Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Pearce did a great write up on reloading for the .40 S&W. All loads were developed/tested in a G22.

He covers unsupported cases, cast bullets in the Glock barrel, etc.

It has a lot of good info in that one article. And a schit ton of load data.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I always find it unfair that a guy in montana gets his copy of handloader quicker than i do, when there corporate office is a couple blocks from my house in prescott. Just totally unfair.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I'll tell you what's unfair...

I don't have a subscription any more. And I had no idea this article was in the new issue. But my wife came home from getting groceries and said "I thought you'd want this since your subscription ran out."

I guess I can stop punching her now. She's got schit figured out.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like you aren't suffering to bad.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hey deflave, could you make a DVD set on How To Train da'Wife. Lol

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pearce is one of the few current writers that is worth a hoot, I always enjoy his articles on handguns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Professionally maybe, but there's always the recreational aspect of it that you can still enjoy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Professionally maybe, but there's always the recreational aspect of it that you can still enjoy.

It's pretty obvious you didn't just fall off the aviator truck.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking
Hey deflave, could you make a DVD set on How To Train da'Wife. Lol

First tell them you're me. Then glue my picture to your face.

INSTANT obedience.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Pearce is one of the few current writers that is worth a hoot, I always enjoy his articles on handguns.

I like his writing as well. He does a great job.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't get my copy yet either. I thought subscribers were supposed to get theirs before the retail outlets......... Thanks for the heads-up, Travis. Sounds like an interesting article. I need to know more about Glocks.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, if it matters to you guys....

Pearce rocks, being a local and all....

Regards,

Tom
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pearce did a great write up on reloading for the .40 S&W. All loads were developed/tested in a G22.

He covers unsupported cases, cast bullets in the Glock barrel, etc.

It has a lot of good info in that one article. And a schit ton of load data.

Travis

These days there is no better writer out their than Pierce IMO. No whining about what others say or believe. Just the facts as he demonstrates them. I just bought the issue yesterday. His work is always thorough to say the least.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forget the Sad & Wimpy 40 and the G22, whatever that is... Read his article/Loads on the Redhawk 45 Colt!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Online, 3 magazines for $20 a year, store on 1 terabyte backup drive, read as PDF file.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Joe at RealGuns much better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G-22 is okay, but, there is a G-23 out there and it's real nice.

Back on track==:-)

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Forget the Sad & Wimpy 40 and the G22, whatever that is... Read his article/Loads on the Redhawk 45 Colt!

Jerry

I don't think I could make it through one more article on the 45 Colt or 44 Mag.

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

pierce is one of my guru's. I also like a lot the .45colt, and it isn't like i am deficient in having vehicles to deliver that load. Having said that, I recently bought a redhawk in .45colt partially for those ruger only loads. Then i read pierce's article, talk about a hand cannon. Assuming i ever load any that hot. maybe for penetrating armor.
and it's still a boat anchor compared to a smith. But working the action a couple thousand times does seem to help.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/01/14.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DeFlave: Travis, by coincidence, at the recent Great Falls, Montana gunshow I picked up issue #3 of Handloader Magazine for a dollar!
It was new in September of 1966 (nearly half a century ago).
It has an article on the 44 Magnum pistol/cartridge and Hunting and reloading with the same, by... Elmer Keith!
In the lengthy article he relays specifics on his 600 yard shot on a Mule Deer Buck with one of his 44 Magnums!
If you have not read this article I think you would readily make it through "another article on the 44 Magnum".
This issue of Handloader Magazine has a wonderful picture of Elmer Keith lying on his back out in the sage flats (on a blanket) and he is propped up on one elbow sighting his 44 Magnum pistol down his shin at a distant target.
This issue also has an amazing 12 page piece written by P.O. Ackley on the "Amazing 17 Calibers" - if you are not familiar with that one it encompasses all manner of 17 centerfires and his pioneering work on same.
It also includes info and an amazing picture of a HUGE Alaskan Brown Bear killt with a 17 caliber centerfire.
If you want to read these super cool articles (and 15 more!) I could mail you this copy for your perusal (if you promise not to spew forth upon it!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG & Travis, I have this issue.. Excellent!!

