Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck......SWUACK! !!
I've known about ebola since the 80's, I know a little about it.
Its passed by more than just bodily fluids.
A cough, a sneeze, sweat that runs thru the eyes and innocently wiped with your hand or forearm, fluid from the eyes, say from crying, not washing your hands after going to the bath room, etc.
How many times when shaking it does a drop fling and get on your hand?
A virus doesn't immediately die when exposed to the outside air.
Why else do they scrub with bleach?

Say what you want, think what you want.
I for one, can see what's coming.
Incubation is short, where many won't see the symptoms as much more than a cold or flu.

Hopefully it'll run rampant in population centers and not spread to rural areas.
A good cleansing of the hood rat population can't be a bad thing.

Ill shut up for now, and just sit back and watch and listen.
Time will tell.
I wish us all the best.

If it gets crazy the Rez will just have to shut down borders.

And anymore even 'rural' areas in the lower 48 are fairly 'busy'. You'd simply have to go way out in the hills to avoid travelors. That or shut down planes and trains.

All those Texans flying back and forth to the nearby Bakken oilfield will probably bring it here.

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/02/14.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
He knew he had been directly exposed to the virus in Africa. He knew he had a very HIGH chance of catching it (carrying around the dying patients in his homeland). He knew that he would get free health care here. He had to have lied on his air travel questionaire to get on the US flights.

He knew what he was doing all along. Tip of the iceberg, unless they prosecute him very quickly.

A bullet in the head and quick trip to the hospital incinerator would serve better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on, people, bleeding from every orifice is a small price to pay to prove you is not a ray-ciss.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Camera man now coming back to the states with Ebola.

Have a great day all, off to shoot some ducks.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I also saw where his family that was under quarantine tried to leave the house. They had to post police outside the home to make sure they don't leave.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MILES58
Show me the meat one epidemic stopped at a border.

Couple points come to mind:

Just because an effort is unlikely to have perfect results, doesn't mean you don't make the attempt.

Why there aren't specific restrictions on those traveling through or from any of these 3 or 4 countries that currently are HOT is beyond me. Anyone that has one of these countries stamped on their passport needs to have special screening. Kind of like any traveler that currently travels to the US from Syria or Pakistan or shows on their passport to have traveled to one of these countries. But in this instance, people who have been in the HOT zone should be screened medically and profiled for their potential to be a vector.

Why we are providing any visas to anyone who is from the HOT zone is beyond me. Why we aren't restricting travel to the HOT zone for any US citizens except for medical personnel is also beyond me. If US citizens want to travel there, no problem, but they should be forced to quarantine themselves 3 weeks prior to their return.

As to your question Miles, the BSE epidemic that took place in Canada, Great Britain and the FMD epidemic that occurred in Europe and various countries in South America was mostly stopped in its tracks by severe travel restrictions.

Granted, these are an animal diseases, but that is the interesting thing. Our country attacked these problems more aggressively with regards to restrictions of cattle movement and movement of people as vectors than they are this outbreak of Ebola.

If you had traveled to a HOT zone during the BSE and FMD outbreaks, you were screened at multiple levels, required to answer direct questioning multiple times, forced to discard gear that could potentially be a carrying a vector, forced to wash and clean your shoes and other gear under the watchful eye of customs agents. Make sure you weren't transporting any meat product etc.

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/03/14. Reason: correcting ommision made while editing

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Just because an effort is unlikely to have perfect results, doesn't mean you don't make the attempt.

Why there aren't specific restrictions on those traveling through or from any of these 3 or 4 countries that currently are HOT is beyond me. Anyone that has one of these countries stamped on their passport needs to have special screening. Kind of like any traveler that currently travels to the US from Syria or Pakistan or shows on their passport to have traveled to one of these countries. But in this instance, people who have been in the HOT zone should be screened medically and profiled for their potential to be a vector.

Why we are providing any visas to anyone who is from the HOT zone is beyond me. Why we aren't restricting travel to the HOT zone for any US citizens except for medical personnel is also beyond me. If US citizens want to travel there, no problem, but they should be forced to quarantine themselves 3 weeks prior to their return.

