gulch he jumped up and took off again. He
hit him again and piled him up, so we got the
buck all right but that 139-grain 7 mm had
failed to do the job. It had cleared the spinal
cord for over an inch and yet it hadn't put
him down to stay. He was able to get up and
run.

Elmer Keith???

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That's from "Hell I Was There". I had a raised eyebrow when I read that too.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I see you have met my brother in law.
Originally Posted by laker
Had an I&E Foreman tell us the other day that he has a .308 that he can do a 5 shot group into a quarter at 2,000 yards. But it gets better. He then went on to tell us that he bought this .22 long rifle from a pawn shop that was specifically built for the boy scouts that will put 3 shots into the same hole at 1,000 yards but it will only do it with subsonics. After that I couldn't hold back anymore and told him he was full of schit.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I had to read it twice.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A few years ago I spent an hour at a Gander Mountain in Bowling Green,KY..I had to seriously ponder my gun control stance after that..

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by logdog
Shooting a groundhog at about 300yrds with 22-250 he missed he said that there was a blade of grass right in front of the hog said the bullet exploded when it hit that grass. Cause the 22-250 is so fast it can't hit grass. I figure the bullet must have been traveling right around 5000fps at 300yrds to do that lol.

I will tell a experience that I had with a 22-250 of mine that might explain this guys story. I got a wild hair of trying to match 220 swift performance with my 22-250 so I got a box of 45gr sx bullets and was loading close to 4000fps.. I would get. A super group going and then one bullet would completely miss the paper. Checked the scope etc and then my buddy was shooting it and I noticed what looked like a vapor trail coming from the barrel . Sure enough the little sx bullets were so soft that some would disintegrate leaving the barrel.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
As a kid growing up, my family lived on venison. And Dad was passionate about keeping the freezer full. He shot at everything that moved with a Rem 760 in 30-06. At first he used the iron sights, and then he moved up to a 3-9 Scopecheif IV.

One day he was plugging away at some deer over 600 yds away. He finally walked the rounds onto target and knocked one or two over.

The B S part was what he had to say about his buddy's 308.

"That POS could not even reach those deer. The 308 is the sorriest excuse for a cartridge that ever existed."

I attempted to explain the actual marginal ballistic differences between factory '06 and the 308 ammo to no avail.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hear lots of tales at gun shows, a few months back a guy was selling a Stevens Model 200 in 308 to a vendor and the seller told him with a serious look on his face that he was a sniper in the Vietnam War and they were issued Stevens Model 200s in 308. The vendor bought the rifle for $125.00.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by ingwe
A 'customer' once told me of his custom 1886 winchester in 45-70�it would shoot 4inch groups at 1100 yards...

Just have to throw this in:

The minimum acceptable accuracy of the .45-70 from the 1873 Springfield was approximately 4 inches (100 mm) at 100 yards (91 m), however, the heavy, slow-moving bullet had a "rainbow" trajectory, the bullet dropping multiple yards (meters) at ranges greater than a few hundred yards (meters). A skilled shooter, firing at known range, could consistently hit targets that were 6 � 6 feet (1.8 m) at 600 yards (550 m)�the Army standard target. It was a skill valuable mainly in mass or volley fire, since accurate aimed fire on a man-sized target was effective only to about 300 yards (270 m).

After the Sandy Hook tests of 1879, a new variation of the .45-70 cartridge was produced: the .45-70-500, which fired a heavier 500 grain (32.5 g) bullet. The heavier 500-grain (32 g) bullet produced significantly superior ballistics, and could reach ranges of 3,350 yards (3,120 m), which were beyond the maximum range of the .45-70-405. While the effective range of the .45-70 on individual targets was limited to about 1,000 yards (915 m) with either load, the heavier bullet would produce lethal injuries at 3,500 yards (3,200 m). At those ranges, the bullets struck point-first at a roughly 30 degree angle, penetrating three 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick oak boards, and then traveling to a depth of 8 inches (20 cm) into the sand of the Sandy Hook beach*. It was hoped the longer range of the .45-70-500 would allow effective volley fire at ranges beyond those normally expected of infantry fire.[5]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My favorite gun store encounter:

After the rifle was handed to the customer, he inquired of the counter help who'd just mounted his scope, "Why are these bases not sitting flush with the receiver?" The counter man replied, "Well, if they were flush the screw heads would all shear off before you got it sighted in."

