Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9217222 09/29/14
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
486 grains at 305 fps, now to get hair in front of those pins.

Trump Won!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pins? I don't need no stinking pins! I shoot stick bows! Seven Lakes Longbow, 50#@ 29", Three Rivers cedar shafts, three 4" rh feather fletching, glue-on Magnus 125gr two-blade broad heads that will cut you just looking at them. grin

Pins....I need them like I need training wheels... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm trying an old PSE wheelbow this weekend...and yes it's probably at least 25 years old. semi-old school

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's an extraordinary level of power!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by gunner500

Be mindful of what is behind the animal!!

What are you shooting?

AB

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alex_Beasley

What are you shooting? AB

Knowing Gunner, he's probably throwing them at the deer. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ed, LOL, I have a stick bow too, but hate the hubcap sized groups at 15 yards, I'm just not 'mystical' enough to be the flight of the 'arrow'. grin

Tex, that will work, they take an extraordinary level of patience and practice.

JJ, she's a 'buster' for sure.

AB, shooting an old 2007 Mathews Black Max II with max pull and a turbo cam, my draw length is about 31"s, arrows are easton axis 300's @ 10.7 gpi, broadheads are the 125 gr G5 Striker Magnums.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

What are you shooting? AB

Ed

laugh

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Ed

Good lord Gunner!

31" draw .... do you get an inordinate amount of requests from your buddies to help follow blood trails so that they then have your help getting animals out of the woods?!

I really like those 125gr G5 Strikers. I have used them with my setup that pushes a 440gr at a little over 300fps and they blow through stuff!

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, yes, my bow feels about 1" short as is, but I think that's as far as it will go at around 30"s.

Correct on the 'drag buds' too. laugh

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Screw that,...94 degrees, sweat runnning down your butt-crack and swatting at mosqitoes isn't my idea of hunting...

You go have all the fun you can stand...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I will, in SE Montana this weekend.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Knowing Gunner, he's probably throwing them at the deer. grinEd
.... do you get an inordinate amount of requests from your buddies to help follow blood trails so that they then have your help getting animals out of the woods?!...

Gunner doesn't drag animals out of the field, he just picks them up, throws them over his shoulder and walks out. Unless he has two elk down at once, then he he will take time to field dress them first. grin

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ed, LOL, I have a stick bow too, but hate the hubcap sized groups at 15 yards, I'm just not 'mystical' enough to be the flight of the 'arrow'. grin...

Hubcaps are OK, wheel covers, now that's something entirely different. grin

It's just practice, Gunner. Consistent practice. Besides, as Fred Bear once said; "Anyone can shoot a perfect second shot, it's the first one that counts." He would shoot one arrow each morning off his back porch before coffee.

I typically don't shoot for groups. I have a round bale at 25 yards from my deck and pick a spot on it to shoot at. Rarely will I pick the same spot twice. I also don't shoot for more than fifteen minutes at at time without taking a break.

Ed

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gunner, if I might suggest... teeny tiny aiming point to shoot stick bows... I started putting part of an arrow shaft in the target and trying to touch or hit it every shot... up close... and moving back. Amazing what you can do if you make the target really hard.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A LOT!!!!! of practice Ed, the angle/cant, all come in to play here. mad

Very aggravating at times. lol

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Gunner, if I might suggest... teeny tiny aiming point to shoot stick bows... I started putting part of an arrow shaft in the target and trying to touch or hit it every shot... up close... and moving back. Amazing what you can do if you make the target really hard.

Now I know what those two very short arrows are for that came with my Toelke Montana whip longbow crazy, Thanks Rost.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It just can help the concentration... you know..aim at a single hair, not an area or the whole deer...

We used to play tag all the time. Someone shoot an arrow into the edge of the target, as close as you dare, and then everyone else needed to touch that arrow. You could get lucky fletch to fletch...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
It just can help the concentration... you know..aim at a single hair, not an area or the whole deer...
We used to play tag all the time. Someone shoot an arrow into the edge of the target, as close as you dare, and then everyone else needed to touch that arrow. You could get lucky fletch to fletch...

This is a game we also play, except we call it "Chase the Rabbit". We do it out stump shooting as well as on the round bale.

When I mentioned picking a spot on the bale, I meant a single piece of straw or a small shadow.

My nieces and nephew were here all last week and we shot bows every day. Our favorite target was the 4" water balloons you get from WalMart. I taught them to pick a spot on the balloon, most likely the lightest spot on the balloon and shoot for it. Even the seven year old got quite adept from 10 yards. Once the balloon was broken, then we switched to shooting at the piece of the balloon that was left on the pin.
My 11 year old nephew and his 15 year old sister were good back to 20 yards by the end of the week.

When I start practicing after a break, I don't worry so much about the cant of the bow as I do anchor point and release.

Going back and forth from using a string release to fingers has caused me much grief over the years. That may be part of the issue with the "hubcap" groups. grin

Ed

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have never been good with a tab. I run a glove IF I run anything and to be honest I shot a LOT with fingers only. I prefer the feel. But its heck on fingers but lucky I shoot only mid 50s for draw.

I have never much worried about cant, assuming the arrow is almost on top of your knuckles as it should be for me, its never made that much of a difference. Pick the hair, hit it fine, hit close to it even with a cant and its still almost always "good enough"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.