Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Getting back out to where I need my 629 and wondering about a barrel swap.

When I purchased this pistol, it came with the original barrel which is ported and a factory non-ported barrel. How difficult is it to swap barrels? Could I trust most any gunsmith to do this and not bugger it up?

I'd also have to have him swap the front site or put a new one on.

Suggestions??

Thanks.

Montana MOFO
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Same caliber?

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Of course.
Spare barrel I have was the original barrel for this gun. It got a little mar on it when someone swapped sites so the guy returned it to smith for a new barrel.

I'm considering putting the original barrel back on with the port and curious if I could trust any gunsmith to do the swap?

Montana MOFO
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would not trust "any" gunsmith. I prefer to use handgunsmith's on my handguns. Or, at times, the factory.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is it pinned or are the threads crush fit? Crush fit may be a problem. Pinned not so much. If it came off the gun, it should be able to go back on. You don't need a gunsmith for that operation. You need a few tools any man should have in his work area.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Personally I would take it to a gunsmith who has a barrel vise and the proper Delrin inserts that fit the frame and protect it from being warped or marred by the wrench when turning it off the barrel. The idea of trying to use the old vise in the garage, some scrap wood to cushion the barrel and a hammer handle to turn off the frame fills me with fear. I've seen warped revolver frames and they are not repairable.

The barrel, if original to the revolver, should fit properly if correctly indexed to the frame.

Most of the serious gunsmiths I have worked with have had the equipment to do this job properly, at a reasonable cost and probably while you wait.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/29/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Is it pinned or are the threads crush fit? Crush fit may be a problem. Pinned not so much. If it came off the gun, it should be able to go back on. You don't need a gunsmith for that operation. You need a few tools any man should have in his work area.

Sorry, but I assume my post displays my lack of knowledge on these things.

I am traveling now, or I would post a picture of the original barrel which is off the gun now.

The barrel is threaded with no evidence of anywhere to pin it if that helps.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And if you need hernia surgery no need to see a Doctor. All you need is a sharp pocket knife and a good bottle of whiskey.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Sorry, but I assume my post displays my lack of knowledge on these things.

I am traveling now, or I would post a picture of the original barrel which is off the gun now.

The barrel is threaded with no evidence of anywhere to pin it if that helps.

A "pinned" barrel will have a lateral groove on the top front part of the threads, and the revolver frame will have a transverse hole through the frame in front of the cylinder opening on the top edge of the threaded hole where the barrel screws in. When the barrel is fully seated in the frame, a pin is inserted through the hole to lock the barrel and frame together. S&W revolvers used pinned barrels until about 25 years ago or so.

Recent S&W revolvers no longer have the pin, so there will be no groove on the barrel threads and no hole through the frame. The barrel threads are a tight fit in the frame and there will probably be more effort required to remove or install an unpinned "crush fit" barrel.

Let a professional do it.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/30/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try Ahlman's in Morristown, Mn. They were recommended to me by 260remguy here on the 'fire. They did a switch out (6" to a 4") on a 629-3 for me. Turn-around was about three weeks, decent price, and they did an excellent job. Mikeahlman's.com if you want to email or Ahlman's.com is their website.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

You ever swap out a front sight on a 629?

R
R
Clark's Custom Guns in Haugthon, Louisiana has done this for me before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most gunsmiths ought to be able to handle that. That's really quite a simple job.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by EdM

You ever swap out a front sight on a 629?

The barrels have the sights, why would it need to be swapped out?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Per the OP.

"I'd also have to have him swap the front site or put a new one on."

Hence my comment. It is a milling job just to change the blade as it is integral to the base, at least on my two early 629's it is.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ah, I see the light. Actually, it's a milling job if you want it done quickly. It can actually be done with hand tools and a nice dove tail...also quite possible with hand tools. It can also be done with hand tools and silver solder...But I digress.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

92 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 974 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.