That customer turned to me with conviction and said, "Wow, that guy really knows his stuff!"

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 280shooter
This one made it to print:
On the '34 trip, I again saw a 7x57 Mauser
fail miserably on mule deer. The president of
KNX's brother-in-law carried this rifle. I for-
got his name. Anyway I got him a shot at an
awful nice buck with a good head at about
250 yards across a gulch. He hit him in the
neck and it took off a vertebra and over an
inch of the spinal cord. The buck dropped
and laid there, and while we were crossing the
gulch he jumped up and took off again. He
hit him again and piled him up, so we got the
buck all right but that 139-grain 7 mm had
failed to do the job. It had cleared the spinal
cord for over an inch and yet it hadn't put
him down to stay. He was able to get up and
run.

It was this sot of thing that caused me to be skeptical of anything Keith wrote..clearly the agenda was that if the vertebrae and inch of spinal cord had been blown away by a 333 OKH and 250 gr whoosis bullet, all would have been well with the world.Sometimes I think he made stuff up just to get a rise out of readers....and push an agenda. Many of his readers believed this nonsense...I bumped into more than few.

Despite his knowledge,I found you really had to sift through his writing to find the truth...this sort of stuff in print destroyed his credibility with lots of folks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He did have several that made me scratch my head and wonder. Overall, I enjoyed his writing and one of my regrets is not taking the time to drive up to Salmon and meet him in person. I think that would have been enjoyable and educational.

P.S. And I do thank him every time I shoot my .44 mag.

Last edited by 280shooter; 09/30/14.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just heard one today. Guys sneaks up on a bull moose with a BB gun. Bull is knee deep with his snout under water grazing of something good. Guy shoots him in the balls with the BB gun, moose inhales and gags, drowning on the water....

I couldn't even muster a laff at that one...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just heard one today. Guys sneaks up on a bull moose with a BB gun. Bull is knee deep with his snout under water grazing of something good. Guy shoots him in the balls with the BB gun, moose inhales and gags, drowning on the water....

I couldn't even muster a laff at that one...

At last! An answer to the ammo shortage.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I took a walk on my 5 acre property and got lost. - Jeff O

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not funny. Thats why he hasn't been posting....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still, it was one of the most astounding tales I've read in quite awhile. Grown man/girl lost on 5 ac? I thought, "It can't be true!", but then it was Jeff, a Twilight Zone legend. Only the Shadow knows.

I heard he wasn't posting because he proposed to Boxer.

Honest Injun. Would I lie to you? She said.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Ugh...just heard a doozey...

Coworker: "My ex-girlfriend's daddy had a badazz rifle. It was a .375 H&H Mag...but it was necked down to hold a .30 cal bullet!

There is such a cartridge, sort of, the 30-378 Weatherby. It uses the 378 Weatherby case which is larger than a 375 H&H.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/ammunition/cartridges/40332

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
It would shoot like 8000fps. It was AMAZINGLY fast for a .30 cal. You could sight it in at 200 yards and hit anything holding dead on all the way out to 600 yards or more. And when he shot hawgs with it the hole left was amazing. You could stick both hands in the hole...or your whole arm. He paid, like, $5000 for this rifle. It was a Weatherby special."

Some of the details are exaggerated, but the 30-378 Weatherby is amazingly fast for a 30 caliber and does shoot extremely flat. Perhaps not quite as fast nor flat as stated, but....

Last edited by natman; 10/01/14.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep...and the .300 Weatherby actually is a .375 H&H necked down and blown out.

In either iteration, it don't come close to touching 8K.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a big box store I overheard the 'genius' clerk telling a customer that you NEVER wanted to use bronze brushes in a rifle barrel as the bronze, being harder than steel, would 'rub the grooves' out of your rifle.
When the clerk left to go find some nylon brushes I walked off.smh

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.