Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am going to hunt with a rifle but plan on carrying a handgun for bear protection. Yea, I know, more people worry about getting eat by a bear than actually get eat by a bear....

What I am curious about and cannot find, is, if I carry a handgun in addition to my rifle for hunting, does the handgun also have to meet the 'hunting' requirements for Elk?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nope. I always have a .22....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No. Open carry is legal in Colorado - any caliber.

That being said - from experience - bears aren't an issue in Colorado. We don't have any griz like they do up in Wyoming. It is just extra weight on your belt.

In Colorado, look at the gear you plan to carry and ask yourself how bad you really need it. You will be at high altitude. Just take what you absolutely need and nothing extra.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
No. Open carry is legal in Colorado - any caliber.

That being said - from experience - bears aren't an issue in Colorado. We don't have any griz like they do up in Wyoming. It is just extra weight on your belt.

In Colorado, look at the gear you plan to carry and ask yourself how bad you really need it. You will be at high altitude. Just take what you absolutely need and nothing extra.

This......

Besides, if a bear comes snuffling around, spit on him and tell him to get lost.....usually it works.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks guys, yea I was really thinking about the weight and most likely won't tote anything extra.

Just wondering if packing one out, if I toted my Ruger 41 mag if that would cause any issues. smile

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
As a Lowlander too, believe me you won't want any extra weight at altitude.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A 41 mag is a legal elk cartridge anyway......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
but a .22 is better for grouse and marten.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd never shoot a marten. Just because they eat pine squirrels and I hate those little SOB's........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
All these pistol questions, I don't get. You got a rifle, tha's what you need. You want a grouse, throw a rock and hit him in the head. I surely do not see the need to lug a pistol around all day when you already have a rifle in your hands. Yea I know it's all been said before....

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where I hunt in CO I've swore for years I was going to start carrying my single six. Seems like I always see grouse when I get up in the high country, unless I have a 22. Bears I wouldn't worry about, I don't even carry a sidearm if I have a rifle up here in AK. And a rifle is far more effective than any handgun you could ever carry on your belt if you did need to deal with a bear.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Although open carry is legal in CO, if that gun is on your hip in a holster or a shoulder rig, and your coat covers it, it is considered a concealed weapon and you need a CCW permit.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should read the rules before saying this, but I think grouse with a hand gun would not be legal.
Not to say I haven't seen it done.
One of the funniest times of my life was watching two kids trying to roast a grouse on a hand held spit over a campfire in a heavy snowstorm. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Only restrictions on small game is that West of I25 ,you cannot hunt with a rifle cartridge larger than .23 unless you have an unfilled deer or elk tag. It states nothing about handguns
I just checked the small game regs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And just how many NR's buy small game license to start with, just so they can shoot grouse. Don't make since to me. If I were spending that kind of money for an out of state elk hunt, I wouldn't be really wanting to be blasting birds and possibly spooking the big one. But that's just me..
If ya want to shoot grouse while elk hunting, take up archery. whistle

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep - 22 pistol is legal for grouse. And you don't risk pushing all the elk off a mountain with a little .22 report.

That being said, I hunted with a guy in Wyoming once -- ONCE! who head shot a grouse with his .270. I was sitting just above a group of elk that I watched move into some green timber below me and after his shot, I saw them high-tail out and up the other side of the drainage.

I agree that a rock is the best for grouse while hunting if you want fresh backstrap for dinner instead of grouse breast.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Trying to find an elk and touching off your pistol doesn't sound like a recipe for success

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For anyone interested...In Idaho no permit is required to carry concealed outside of city limits or a vehicle.
Also, any centerfire handgun is legal for any big game. There are no restriction on cartridge length or energy, none on bullet type. You can use a snub nosed 25 ACP on a bear or moose if you want to. I'm not saying it's smart, just legal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The real question for the pistol was when the Elk is on the ground and I'm packing it out. Tote a pistol for bears. But apparently that's a non issue, the bears that is.

Sounds like I'll have no problems.

Where can I find out if CO honor's NC CCH permits?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm seeing more grouse this year than I have ever seen before.

From 2014 small game regs.
"Rifles or handguns allowed for dusky grouse and ptarmigan."

I like the .45/.410 revolvers. Not too heavy and not too loud. Have had little use for the .45 but saw a bear and a bull while stomping around this past weekend.

Fresh grouse tonight.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
blammer, I found the active map on this website quite easy to check just what you're wanting to check. Click on the map and it'll show the states that do and do not honor your NC CCW permit.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blammer
The real question for the pistol was when the Elk is on the ground and I'm packing it out. Tote a pistol for bears. But apparently that's a non issue, the bears that is.

Sounds like I'll have no problems.

Where can I find out if CO honor's NC CCH permits?
In CO maybe. I've read that in parts of MT close to the park, the grizzlies have learned to follow the sound of gun shots, knowing they might get a snack. Some hunters have had guests at the gut pile.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TRnCO
blammer, I found the active map on this website quite easy to check just what you're wanting to check. Click on the map and it'll show the states that do and do not honor your NC CCW permit.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

thanks, after wandering around I found this

What is Colorado's Out of State Permit Reciprocity?
A permit to carry a concealed weapon that is issued to a person (who is at least 21 years of age) by another state will be considered valid in Colorado if the other state, in turn, recognized Colorado's concealed handgun permits. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6]
Check Colorado's reciprocity with other states.

NC honor's CO , so I'm good to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,291
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.