Print Thread
Hop To
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
As I and my hunting partner ((my wife)) grow older, we're looking for assistance in dragging elk kills back to vicinity of our truck. ((Our combined age is 140.))

We've owned a "Slicker 'N Snot"
dragging sled/device for some time, but have never used it.

Anyone of you folks used one to assist in dragging a 1/2 elk at a time out? How'd it work?

Is it low friction? Any trouble lashing 1/2 elk on it?

We generally cut our elk into halves, cut crossways, not lengthways, leaving the hide ON for cleanliness.

Or izzit more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks folks...

Lee and Louise

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bone it on site, toss it in bags, toss bags in sled, and go......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22

^^^^^

This. Takes extra time, but you don't end up packing 150 lbs of skin and bone out of the hills. Doing it Alaskan style, you can get it done in a couple hours.

Im even starting to do deer that way, now that Im old and feeble.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/28/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22

+1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yup, or.......

onto the pack mule!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is that one of those stiff plastic sheets that you wrap around a deer and drag it? It would be better than dragging on the hair but it's far from easy. When dragging, you still have the weight plus you have the friction. Dragging can be fairly easy going downhill but on the flat or uphill things get much harder very fast.
I'm 66 and have concluded that unless it's all downhill, it's easier to backpack than it is to drag. A few years ago I conceded to the calendar and got me some pack llamas. A couple elk and 4 or 5 deer later, I'm convinced that they can do it a lot easier than I can.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is that one of those stiff plastic sheets that you wrap around a deer and drag it?

More or less, yes. It's pretty stiff material, and .065 inch thick. Not really "wrappable" like you'd wrap a spud with foil prior to insertion into a campfire.

It can be rolled into a semi-cylindrical shape. It's 3 X 6 foot rectangle, pointed at 1 end, with metal grommets spaced all around the perimeter.

Lee and Louise Denver CO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming you have some young trees around, build a travois and put the tarp on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee,

If you are hunting when there is snow on the ground, I always one of those $10 plastic toboggan sleds and loop some rope in the holes and some cut tubing/hose with the rope through it as a handle. It moves meat pretty easy. It works okay even when there isn't snow.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 09/28/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
fjlee,

My wife and I aren't quite as far along as you and yours, but I decided a couple of years ago that after years of using packframes and toboggans wasn�t as good as the old invention known as the wheel�the exception being a toboggan on snow.

Had used a cheap game cart with a wheel on each side for level-ground hunting for a few years, but then found out about an in-line called the Neet-Kart (www.neetkart.com), originally developed for getting injured humans out of the backcountry where anything else was impractical. Because of the in-line wheels it can not only handle sidehills but go over rocks and logs up to a foot high. Have now used it on game from pronghorns to elk and like it a lot. It�s kinda pricey but in our experience well worth it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've also used a cheap "kiddie" sled/toboggan when by myself. Actually slides easy on pine needles, rocks, and snow. Not so good on dry dirt and grass.
As has been said, loose the hide and bone and the loads get much lighter. Takes a little longer, but once ya start draggin', you'll be happy you did.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A wheeled cart is good on the flat or downhill. There's nothing that works good on uphill unless it has 4 good legs and eats hay.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On deer, might want to think a bit. I killed a Wyoming mule deer in Griz country and decided to pack it out in one trip. Busted it up into quarters and left the bone in for ease in lashing to frame. . Figgerd a deer would weigh about 40#. Silly me. Got the pack on and went for 2.2 miles w/o taking the pack off. I knew if I did I wouldn't get going again. Weighed the meat at home - 70#. Bones - lower leg, thigh and front leg and shoulder bones - weighed only 7.5#! I was surprised. Leaving the bones in makes it easier to lash the meat to a frame, and not at that much cost. On deer, I am going bone in. And will shoot LIGHTER animals ;-)

Anyone else weight their deer bones?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know your terrain, but I have moved big nilgai with a standard wheelbarrow. I attached a hook at the front, then rigged a harness system so my son could wear the harness and pull like a horse, while I pushed and kept it steady. We have moved animals several miles using this method.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BRISTECD,

That would work, but the problem in steeper terrain is a lack of brakes--one feature of the Neet Kart that really helps. It has a hand brake like a bicycle, which not only helps keep it under control when going downhill but allows time for taking breathers on uphills.

My wife killed the cow down in a fair-sized draw. Going uphill out of the draw we'd go as far as Eileen wanted, then I'd hold the brake until we were ready to go again.

The other nice part of the design is that since it was originally made to haul injured people (who can weigh 200+ pounds) it can be laid down on its side, and the load lashed onto the frame. Then you grab the handlebars on the uphill side and pull to raise it upright, without that much effort.

You can find a number of reviews on the Internet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have used a sled for moving cargo and bodies on snow quite a bit. On level ground there is nothing better when used w/ a good waist harness and rigid poles. On downhills look to U. S. ski patrol for tips. The Scandanavians have been doing it for centuries, I think the Fins and Norskis call them pulks. I dragged a Mountainsmith sled up a few Alaskan peaks and found them to be the best . They had a rudder which allowed them to be used on sidehills. Kifaru is Patrick Smiths latest incarnation but I don't know if he still makes the sleds. I too am of a certain age and would suggest you use caution when using a sled down hill on snow. An iceaxe is essential gear unless you just turn it loose and catch up at the bottom of the hill.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know some 29 year old (me) who loves killing elk of all sizes (love the meat) and actually ENJOYS packing out elk.... Crazy [bleep].... time too add a hunting partner!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
M.D. I saw the Cody, Wy. SAR crew headed out the North Fork last spring and they had a version w/ a Single wheel in the center of a litter w/ what looked like a Mt. bike suspension and handbrakes. It would require 2 people but looked very practical.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BRISTECD,

That would work, but the problem in steeper terrain is a lack of brakes--one feature of the Neet Kart that really helps. It has a hand brake like a bicycle, which not only helps keep it under control when going downhill but allows time for taking breathers on uphills.

My wife killed the cow down in a fair-sized draw. Going uphill out of the draw we'd go as far as Eileen wanted, then I'd hold the brake until we were ready to go again.

The other nice part of the design is that since it was originally made to haul injured people (who can weigh 200+ pounds) it can be laid down on its side, and the load lashed onto the frame. Then you grab the handlebars on the uphill side and pull to raise it upright, without that much effort.

You can find a number of reviews on the Internet.

Yes, I can see where having brakes on steep terrain would be a benefit. Not too many hills in South Texas. I do like the fact that it looks like it has a bigger tire which might make for a smoother roll, but then again, everything down here has a thorn so if it is a bicycle type tire it won't last long. LOL

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have plenty of thorns in the smaller cactus we have here in Montana, which are all over in pronghorn country, and not always easy to spot before you run over 'em! I installed the tire sealant Slime in the tires on my NK and have had no problems. In fact the first time I used it was hauling a couple of pronghorns out. Haven't had a flat yet.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.