As to your question Miles, the BSE epidemic that took place in Canada, Great Britain and various countries in South America was mostly stopped in its tracks by severe travel restrictions.

Granted, this is an animal disease, but that is the interesting thing. Our country attacked that problem more aggressively with regards to restrictions of cattle movement and movement of people than they are this outbreak of Ebola.

If you had traveled to a HOT zone during the BSE outbreak, you were screened at multiple levels, required to answer direct questioning multiple times, forced to discard gear that could potentially be a vector, forced to wash and clean your shoes and other gear under the watchful eye of customs agents.

This is why it's hard to keep a straight face when discussing something like Ebola with people who have no idea what they are talking about.

BSE is not transmissible in the normal sense of infectious disease. Prevent the ingestion of the prions whether in fecal matter or in processed feed and there is no transmission. That's why it is so effectively controlled without medication or vaccination.

BSE is transmitted by feeding animals (cows) "parts" from other animals rendered at temperatures inadequate to killing the prions that cause BSE. First, feeding cows other animal "parts" is just more than a little aberrant and asking for trouble. Second, feeding them sheep by products (parts) is begging trouble. Scrapie is the sheep version of BSE. Scrapie is not a new disease. Scrapie is near impossible to eliminate as we've found out in our wild cervids.

Lastly, BSE was not stopped by quarantine. It did make it to Europe and it did manage to infect people there. Granted, the people ate beef from the UK. But it was not stopped by barricade. It made it to Canada and the US. I do not know if the source was ever proven in US cattle to be traceable directly back to UK, but it matters not for this discussion since it did not get stopped in England and did make it to Canada and to Europe and a few other places if I remember right.

Ebola quite possibly could be prevented as effectively as BSE if as we suspect it is initially acquired by eating a carrier host species. BUT...once Ebola DISEASE is acquired by a human it becomes contagious to humans and some other primates who make the connection between body fluids of the infected human and ingestion/mucosal/blood contact to themselves.

I would very strongly suspect Ebola is transmissible well before a person becomes symptomatic, contrary to what CDC/WHO is saying though. I would surprise me greatly that it was not transmissible earlier in precisely the same way HIV is transmitted. It seems to be pretty clear that casual contact is sufficient for transmission which would indicate a low viral particle count is all it takes. That Ebola can incubate in as little as two days and produce severe illness in that time, is compelling argument that longer incubation would produce virus particles in blood and semen like with HIV and when combined with a low count needed to infect, that it probably would do so.

The evidence of HIV like transmission would be less obvious since Ebola produces severe illness and kills so quickly, and just physical contact is all it requires once symptoms begin. This is something that we'll probably learn out of this epidemic and that will just fall into the "yeah, that makes sense" category.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The news from this morning suggests that just taking a picture of someone with Ebola gets you there. I'm being sarcastic but yeah, I think we will find out that transmission is easier than has been said - and that's very bad news.

It doesn't stop at just contact or proximity to the person. It's what they've been in contact with such as clothing, sheets and so on. I agree with the comment early that such things should be immediately incinerated. This should be standard protocol for all proven cases. This includes any sort of non-hard surface furniture. A metal chair can be disinfected but anything with a cloth cushion is not worth the trouble it would take to disinfect it. I'd be burning the beds as well. Sweat soaks through sheets, as does any body fluid. Now is the time to move to serious protocols like this.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
The news from this morning suggests that just taking a picture of someone with Ebola gets you there. I'm being sarcastic but yeah, I think we will find out that transmission is easier than has been said - and that's very bad news.

It doesn't stop at just contact or proximity to the person. It's what they've been in contact with such as clothing, sheets and so on. I agree with the comment early that such things should be immediately incinerated. This should be standard protocol for all proven cases. This includes any sort of non-hard surface furniture. A metal chair can be disinfected but anything with a cloth cushion is not worth the trouble it would take to disinfect it. I'd be burning the beds as well. Sweat soaks through sheets, as does any body fluid. Now is the time to move to serious protocols like this.

