Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm off for my first western hunt; antelope in Wyoming for this Nov.

Vast majority of time I shoot on a bench at the range so I've been making a concerted effort to practice for field type of positions like sitting. Tried some prone too. Found I'm not nearly as good a shot from field positions!

Been trying various cheats like a Primos trigger stick tripod and recently got the Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod which I find is stupidly good but wonder how convenient it will me to setup in the field putting a stalk on a lope.

Guide was telling me they try to get most guys prone so I will practice that too but I did find I really do need to practice it as I found prone a bit ackward. Certainly not as stable as the fieldpod thing.

What have you guys found has worked for you ? Anyone use the Fieldpod out west or is if just too much of a pain?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had good success with a simple set of shooting sticks. They break down like tent poles with elastic running inside them. They are light and easy to carry and I wouldn't want to pack more than that. At some point you feel like you are dragging three fly rods around with about 40 yards of line behind you. I hate carrying too much schit.

Shooting off your pack is probably the best. But sometimes prone won't work. A lot of guys use bipods on their rifles but I don't like the way they balance. Just personal preference.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually use a bipod on my rifle when I hunt antelope.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by aheider
I have had good success with a simple set of shooting sticks. They break down like tent poles with elastic running inside them. They are light and easy to carry and I wouldn't want to pack more than that. At some point you feel like you are dragging three fly rods around with about 40 yards of line behind you. I hate carrying too much schit.

Shooting off your pack is probably the best. But sometimes prone won't work. A lot of guys use bipods on their rifles but I don't like the way they balance. Just personal preference.

Me too. For me, on uneven ground a tripod is a bit trickier to get set up quickly.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A bipod equals cheating for me, and I like to cheat...

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bipod or off the pack for me.

If you're crawling up on a target, just be slow, methodical, and keep your movements within your silhouette. You can get your bipod open without much fuss.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Harris bipod for antelope.

There's a good chance your outfitter will have one you could borrow if you don't feel like buying. Ask ahead of time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
November? There will be a lot of hornless, and one horned bucks running around that time of year...

Prone....learn it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by aheider

In sagebrush country, being able to shoot prone is unlikely. Bipods are usually too low as is shooting over a pack. I've done it a few times but usually you need to be at least sitting up. I've had the best luck using a single trekking pole. There are lots of ways you can set up using it to brace against your knee, grabbing it and a sagebrush branch for support, etc.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

canoetrpr:

Prone works the best for me but it's not always possible because the grass/weeds are often too tall.

My rifle wears a bipod when hunting speed goats. Make sure that you try out the 'pod at the range to see how you fit the height. You need one that's right for your torso height. Sitting only works for me when using a bipod. Whenever possible, I try to use other stuff like my pack, a fence post, rock, etc., for additional stability.

Kneeling is the most difficult shooting position for me and I only use it when there's no other alternative.

Practice wrapping the sling around your arm to get additional stability.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like prone over a pack or use a bipod as a second choice.

Eric

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sticks or off my pack

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always install a Harris bipod on my rifle before going out on a day of hunting. It has helped me so often I can't count any more, even with relatively short shots at times. For times when you will need to be prone, or close to it, you will need a shorter unit- 6-9" or 9-13". For sitting shots, I like the 3 piece 13-27" unit for the adjustability and extra height for sitting positions. Sometimes for really long shots, I will put my back against a fence post and use the bipod for a really steady rest.

Pack works great also but none of these aids work if you don't practice with them to get the technique down and muscle memory and to see if they will affect your rifle's point of impact.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a monopod that doubles as a walking stick and adjusts quick an easy. Not as steady but handy and a useful for more than just the shot.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of my antelope hunting has been in the shortgrass prairies of Wyoming. There, I find the 9-13" Harris bipod to be near perfect.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tend to favor a day pack with a shooting sling. In fact, with a soild sitting position, a properly adjusted shooting sling, and, perhaps a somewhat heavier rifle, my groups from sitting with a sling have equaled my prone over a pack groups at times.
Too bad nobody seems to use a shooting sling anymore.
As to bipods, I haven't even carried one in the field for many years now. Too hard to use when you need to shoot in a hurry and the animal gives you very little time to do it. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Bipod or off the pack for me.

If you're crawling up on a target, just be slow, methodical, and keep your movements within your silhouette. You can get your bipod open without much fuss.

And that's exactly why a bipod is so handy. Way easier to drop the pack before going into sneaky Indian mode.

Can't think of the last time I went hunting(open country) without a swivel 12-25" Harris.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Primos shootin sticks for antelope. The sagebrush can be too high to shoot prone in Wyoming. As KC suggests, I also use a the sling wrap around the arm for more stability.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 09/28/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As others have said, I personally prefer:
1. Prone with a Harris bipod when height of brush allows
2. Bog Pod tripod, with my back up against something fairly
stout.
3. Not in regards to stability, but make good use of a quality
spotter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm thinking I will give the bipod a try. Love that Caldwell Fieldpod but it's going to be a pain it seems to stalk with it and put the sucker together. I think I will keep it for my ground blind for crossbow / whitetail at home.

I've been thinking about a Rhodesian sling combo with a stick or bipod. I have the sling on its way. A bipod does seem to be convenient to get together quick.

I like the sitting position more than prone and don't think I will have enough time to get proficient in more than one or two positions. Guide does have a bipod but I want to get used to it at the range.

Which of the umpteen Harris models should I opt for? Two piece, three piece. Swivel or not? 12"+ I guess?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.