Molon Labe
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DeFlave: Travis, by coincidence, at the recent Great Falls, Montana gunshow I picked up issue #3 of Handloader Magazine for a dollar!
It was new in September of 1966 (nearly half a century ago).
It has an article on the 44 Magnum pistol/cartridge and Hunting and reloading with the same, by... Elmer Keith!
In the lengthy article he relays specifics on his 600 yard shot on a Mule Deer Buck with one of his 44 Magnums!
If you have not read this article I think you would readily make it through "another article on the 44 Magnum".
This issue of Handloader Magazine has a wonderful picture of Elmer Keith lying on his back out in the sage flats (on a blanket) and he is propped up on one elbow sighting his 44 Magnum pistol down his shin at a distant target.
This issue also has an amazing 12 page piece written by P.O. Ackley on the "Amazing 17 Calibers" - if you are not familiar with that one it encompasses all manner of 17 centerfires and his pioneering work on same.
It also includes info and an amazing picture of a HUGE Alaskan Brown Bear killt with a 17 caliber centerfire.
If you want to read these super cool articles (and 15 more!) I could mail you this copy for your perusal (if you promise not to spew forth upon it!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

I have that article about .17's somewhere around here. I read it about five bajillion times when I was a wee 'flave.

As far as Elmer goes, I respect what he did as far as firearms advancement, but I can hardly stomach his writing, whether he is talking about the .44 or not.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
VG & Travis, I have this issue.. Excellent!!

The new one or the old one?

Travis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got one of Keith's books, Hell, I was There. Entertaining.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep, he was entertaining.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I liked some of his stories. Like shooting eagles.

Aside from that I think his writing is unbearable. The only reason I finished Hell I Was There was because I felt I had to.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't believe that Elmer actually "wrote" Hell, I was There, it was transcribed from audio tapes.

Boddington said that when he was Elmer's editor at G&A, Keith's typewritten submissions included a bunch of commas and periods at the end for the editor to insert wherever he saw fit. Evidently Elmer realized he wasn't a master of composition himself.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
It's not just his grammar or writing style. It's the fact that 90% of the story is about him. And what he did. And how incredible it was. And how nobody believed it. But it was true.

I remember part of that book was about his visiting Chicago or some other big city. You'd have thought he was in Somalia based on the stories. Jesus fuggin' Christ, both my grandfather's were in Chicago all the time. Never had any problems. Just, you know? Went to the city, did their schit, went home. Not a big deal.

If I want to hear somebody talk about themselves all fuggin day I'll stand in front of a mirror.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I get it. The guy definitely knew his schit when it it came to bullet launchers, but, if he was around today he'd....be posting on the 'Fire? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't have a subscription any more. And I had no idea this article was in the new issue. But my wife came home from getting groceries and said "I thought you'd want this since your subscription ran out."

Travis
Have you noticed that magazines will hit the shelves a good week before subscriptions are delivered? They do that because they know that some people will get impatient and buy what's on the shelf if they see something especially interesting, even though they have a subscription.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
My subscriptions usually hit before the newsstand. But I only have one subscription any more and that is Fur Fish and Game.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elmer Keith reminds me a little of Forrest Gump. A person of very humble beginnings, who still managed to influence the world. Keith was a heck of a lot smarter than the fictional character, of course, just not formally educated.

Jack O'Connor, who definitely DID know how to write was supposed to be the one who encouraged Keith to write his autobiography.

At some point, I need to read HIWT cover to cover. I was pretty young the last time I read him.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, I have the old copy VG mentioned.. Your thoughts on Elmer are interesting.. Met him several times and have some letters from him.. I liked the guy.. I am not a .338 fan, but he had his reasons for liking the caliber..
His writing was something to see.. Much like mine.. He just wrote on.
I have noticed he was NOT so set on the .338 for all game, until his dislike of O"Connor increased.. From all I have hear, it was pretty much a one sided thing, but he felt O'Connor had it in for him.. Can't say, but it was still interesting...