Ever heard of doing laundry with bleach? Putting soiled bed linens in a dryer for and extra cycle without washing first with bleach likely would kill any virus on them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I also saw where his family that was under quarantine tried to leave the house. They had to post police outside the home to make sure they don't leave.

Could you imagine being the cop tasked with that job? What if they (the family)[i]realize they have it too and have nothing to gain by obeying orders?

Last edited by bhemry; 10/03/14. Reason: Added "the family" for clarification
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Shoot 'em in the lips.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He knew he had been directly exposed to the virus in Africa. He knew he had a very HIGH chance of catching it (carrying around the dying patients in his homeland). He knew that he would get free health care here. He had to have lied on his air travel questionaire to get on the US flights.

He knew what he was doing all along. Tip of the iceberg, unless they prosecute him very quickly.

Needs to be charged and prosecuted immediately. He lied to leave Liberia, so he could be treated in US.

What part of Obamacare covers this non citizen black prick? Maybe Pelosi can answer that now that it has been passed she can find out what's in it.

Last edited by Kojac; 10/03/14. Reason: a correction

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can not fix any of the problems as long as the POS is in power. The POS must be removed before we can start reversing the damage caused to this great nation. I am afraid a lot of people must die to fix the problems we have.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kojac

Needs to be charged and prosecuted immediately. He lied to leave Liberia, so he could be treated in US.

What part of Obamacare covers this non citizen black prick? Maybe Pelosi can answer that now that it has been passed she can find out what's in it.

If the pre trip exposure is as has been posted, that he had direct and substantial contact with someone he knew was infected, then he can and should be prosecuted.

Aside from his temperature being taken pre boarding, he certainly was asked if he had been in contact with anyone who was sick. Answering yes would have barred boarding the plane. Answering no is a criminal offense and is sufficient for deportation and entry on the no-fly list.

Prosecution would make it easier for those who may be subsequently infected to sue him as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

As to your question Miles, the BSE epidemic that took place in Canada, Great Britain and various countries in South America was mostly stopped in its tracks by severe travel restrictions.

Granted, this is an animal disease, but that is the interesting thing. Our country attacked that problem more aggressively with regards to restrictions of cattle movement and movement of people than they are this outbreak of Ebola.

If you had traveled to a HOT zone during the BSE outbreak, you were screened at multiple levels, required to answer direct questioning multiple times, forced to discard gear that could potentially be a vector, forced to wash and clean your shoes and other gear under the watchful eye of customs agents.

This is why it's hard to keep a straight face when discussing something like Ebola with people who have no idea what they are talking about.

BSE is not transmissible in the normal sense of infectious disease. Prevent the ingestion of the prions whether in fecal matter or in processed feed and there is no transmission. That's why it is so effectively controlled without medication or vaccination.

BSE is transmitted by feeding animals (cows) "parts" from other animals rendered at temperatures inadequate to killing the prions that cause BSE. First, feeding cows other animal "parts" is just more than a little aberrant and asking for trouble. Second, feeding them sheep by products (parts) is begging trouble. Scrapie is the sheep version of BSE. Scrapie is not a new disease. Scrapie is near impossible to eliminate as we've found out in our wild cervids.

Lastly, BSE was not stopped by quarantine. It did make it to Europe and it did manage to infect people there. Granted, the people ate beef from the UK. But it was not stopped by barricade. It made it to Canada and the US. I do not know if the source was ever proven in US cattle to be traceable directly back to UK, but it matters not for this discussion since it did not get stopped in England and did make it to Canada and to Europe and a few other places if I remember right.

Ebola quite possibly could be prevented as effectively as BSE if as we suspect it is initially acquired by eating a carrier host species. BUT...once Ebola DISEASE is acquired by a human it becomes contagious to humans and some other primates who make the connection between body fluids of the infected human and ingestion/mucosal/blood contact to themselves.

