Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This is Tarna, the same little heeler/sheepdog mutt in my avatar, that pic being at least ten years old as she's twelve now. Found as a sickly, worm-infested pup in a roadside stand in South Texas and purchased for $15 (and that was the White guy price). The best dog I will ever own.

A dog which quietly studies any given situation and figures out her role in it. I can bring her into the woods all day and never have to say a word (she responds to hand signals) while she goes out on point and quietly alerts me to all manner of critters. Sleep out in the woods and she'll sit up and keep watch. Run into a feral hog and she'll put herself between you and it. Only thing is better leash her when coyotes lurk around the campsite or she'll charge 'em if they come too close.

Of late another of her roles has been to graciously accept the attentions of all manner of little kids at the playground who come over and pet her. I'd not trust too many dogs at the other end of a leash from a four year-old and of course our grandchild loves her (doesn't hurt any that leashes are redundant when it comes to this dog).

[Linked Image]

One of those dogs that will leave a big hole when she passes on.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Had one of those myself, until just last year or so. Darn dog was the best I ever had. Probably will not get another. She only made it ten years. The most gentle, intelligent dog ever. Had a need to please, too. Damn good girl.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Darn dog was the best I ever had. Probably will not get another.

The thing is.... I dunno where to FIND another. Good dogs can be found, but GREAT dogs? Thats a whole different matter.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best friends are hard to come by BW, I'm glad you found one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BW

Whereever you got her, try placing an ad in the little local newspaper nearby for what youre looking for.

Maybe it will hit, maybe it wont.

Nothing to lose.

Last edited by WillARights; 09/29/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the great ones you wish would outlive you.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank for introducing us to Tarna. She looks like a great little dog. Man, we get so attached to our dogs! My current mutt is Pixie the Wonderbeagle. Absolutely worthless as a hunting dog, but as most dogs do, she just wormed her way into our hearts and is a big part of the family now. Cathy runs a pre-school out of our house, and Pixie's the start attraction. The kids just love her, and she puts up with all the tugging on her ears, and the power-petting very well. They have a morning meeting of sorts that Cathy calls Circle Time, and if Pixie happens to be upstairs away from the kids, she some how knows when it's time to go to the kids. They all sit in a circle on the floor, and Pixie's right there with 'em. Like others have said, it's gonna be very hard when she goes away.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Whereever you got her, try placing an ad in the little local newspaper nearby for what youre looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion but this was in a roadside stand outside a feed store in a poor rural area, mostly Hispanic. It is my understanding that that place just crated up out front random puppies and kittens whelped in the neighborhood, no shots or guarantees of such. I dunno what happens to the ones that don't sell.

I bought Tarna because even as a flea-infested ten week-old pup with a hard and swollen belly due to hookworms she was looking out at the world from that dirty crate with the exact same good natured, interested expression evident in the pic. When we got her home she crapped out lettuce and fragments of Styrofoam, obviously had been fed on leftovers. First stop was the vet of course, improvement was immediate the next day once she crapped out a bunch of worms.

Possibly my favorite pic of Tarna in action. Five or six years back in New Mexico, Dog Canyon, one January dawn. It was cold, we had slept out under those wool blankets, the dog curled up by my shoulder.

I about jumped out of my skin when she suddenly went off at a lurking coyote, and did so again another three or four times in the night, her leashed to my wrist. Here she is at first light, still on the job.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can you breed her? Do you have a friend with a heeler or Aussie with a like disposition?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best dog I ever was around looked similar and had a similar story.

Bug was found roadside as a pup in AZ. Border collie cross of some flavor. She was one of those gentle souls that just new her place, never had to be told twice, and never curled a lip that wasn't warranted.

She is probably 11-12 years on now. Haven't seen her in five or so.

Congrats on a fine dog, Birdy.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best advice on dogs i wver got. Let the dog pick you, you'll know it when it happens.

When I went and looked at my lab. I was holding his brother, the one I eventually picked, came over and pissed on my sneaker. I put the one dowm and said that one there, the one that pissed on me, he's the one...he's been my best friend for eleven years

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great dog is a marvelous thing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knowing the OP it simply confirms dogs are good judges of character smile

One trainer once recommended, when looking at pups, take a small/appropriate size ball with you, and toss it for the pup. If he brings it to you, that's one sign of a dog that wants to please.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The thing is.... I dunno where to FIND another. Good dogs can be found, but GREAT dogs? That's a whole different matter.

Birdwatcher

Sometime in your future try out a setter. Rocky is 105 pounds of gentile love. He also points. wink

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is Tarna, the same little heeler/sheepdog mutt in my avatar, that pic being at least ten years old as she's twelve now. Found as a sickly, worm-infested pup in a roadside stand in South Texas and purchased for $15 (and that was the White guy price). The best dog I will ever own.