Everyone I know that saw Elmer shoot, said he was one heck of a shot,handgun, shotgun, rifle.. He was tops with all three..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DeFlave: I don't want anyone to get the impression I am an Elmer Keith fan - I'm not!
I am though, a dyed in the wool Jack O'Connor aficianado.
My ambivalence to Elmer Keith is not anything personal or a dislike of his writings but I am just not a "big bore" fan.
Pistols or Rifles.
I only got to talk to him once and he was not a large person by any stretch of the imagination - his books are now worth a batch of money though.
Jack O'Connors son (Bradford) was just through Dillon here a couple of days ago and stopped in for a very friendly chat at our local gunshop.
Bradford in the past has relayed to me some stories about his father that would stun/shock Jack's average fan.
To each their own I say's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, I would bet those are interesting tales.. Have some similar stories about Elmer... Two interesting characters..

Molon Labe
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, I have the old copy VG mentioned.. Your thoughts on Elmer are interesting.. Met him several times and have some letters from him.. I liked the guy.. I am not a .338 fan, but he had his reasons for liking the caliber..
His writing was something to see.. Much like mine.. He just wrote on.
I have noticed he was NOT so set on the .338 for all game, until his dislike of O"Connor increased.. From all I have hear, it was pretty much a one sided thing, but he felt O'Connor had it in for him.. Can't say, but it was still interesting...

Everyone I know that saw Elmer shoot, said he was one heck of a shot,handgun, shotgun, rifle.. He was tops with all three..

I know lots of folks like him and his writing. But it takes everything I have to finish one of his articles.

But I love me some 44's... grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinWell Travis, at this point in time you happen to be spreading the legend of Shrapnel grin When yer a crusty old codger could we depend on you to relay some Legend?? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Living legend:

[Linked Image]

Bane of society:

[Linked Image]

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's not just his grammar or writing style. It's the fact that 90% of the story is about him. And what he did. And how incredible it was. And how nobody believed it. But it was true.

I remember part of that book was about his visiting Chicago or some other big city. You'd have thought he was in Somalia based on the stories. Jesus fuggin' Christ, both my grandfather's were in Chicago all the time. Never had any problems. Just, you know? Went to the city, did their schit, went home. Not a big deal.

If I want to hear somebody talk about themselves all fuggin day I'll stand in front of a mirror.

Travis

ah, isn't chicago kind of like somalia today, given the residents?

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I've walked downtown many a night and never had a problem.

But I will say if you're playing with hookers within a few blocks of the United Center, you might want to stay alert.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does he recommend any powders that are actually in stock? Anywhere. On Earth.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Matter of fact, he did. And I bought some to try.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian is one of the few gun writers that I know who I would willingly share a hunting camp with.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually scored some 2400 today. And saw, but did not buy, 8lb kegs of TAC. smile

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Seeing TAC everywhere lately. It's kinda funny how everything comes in batches now.

Things have been relatively calm when stuff hits the shelves now, but when they do that run of Unique, watch the fugg out. grin

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Matter of fact, he did. And I bought some to try.

Travis

Jerkface, share with the class. You've got yours, so it's safe now.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
AA 2 and 7.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#7 ????? !!!!!! arrrrggghhh

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
No good?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hard to find. Need more for the 10mm smirk

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Keep an eye out. Because if they had it here that means they just did a run. You may see it soon.

Travis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Travis

Yes folks Travis has her well trained... The .40 he uses is a M&P that she bought him...(his last shot of the day he broke a clay bird at 100 yards with the third shot offhand)

That said she has him well trained also...he cooks all the meals, washes all the clothes, vacuums, cleans up after the dog, washes her car, changes the baby, does all the dishes and kisses the ground she walks on for just being nice enough to marry him.

It was really refreshing to see someone so much in love that he often gave up days worth of shooting just so she would not have to miss a soap opera by doing the grocery shopping...I think in the three days I was there we went to the store at least three times...(funny that most of the time however was spent in the "spirits" isle where he would often bump into "acquaintances").

The only disturbing thing being that when I did a load of my wash I had to change out the laundry that he had somehow failed to dry...and there were all his pink boxer shorts....

...well everybody has to have their "thing"...

Bob

ps...and if any of you believe the above I have a big bridge that runs between Upper and Low Michigan that is for sale...and you can put a toll booth on it...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Being nice to them will get you nowhere.

Travis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.