I would very strongly suspect Ebola is transmissible well before a person becomes symptomatic, contrary to what CDC/WHO is saying though. I would surprise me greatly that it was not transmissible earlier in precisely the same way HIV is transmitted. It seems to be pretty clear that casual contact is sufficient for transmission which would indicate a low viral particle count is all it takes. That Ebola can incubate in as little as two days and produce severe illness in that time, is compelling argument that longer incubation would produce virus particles in blood and semen like with HIV and when combined with a low count needed to infect, that it probably would do so.

The evidence of HIV like transmission would be less obvious since Ebola produces severe illness and kills so quickly, and just physical contact is all it requires once symptoms begin. This is something that we'll probably learn out of this epidemic and that will just fall into the "yeah, that makes sense" category.

My we are full of ourselves here aren't we??

Yes I am quite familiar with the transmission of BSE and the fact it is not contagious animal to animal.

Your question was, "Show me the meat one epidemic stopped at a border."

And I did. The epidemic of BSE was mostly stopped at the border by restricting transit of animals and animal products at our border.

My post was a little misleading in that I accidentally edited out my intended reference to FMD as well as BSE before I finished my first post. Both these diseases were stopped by severely restricting transport of animals and potential vectors coming into the United States.

The harsh screening we experienced repeatedly all had the focus of stopping FMD at our border. Was it fullproof? No, but nothing is.

As far as BSE goes, yes we stopped it by stopping the vectors from entering the country, older animals beyond 30 months of age and any byproducts that could contain the prions that could cause BSE.

I too am very wary of the statement that ebola is not transmissible until symptomatic. That makes no sense to me on the surface, but I don't really feel like reading up on the research that is used to support this argument. Suffice to say, based on my understanding of viral infections and their transmissions, I would be very concerned about transmission well before the host was symptomatic.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Yes I am quite familiar with the transmission of BSE and the fact it is not contagious animal to animal.

And I did. The epidemic of BSE was mostly stopped at the border by restricting transit of animals and animal products at our border.

My post was a little misleading in that I accidentally edited out my intended reference to FMD as well as BSE before I finished my first post. Both these diseases were stopped by severely restricting transport of animals and potential vectors coming into the United States.

The harsh screening we experienced repeatedly all had the focus of stopping FMD at our border. Was it fullproof? No, but nothing is.

As far as BSE goes, yes we stopped it by stopping the vectors from entering the country, older animals beyond 30 months of age and any byproducts that could contain the prions that could cause BSE.

I too am very wary of the statement that ebola is not transmissible until symptomatic. That makes no sense to me on the surface, but I don't really feel like reading up on the research that is used to support this argument. Suffice to say, based on my understanding of viral infections and their transmissions, I would be very concerned about transmission well before the host was symptomatic.

Not full of myself. Just tired of trying to inject a little sense into discussions between fear mongering idiots. Tell me whch border FMD was stopped at. In fact, find me a continent that never had it.

You need a better example.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Not full of myself. Just tired of trying to inject a little sense into discussions between fear mongering idiots. Tell me whch border FMD was stopped at. In fact, find me a continent that never had it.

You need a better example.

The most recent outbreaks of FMD that occurred in Great Britain and in Paraguay, Argentina etc. did not make it into the US. I have a few friends who had FMD on their ranches and farms in both Argnetina and Great Britan and it is a nasty, extremely infectious. USDA instituted restrictions on travelers coming from these hot areas and they worked.

In general, you are correct, borders are not extremely effective at stopping diseases, but that doesn't mean you don't make an effort and become proactive in trying to minimize the spread and ultimate damage done to our citizens.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
... but that doesn't mean you don't make an effort and become proactive in trying to minimize the spread and ultimate damage done to our citizens.
Bingo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
... but that doesn't mean you don't make an effort and become proactive in trying to minimize the spread and ultimate damage done to our citizens.
Bingo.

Like you know your ass from a hole in the ground.

It's not like we didn't learn from past experience that this doesn't work and that we have better ways, but that never stopped a xenophobe like TRH from peeing down his leg. Which gets hm a wet leg and nothing else.

If we haven't stopped or wiped out a single human disease at a border to keep doing that experiment over and over in the hope that maybe next time it will work has already been defined.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just wait

once we have a reported case in Washington D.C.,

you'll see congress get serious about it

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.