anyone know of a reasonable priced hydro dipping service that can handle the pattern I'm looking for?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here is one on youtube, looks okay, I don't care for the gloss finish.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had one of my .264 Win Mags that has a Brown Precision stock Hydro dipped A couple of years ago. It's not durable at all. Was not impressed. It is over sprayed with auto clear coat paint & dents and scratches really easy. Just a waste of money, IMO.
Krylon rattle can in tougher in my experience. And MUCH Cheaper!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/27/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well the deal is the stock really isn't for me. I have a neighbor kid that's been helping me clean up my property, split wood, fix livestock pens, and maintain my vehicles. Generally he just comes over to help me out because he's always looking for something to do and has never asked for any money, though I've given him some on a regular basis or bought him some tools.

I have an old Win 670 that I'm going to give him for the help. His parents gave the okay as he loves to shoot and wants to hunt. I'm just trying to spruce it up a little for him as it's been a basket case since I bought it.

He knows he's getting it and he asked about doing the stock in digital camo or something similar. I told him I'd see what we could d0. I told him we could always just rattle can it camo and he's mulling that over as well.

Anyway, like I said it's just an old M670 in .270 Win. We are going to bed it to the McMillan Winlite and clean the stock up. I have a Burris FFII 3-9X40 that we're going to top it off with. Then were going to start teaching him how to build an accurate load at the bench for it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
These guys:
http://www.watermagicimaging.com/film-dipping.html

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Northwest hydro print in montesano WA did this one quick turn around and 99$ plus shipping to and from. Good people very nice job hunted three years has held up great.[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those two look really nice. They have me thinking.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Bell and Carlson hydro dip a McMillan Ruger Ultralight stock 8 years ago. The product they used is tough. They didn't clear coat it either.

Never had any issues with any solvent. I take it through catclaw and other desert foliage without scratching it. It is colored natural gear. Unfortunately Bell and Carlson don't offer hydro dipping anymore.

I discovered you can add colors with a sharpie and even blend it in with a patch with some brake clean on it. To remove just wipe off with a saturated patch of brake clean. Sounds crazy but that natural gear is the perfect neutral color to add green, brown or black.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
These guys:

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the
auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

How is the grip? did you like it? Was it too much or just right, thanks.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 09/27/14.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I had this Mcmillan for Winchester FWT stock done here three yrs ago. So far so good.
You can check out the different designs offered on his site.
http://www.virginiahydrodesigns.com/

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fredIII
Northwest hydro print in montesano WA did this one quick turn around and 99$ plus shipping to and from. Good people very nice job hunted three years has held up great.[Linked Image]

Looks good! They must be better than the local guys here doing the Hydro Dip

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/27/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Well the deal is the stock really isn't for me. I have a neighbor kid that's been helping me clean up my property, split wood, fix livestock pens, and maintain my vehicles. Generally he just comes over to help me out because he's always looking for something to do and has never asked for any money, though I've given him some on a regular basis or bought him some tools.

I have an old Win 670 that I'm going to give him for the help. His parents gave the okay as he loves to shoot and wants to hunt. I'm just trying to spruce it up a little for him as it's been a basket case since I bought it.

He knows he's getting it and he asked about doing the stock in digital camo or something similar. I told him I'd see what we could d0. I told him we could always just rattle can it camo and he's mulling that over as well.

Anyway, like I said it's just an old M670 in .270 Win. We are going to bed it to the McMillan Winlite and clean the stock up. I have a Burris FFII 3-9X40 that we're going to top it off with. Then were going to start teaching him how to build an accurate load at the bench for it.

Good on you for helping the kiddo out!

You sound just like Walt Kowalski, Clint Eastwood's character in the movie Gran Torino! wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Orion2000
These guys:

Did this for me:
[Linked Image]

KUIU Verde pattern... Also added a little bit of Shark Grip to the
auto clear coat to add a little grip to it...

How was the grip? did you like it? Was it too much or just right, thanks.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.

I like it. The guy that did the dip went sparingly on the Shark Grip. He was concerned it would be "too" aggressive. I think I would prefer a little more grip. But, will not know for certain until deer season. My local gun smith uses Shark grip regularly for LEO firearms. I can always have him amp it up over the winter...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the reply.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Might think about getting a dig camo stencil kit from brownells. And use some rattle can paint.. I would bet he would have fun with you doing the project himself and it would have some meaning. I did one and it turned out pretty nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a thought too.

Texas
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Good on you for helping the kiddo out!

You sound just like Walt Kowalski, Clint Eastwood's character in the movie Gran Torino! wink

I'm not as cool as Walt!

Great movie.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't get all the camo painted rifles. Do you want to have to look for it when you set it down? Unless you are hiding it from other people, camo on a rifle is 100% superfluous; especially on a long range rig like most guys want to do. I will go along with it for turkey hunting but even then it is probably not needed. Hold still and they won't see you.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]

Best Hydro dip color I've ever seen....nice!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I don't get all the camo painted rifles. Do you want to have to look for it when you set it down? Unless you are hiding it from other people, camo on a rifle is 100% superfluous; especially on a long range rig like most guys want to do. I will go along with it for turkey hunting but even then it is probably not needed. Hold still and they won't see you.

I like the way it looks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.