Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be sure to post pics!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well, a 71" bear is pretty nice.

I'm going to have a taxidermist put the antlers on the head of my brown bear mount to save space.

You know, every last post of yours may be construed as getting your last word in.....just saying. grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I'm going to have a taxidermist put the antlers on the head of my brown bear mount to save space.

That is the best idea I've heard in ages! You could call it a Moozzley Bear!

God Bless America!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

You know, every last post of yours may be construed as getting your last word in.....just saying. grin

Hah! I struck again!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by redfoxx

That is the best idea I've heard in ages! You could call it a Moozzley Bear!

Or a "Boose"?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MarineHawk
I don't care if you shoot your moose with a 600 Nitro Express, or a 22 short. Taking your son with you makes me think you are the real deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was backpacking with my ten-yr-old son in Colorado and then shooting a 71" bull in AK.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

Friend Marinehawk, first I would like to say, thanks for taking your son afield. This show volumes to me what kind of a father you are.
Second, look how you were blessed with that great moose.
Thanks for the pictures and your input about your time.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 09/27/14.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
MarineHawk
I don't care if you shoot your moose with a 600 Nitro Express, or a 22 short. Taking your son with you makes me think you are the real deal.

Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Friend Marinehawk, first I would like to say, thanks for taking your son afield. This show volumes to me what kind of a father you are.
Second, look how you were blessed with that great moose.
Thanks for the pictures and your input about your time.

Thanks guys! You are too kind. I assume most people do the same with their sons. To clarify, I took my son on a separate backpacking trip from the AK hunt. But I did take him black bear and deer hunting today on the one youth-only (early) hunting day here in Virginia on public land. FWIW, he can shoot under 3" groups at 200 yds with his .243 (from a bench):
http://vid75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/MarineHawk/2014/IMG_0752.mp4 (notice how at a recent range session he goes for the safety automatically after the shot).

We saw a lot of bear scat today but no live bear, and the deer aren�t rutting yet, there were a lot of hunters, and the people nearby who succeeded on a bear had hounds (which we don�t have). BUT, we stayed up on a mountain until sundown (his insistence), had a great time, and made each other laugh a lot with stories during the down times. He is really patient and a great little hunting partner. I can�t wait to get him a better opportunity.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am tentatively planning to take him caribou hunting in northern Alaska in a couple of years when he is 12.

His little brother will be jealous, but his time will come:

[Linked Image]

He proudly built the cairn after climbing that mountain with us.

FWIW, they're better kids than I am a father, so they make it easy (probably got it from mom).

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A hunting family is the tightest circle there is. Well done.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A hunting family is the tightest circle there is. Well done.
John

So true John.

MH your photos of your son while hunting, reminds me of my son and I when he was your son's age. All I can tell you is, enjoy your time with your children. The time goes by so fast, my son is now 34.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Making the kid go out with a Browning hat and a rifle with a bipod?

That's child abuse!
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Nice bull! That will make book.

It is a very nice bull, but will not come close to making book. Not suggesting there is anything wrong with the moose, but the right side has no point up near the top to match the main single up there so the palm length will be taken from way down at the second point.

Second, the palm width is not going to be particularly wide, the long points add absolutely nothing on moose.

Width was the ONLY measure used in the very early days of B&C and it has been given far more credit than it deserves as a result.

Again, absolutely no disrespect toward the moose, but it is no Booner.

No disrespect taken Sitka. Thanks for the info. I know very little about the B&C requirements, and you seem to know a lot about them; so I assume you're correct. I'll have it scored just to see what it is, but it's not going to make me sad if it's just a big moose-head on my wall, invoking good memories and maybe inspiring my kids to hunt.

Again, it's not the most important thing to me, but my guide visited the moose yesterday with a tape measure, and here are the comments he sent me:

"The minimum score for a AK-Yukon Moose to qualify for the All-Time B&C record book is 224. After deductions, your bull net scored 231, qualifying by 7 points. The gross score was 235. The only deductions were�1 point for the left palm length being one inch shorter than the right palm length�.and a three point deduction between the 14 pts on the right side vs the 17 pts on the left side. After the 60 day drying period, it will still very easily qualify. While an official B&C scoring representative may measure slight differences on some measurements, the bull will certainly have an official score greater than 224. Great, wonderful bull moose."