A dog which quietly studies any given situation and figures out her role in it. I can bring her into the woods all day and never have to say a word (she responds to hand signals) while she goes out on point and quietly alerts me to all manner of critters. Sleep out in the woods and she'll sit up and keep watch. Run into a feral hog and she'll put herself between you and it. Only thing is better leash her when coyotes lurk around the campsite or she'll charge 'em if they come too close.

Of late another of her roles has been to graciously accept the attentions of all manner of little kids at the playground who come over and pet her. I'd not trust too many dogs at the other end of a leash from a four year-old and of course our grandchild loves her (doesn't hurt any that leashes are redundant when it comes to this dog).

[Linked Image]

One of those dogs that will leave a big hole when she passes on.

Birdwatcher

That dog has a permanent smile. What a great girl she is! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Damn few things in life are on par with a good dog.

Congrats for finding one friend.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

The thing is.... I dunno where to FIND another. Good dogs can be found, but GREAT dogs? Thats a whole different matter.

Birdwatcher

Birdie,

Great dogs are made, not found.

I would estimate that half of the dogs in the world would be great dogs with enough time, training, love, and attention.

When you start talking heelers.......the odds go up far beyond 50%.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The herding breeds are brainy little beasts, and as long as we people help keep most of their IQ points occupied they make great dogs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When that time comes, head on down to the local shelter. Take your time, look into their eyes and you'll know. Cause one will pick you. Just like that flea bit wormy pup did years ago.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I know how you feel. I have one that will be 10 in December.

I got lucky for my first dog. She picked me out of the litter and we've had an unbelievable connection ever since. You would swear she's 3/4 human.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Birdwatcher

Mike, I know you'll find another. Maybe not her twin, but another wonder dog. They are reflections, after all. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the kind comments all.

A Tarna collage...

Tarna around 1 year old, the other two dogs are passed on now...

[Linked Image]

...about three, the phone photo that is my avatar...

[Linked Image]

...about five, Whiteface Mountain NY...

[Linked Image]

...maybe seven, Lincoln National Forest New Mexico...

[Linked Image]

following year Upstate New York...

[Linked Image]

...age eight, I was marking bird survey points in blistering July heat, we had to take refuge in a shady ravine to cool down for a bit...

[Linked Image]

Two years ago, turns out Tarna also does reenacting, here as an 1840's Texian mutt, that is an original Paterson I'm holding... cool

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/frontierfolk/tarnacolt.jpg[/img]

Just this weekend, aging gracefully in her latest role; gentle companion of a beloved grandchild...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/IMG_43142_zps2dde9002.jpg[/img]

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Mike, I know you'll find another. Maybe not her twin, but another wonder dog. They are reflections, after all.

Ya well, take it from me, some reflections are dimmer and sorta out of focus grin

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Birdy, I figure you could go in a pound and if there was a great prospect there you would be able to pick it out.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What a sweetheart.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep. When that time comes, you will know the next one is before you.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is a beautiful doggie.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Birdwatcher

Birdie,

Great dogs are made, not found.

I would estimate that half of the dogs in the world would be great dogs with enough time, training, love, and attention.

When you start talking heelers.......the odds go up far beyond 50%.

Yup, I wish the AKC would leave what's left of the REAL ones (Heelers) alone.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, I wish the AKC would leave what's left of the REAL ones (Heelers) alone.

Ya got that right, I have learned to avoid the letters "AKC" like the plague.

Anyways....

Us bringing our heelers on visits back east to NY State resulted in the Birdwatcher clan switching to the type. Wish I had a better shot of the heeler we bought for my sister and her three sons, this one is now an indispensible member of their family. Goofily sweet in personality, and smart as a whip of course....

[Linked Image]

My sister, with Tarna in mind, had the wits to arrange a cross between that dog and a good Australian sheepdog a friend owned. I've related before how one of the pups thereof grew up to likely save the life of his owner by driving a big heifer off of her that had backed her into a corner in the barn and which was repeatedly butting her. The dog jumped onto the heifer's neck and bit it around the ears, causing it to run off.

This here is another one of those heeler/Aussie pups from that same litter, my other sister's dog, maybe 40lbs, which might possibly be the best dog in our whole clan...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's some good lookin' dogs, Mike. My daughter
was fortunate to rescue an excellent dog that
I get to keep half the time as she travels for work.
All the luck to you!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had to put down Zorro, my 15 year old mixed black lab/golden retriever, the best dog I have ever owned. Not worth a damn as a hunting fog, he hated loud noise and water. But the gentlest, sweetest dog I have ever known, who just loved everyone. He had a stroke or seizure over a year ago, and I thought I was going to have to put him down then. But he rallied, got to eating, and could move around pretty well, although he was about blind and appeared to be deaf.Last week he just stopped eating, shi** ting and every thing. It's tough to say good bye to an animal who's been your friend and companion that long. I told the vet "I've known that dog almost as long as I've known my wife." My thoughts are with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An ol' mean, biting, dog won't keep nobody away from your place but your friends.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice tribute to a fine friend. Well said....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.