Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude:

Move on.

There will be another bear.

Every experienced hunter has been their...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I fired this rifle 48 times yesterday working up a load for it. Everything was tight and worked like it should. I haven't fired it since I've been back today, but I don't expect anything to be wrong with it.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, too bad you weren't carrying a 99...I'll give you $300 just to get that thing outta your sight.

i'll bump that to $310.75 . nice looking and I dooooooo like mausers.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Worth noting as far as handloading the 130 Barnes ttsx in this 30/06-

Barnes load data lists H414 start load as 61 gr and max as 66 grains. When I got to 64 my bolt handle stuck but good, and the primer pocket was 20% oversized and the primer was GONE. Gave myself my first scope eye, headache for the last two days. WTH? Went to the other manuals and they hover around 60 grains MAXIMUM for their brand 125 grain bullets. I should have cross referenced BEFORE I trusted Barnes data. May have contributed to my poor shooting. Got bit pretty good.
I ended up using RL15 with higher velocity and lower pressure.

Be careful reloading, don't trust everything you read, even from the manufacturers.

Way off topic now, but who doesn't like pretty wood on any rifle? It's a keeper.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/28/14.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glad to hear you caught the overload situation before it did any damage to you or such a fine rifle as your Mauser. I have been handloading since the early 70's and have always stayed in the middle of range on powder charges. Never owned a chronograph nor was I interested in achieving top velocity, my concern has always been finding a load that shot accurately in my rifle. My middle of the range loads have never failed to take the game I was hunting. After all dead is dead right? Why beat yourself or your rifle up with excessive recoil? I have been up and down the scale sizewise with the caliber of rifle I've hunted with. For years my go to elk rifle was a .338 WM shooting a 275gr. bullet over IMR4350, that was always enough killing power for me and never failed to produce a bang flop. As regards a 130gr. for bear, I have always used a heavier bullet. When I first started loading I used a 180gr. RN bullet, after shooting metallic silhoute with 168gr. bullet in a .308 I switched to a 165gr. bullet in the .30-06 and had great success with that bullet. Never had much experience with the Hodgden powders, in the last ten years or so I have been shooting mainly .257 Roberts and .35 Whelen. After extensive research, load development and range time I have settled on IMR4064 for these two calibers. RL-15 is another powder that I am currently doing some load development with, I think that you will find it is a good powder for your .30-06. I hope that my suggestions are helpful, Keep working with that Mauser. It is a fine rifle and I think you'll have the success you're looking for with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I think I see rotten wood in that butt stock, Roy. Perhaps you better throw it away. You know, in the green garbage can out back, at exactly 10PM tonight. Pay no heed to the big guy lurking in the shadows... whistle smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you gonna see some ally rassleing going on if you do! I will be there!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gun's fine. It's on me.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear fever... smile
It's not easy to hit the boiler room of a black shadow.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fear not, Roy. Anybody who says they never missed a game animal is either a liar or he's never been hunting before.

Heck, all the times I hunted black bears, I never even got a shot. (Well not really all that many trips, but still.) More than a couple bear rifles bought/built for Pennsylvania's three day bear seasons, and never dirtied a bore. (Thought I was going to once, but the "bear" that materialized out of the fog was an Amish guy who unwisely chose that day to go into the woods hunting for teaberries. Yep- black hat, beard, black coat, etc. Got my heart pumping when I saw him. Thank god I decided to watch him through binoculars until he was close enough for a sure shot. The idiot actually took umbrage when I yelled at him, and offered him the use of an orange vest to wear back out of the woods. Then he thanked me when the full impact of his stupidity dawned on him.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
You were using the wrong bullet, have to use a Rem. core-loct 150 grain 30-06! grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
You were using the wrong bullet, have to use a Rem. core-loct 150 grain 30-06! grin

Man what a butterball of a bear Ken.

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.