It's always possible that he's wrong, but he's never showed any such dishonesty or incompetence in the past. I'll have it officially scored in November.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Making the kid go out with a Browning hat and a rifle with a bipod?

That's child abuse!
smile

I've already turned myself in to child protective services.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Nice bull! That will make book.

It is a very nice bull, but will not come close to making book. Not suggesting there is anything wrong with the moose, but the right side has no point up near the top to match the main single up there so the palm length will be taken from way down at the second point.

Second, the palm width is not going to be particularly wide, the long points add absolutely nothing on moose.

Width was the ONLY measure used in the very early days of B&C and it has been given far more credit than it deserves as a result.

Again, absolutely no disrespect toward the moose, but it is no Booner.

No disrespect taken Sitka. Thanks for the info. I know very little about the B&C requirements, and you seem to know a lot about them; so I assume you're correct. I'll have it scored just to see what it is, but it's not going to make me sad if it's just a big moose-head on my wall, invoking good memories and maybe inspiring my kids to hunt.

Again, it's not the most important thing to me, but my guide visited the moose yesterday with a tape measure, and here are the comments he sent me:

"The minimum score for a AK-Yukon Moose to qualify for the All-Time B&C record book is 224. After deductions, your bull net scored 231, qualifying by 7 points. The gross score was 235. The only deductions were�1 point for the left palm length being one inch shorter than the right palm length�.and a three point deduction between the 14 pts on the right side vs the 17 pts on the left side. After the 60 day drying period, it will still very easily qualify. While an official B&C scoring representative may measure slight differences on some measurements, the bull will certainly have an official score greater than 224. Great, wonderful bull moose."

It's always possible that he's wrong, but he's never showed any such dishonesty or incompetence in the past. I'll have it officially scored in November.

Outstanding! I personally do not see it, but a guy with the tape in hand always has the upper hand! wink You guys must be a bit taller than average is my only chance at an excuse!

Again, congratulations!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice post Art.

Was that so hard? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding! I personally do not see it, but a guy with the tape in hand always has the upper hand! wink You guys must be a bit taller than average is my only chance at an excuse!

Again, congratulations!

Thanks Sitka. Many genuine thanks for the kind words. I'll get the official numbers on a couple of months, but it looks like there is at least enough margin for error on our side. We'll see. This is what he measured:

Greatest Spread: 71�
Number of Abnormal Points: 0
Number of Normal Points Right Antler: 14
Number of Normal Points Left Antler: 17
Width of Right Palm: 16-1/2�
Width of Left Palm: 16-1/2�
Length of Right Palm: 43�
Length of Left Palm: 42�
Smallest Circumference of Right Antler: 7 6/8�
Smallest Circumference of Left Antler: 7 6/8�

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Heckuva nice moose! Congrats, glad I got to see him regardless of what he scores.

PB, my last two moose died via 120 gr. tsx outa 7mm-08

and no they weren't 70 inchers.

but moose die when hit in the right spot with a good bullet, been my experience anyway.

Total bullschit overkill!!! Riley killed his big bull last year with an 80gr TTSX. If you had a single hair on your azz you would move down a third in bullet weight! Chicken!

lm(hairless)ao!

just saw this

gonna have to stay with the 120 grainer's Art, after this last wax job (yes I read the thread about shaving the nether regions grin)

side's Riley's a better man than me, hear tell he had a better sire.

love readin of that kid's exploits

but damn if he wasn't a cute dinosaur

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kodiak?.......yeah....Ill concur with a .338 mag. A .300 mag has
put down a lot too, but most will opt for more bullet weight.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Desertrat
Kodiak?.......yeah....Ill concur with a .338 mag. A .300 mag has
put down a lot too, but most will opt for more bullet weight.

Where do you get off steering this back on topic?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A highly educational thread for this novice, thank you gents. That was probably worth $34.99 off Amazon.

Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.