Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I've worked out a pretty effective way to shoot accurately from a sitting position with the bipod, podloc, and rear support, using a pack.

[Linked Image]

My work rifle is no "lightweight". It tips the scale at 16+ pounds. Not easy to shoot offhand.

That's some pretty great positional shooting Pat! I've played around with a pack as a rear support in sitting positions, it seems quite steady. I'd love to get it consistently sub-moa like that.

I find that my offhand results are based on, in order of importance, my state of practice, the quality of the trigger, and the balance. My heavy guns are more "work" to shoot offhand, but I don't find that I shoot them any worse if they still balance alright.

Empirical results rule!
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Shot a work gun this time. Annoyingly I produced the same result- 17/20.

Particulars:

Colt M4A1 Block II
Vortex Razor 1-6x (all shots at 6x)
60gr Frangible

All shots made time, 3 misses.

Tot All= 17/20

Same sequence as the first time. Prone is the hardest as the gun/ammo system is 2 MOA and that gives me zero wiggle round room. And I straight hammered the offhand shot during the medley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I'd be interested to see how you're using the sticks as I have no issues with controlling the gun, bounce, etc.

I used carbon fiber adjustable hiking sticks (Black Diamond?), with the wrist straps looped over each handle. Doing so creates a "sling" for the forend to rest in and it is a simple matter of adjusting the angle of the legs for height. I allow the forend to rest on the straps and assume a modified sitting position with the offhand gripping the buttstock as you would prone or off a bench. Both elbows are braced upon a knee.

I'll have to focus on shooting off the sticks next time I go out, my technique clearly has room for improvement. I use a very similar position to my unsupported sitting, offhand on the forend ( and sticks ) and an elbow on each knee. Got to get those sticks under control, maybe I'll try some ski poles too.

Carl, I had the same problems with the sticks. Mine are homemade and needed to be repositioned after every shot. Kind of frustrating and you can see that in my 30-06 targets. I also shoot with elbows on knees to get the best support. I'm also thinking my sticks are still a tad too tall....This isn't a good picture, but it's from the last time I shot this with my 30-06 and 270 fwt:

[Linked Image]

Crappy pic, but you get the idea... I'd love to shoot my 375 H&H in this event, but don't think I'd make time due to the recoil sick

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back up guys. Carl started this a while back and it's a great shoot. I like to take my "new to me" rifles out and test function and accuracy in different field positions, more like hunting situations. I found out my pre 64 model 70 270 fwt's extractor was bad during one of these shoots. It was dribbling the case out, barely flinging it out of the way of the next cartridge to be loaded. This was over a year ago when I ended up buying a new extractor for the old girl. Today I took my sporterized m1917 out to test some loads and saw that a load I had laying around for my Remington 760 worked quite well, so I figured I'd give the Carl Ross positional match a try. I shoot this every once in a while and figured a few others might like to try it. With the time constraints, it can be damn challenging. Especially if you aren't accustomed to shooting under duress.... Here's what happened today with my other rifles "elk load" and a new rifle. Nothing special, rifle isn't a tack driver (per se) and I'm using the scope (American made Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle) that was on my CZ550 American that I sold to Geno (Valsdad) here on the fire. Rifle was glass bedded by yours truly and a Timney sportsman trigger was installed. I also re-contoured and refinished the stock. Bench accuracy of this rifle and load are right around 1.5 moa..:

[Linked Image]

All shots made time, with 3 misses... 17/20

I figured this would be a great thread to bring back in light of the recent "off hand" shooting threads. This is great practice guys. Play if you want...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I practiced today with my new to me AR. Bump this one up if anyone cares to do a little positional shooting before hunting season....:
Rifle with my crappy homemade shooting sticks. Same one's I've been using for years...

[Linked Image]

2 misses. All shot within time constraints. Score 18 out of 20:

[Linked Image]

Still fun practice. I generally try every new rifle on this shoot. I realize this is an old thread Carl started, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we keep it going. No winners or losers, just fun practice....

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA, this is an old post, but, it's a fun, challenging means of practice. You may have been around long enough to remember the old "Poatal" matches. There were several different types of challenges/competition. An honor system, where we scored our own targets, and trophies and or prizes were given. It was a good time and great methods of practice. I still miss the "Poatal" matches! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sounds cool buddy. I don't remember those, probably before I joined. I printed a bunch of these targets and they are always kept in my truck, so when I get a new rifle I can try it out. Generally I can tell a lot by a rifle's fit and feel after shooting a few offhand targets. This positional shooting has always been fun and challenging to me. Glad Carl started this. The other shoots you mention would also be cool if we could start doing those again. It sure was a kick in the pants yesterday, shooting my new AR. I don't think I've ever gone through that much ammo with one rifle during a range session. Now I need to go out in the shop and load up some more... grin

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Excellent drill. I started using this as the baseline to teach new hunters. Have gotten great results. So good in fact, that this drill has been added to the shooting tests that are used at work.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's cool Formid. I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the hell out of this one...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA, Just do a search from about 15 years ago. Look for "Poatal" match. The idea and spelling wink was originated by our friend JJHack! We had some really good shoots back in the day!!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trying this next time out.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Glad to see this is still getting some use!

I shot it pretty often until I switched "home" range facilities. Now 100 yard paper is inconvenient, and steel to 1400 IS convenient, which has led to me not shooting this drill in a while (or much paper at all really). I ought to print it out and run it a couple of times for comparison for how I used to do next time I do a range day.

I do practice a modified version with the same concepts for dry fire a lot, using my match rifle and a bit smaller aiming points. 2 or 3 rounds each from standing, kneeling, siting, and prone unsupported. 5-4-3-2 moa for the aim points, 90-120 seconds. Was rewarded at the last big match I shot with a stage set up almost EXACTLY how I run my drill, tied on the high score for that stage with a couple other guys.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Trying this next time out.

It's a fun drill wareagle. The way I see it is, it is excellent practice that gets me ready for hunting season. There's more to shooting than just off the bench (as you know). I love punching paper and doing this positional shooting, it gives me more confidence when the time comes to pulling the trigger on a critter.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Printed up the targets. This 100 degree heat can't last forever. Someday I will go to the range again.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will never live down that misspelling! My goodness that's back when the origin of the internet began.

It's a kind of haunting ( although kind as it was )name for these matches now!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JJHACK, You need to start another one up. We have automatic spell check now days to help you out buddy... Now we just need help with our shooting... Ha ha....

BSA MAGA
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I will never live down that misspelling! My goodness that's back when the origin of the internet began.

It's a kind of haunting ( although kind as it was )name for these matches now!

Some of the "old-timers" on 24hourcampfire.com remember that typo with a smile -- you were a great sport (and you still are)!

Just for posterity, here is the link to the thread where you posted the final rules: The Birth of the Poatal Match MEME laugh

John

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.